Best, Budget 4k+ Compatible Screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Best, Budget 4k+ Compatible Screen?

My goal is to create technical reviews of home theater projectors, and I am currently in the process of building my testing room. I am restricted to a screen size of 92" and a throw distance of up to 10ft. Testing of both 1080p and 4k projectors will need to be as accurate as my budget allows. My budget is capped at about $1000, but I want to get a screen in the sweet-spot of performance and cost. The room will be fully light controlled with black velvet, dark grey carpet, and black paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm by no means an expert - I'm shopping for my first screen and projector now, but my research says Silver Ticket screens are the best bang for the buck.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
I’m no expert but I think you will need a much larger room and a larger screen size to do any kind of testing over a wide range of projectors. Is the $1k budget for just the screen?

I would be looking for a 1.0 gain/ unity gain screen.

Contact Stewart Film Screens and tell them what you are doing and that you want a reference screen for testing projectors.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I’m no expert but I think you will need a much larger room and a larger screen size to do any kind of testing over a wide range of projectors. Is the $1k budget for just the screen?

I would be looking for a 1.0 gain/ unity gain screen.

Contact Stewart Film Screens and tell them what you are doing and that you want a reference screen for testing projectors.
The $1K is for the screen but I would prefer it to be cheaper. I am building a 12'x7'x7' "room" to go inside of a 16'x12'x8' room that also is my office. The fake room will be a wood frame wrapped in Black Velvet that I am buying wholesale. I will redo some measurements to see if I can expand the dimensions.

To the experts, what would be the max throw that I should account for? Using the calculator on Projector Central, it looked like all the popular projectors had a minimum throw of 10' at the longest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page