Can I use black fabric as a screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can I use black fabric as a screen?

Currently I have a fixed 135" screen and sitting about 16 feet away. My HT is in an unfinished basement and to ward off reflection, I have covered the walls with black fabric, if i move the projector and rearrange the room, I can go bigger on the screen dimentions, but I dont want to buy another fixed screen, can I use the wall which is covered with this black velvet type fabric and project floor to ceiling onto it?

The new seating distance will be around 18 feet from the screen/wall. The room is 20x20 with one side open, and can put the projector a bit far to cover most of the wall, just not sure how it would look projecting on the fabric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
If you remove the black fabric and prep the wall so it is perfectly flat and smooth with no texture and use one of the Screen paint formulas that are available in the DIY screen section of the forum. You put black fabric on the walls to absorb light, a screen surface must reflect the light so you can see the image so black is not a good choice for screen fabric.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I should have been more clear, this is in an unfinished basements and there is no drywall, its concrete wall covered with insulation and has plastic on top and I hung the black fabric over it to stop the bright reflection.

I guess as you are saying it won’t work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 488
It won't work with black fabric, just replace it with white fabric.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Really dark fabric can be used for a screen. But it requires greatly increased projector lumens. For example, if you are using a 2,000-lumen projector to properly illuminate a 1.0 gain white screen and switched to a dark grey, nearly black screen with a gain of 0.1 you would need 10 times as many projector lumens or 20,000 lumens to get the same image brightness. If you already have the projector and the black material on the wall it should be pretty simple to try projecting an image on the black material to see what it looks like to your own eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page