Retractable Screen Decision Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blipszyc

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Retractable Screen Decision Help

Looking for a recommendation on a motorized electric screen for my family room. I've got some ambient light, so I've narrowed it down to either the Elite Cinegray 5D material or Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 material. I'm looking to go 120" 16:9, paired up with an Epson 5040 mounted approx. 17' back.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5040 and any of these materials?

What's the difference between all the motorized models? Starling Tab, Saker Tab, Solo, Solo2, 5 Motorized? Seems like an awful lot of options and nothing is very clear on the websites.

Thanks in advance.
Gamecock24 likes this.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Looking for a recommendation on a motorized electric screen for my family room. I've got some ambient light, so I've narrowed it down to either the Elite Cinegray 5D material or Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 material. I'm looking to go 120" 16:9, paired up with an Epson 5040 mounted approx. 17' back.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5040 and any of these materials?

What's the difference between all the motorized models? Starling Tab, Saker Tab, Solo, Solo2, 5 Motorized? Seems like an awful lot of options and nothing is very clear on the websites.

Thanks in advance.

I’m in the same boat as you and have looked into all the screens you have mentioned. As far as I can tell the Starling and Shaker screens differ with the white screen materials Max White FG, Cine White and Acoustic Pro UHD. Both have Cinegrey 5D options with Starling and Evanescence maxing out at 106”. I ordered a sample of the 5D material and didn’t really like it. It seemed really sensitive to angles and wouldn’t work for my setup so started looking into other screens.
One of them I looked into was Elunevision screens. Their Aurora material fits in with the Slate and Cinegrey as well and are in same price range but they don’t send screen samples so the jury is still out them for me.
I also looked SI and came across the Solo line. I’m really interested in that screen solely because it’s battery powered and I wouldn’t have to run power to it. From what I can tell the difference between Solo and Solo 2 is the screen size. First gen Solo screens maxed out at 106”. Solo 2 go up to 160” and allow for up to 120” to be battery powered. The Pro line allow for bespoke screen sizes and the full array screen materials are offered. Also there is the choice of colors available for the cassette. The Solo 2 also has the option for reverse screen orientation so the screen rolls down from the front of the case leaving a wider gap from the wall of wall mounted.
I have emailed SI on Thursday asking for screen samples but haven’t received a response yet with the holiday but I may end up calling them on Monday just talk with them for screen recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gamecock24; 04-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I ordered a sample of the 5D material and didn’t really like it. It seemed really sensitive to angles and wouldn’t work for my setup so started looking into other screens.
Thanks for the info. What kind of setup do you have that makes it not work?

I did wish more screen places sold samples of their material.

The Solo/Solo2 battery powered would be great for me too, but likely adds unnecessary cost. (Could probably get an outlet added for less than the markup of the “battery” case)

4.0 - TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

I have a table top setup where my viewing angle is equal to the projector angle. Cinegrey ideal setup requires an opposite equal angle using reflection. If I had a ceiling mounted projector it wouldn’t be a problem but the wife doesn’t want my black projector hanging from the living room ceiling. That’s one reason I’ve been looking at in ceiling screens. But with the different color cases offered on the Solos and the silver color looks like it will match my walls it got WAF. There aren’t too many ALR electric screens on the market as you may know. I have compared it to the Elunevision motorized tab tension screen which only available in black and not wife approved. I did discuss a custom built in ceiling screen with their Aurora ALR material and the quote they gave me is equal to the cost of a SI Solo screen with battery. With that being the case and the Solo having an easier install with out the need for an outlet or cutting a huge hole in my ceiling, the Solo just seems to be the best choice for me. It also has the added benefit of not being a permanent install. I really just need to sort which screen material to go with. I have a 3200 lumen PJ so the Slate .8 could be a potential for me but Slate 1.2 also interest me.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I have a 3200 lumen PJ so the Slate .8 could be a potential for me but Slate 1.2 also interest me.
Were you able to get any screen samples from SI?

4.0 - TBD
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got off the phone with them and they directed me to email their orders department a list of samples I want and my address. I requested Slate 0.8, 1.2, Pure White, Unity White, Solar Gray and Solar white.
I’m not sure how long it will take to receive them but will post my results once they come.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Have you thought about buying a cheap motorized screen an paint it yourself? There are good threads in the Forum on how to do it.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got a tracking number on my SI screen samples. It feels like that took forever. I was about to roll the dice and just buy a Slate 1.2 screen.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Here’s some screen shots with SI screen samples. Unity 1.0, Pure white 1.3, Pure grey 0.85, Slate 1.2, and Slate 0.8. I’m using an Optoma UHD51ALV which 3200 lumen. The picture is from network TV over DirecTV. The screen in the background is a temporary spandex Amazon screen, gain unknown 0.6-0.8 is my guess.
These are some shots at night with low room lights.

Some day shots with ambient light in the room.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 05-13-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page