If you had a chose of a SilverTicket 120" screen or Elite Pull up floor screen which? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you had a chose of a SilverTicket 120" screen or Elite Pull up floor screen which?

Which one would you choose ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry this is for a BenQ HT3550 projector.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Read up on the Elite Ezcinema pull up screens. They are known to detach at the lower half as it's only connected with adhesive. I would steer clear if you could. Mine did, and I rarely used it. Out of warranty and Elite basically said I was sh*t out of luck. Unless they have changed the way they are manufactured now, I don't know. Silver Ticket does seem to get high praise.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Read up on the Elite Ezcinema pull up screens. They are known to detach at the lower half as it's only connected with adhesive. I would steer clear if you could. Mine did, and I rarely used it. Out of warranty and Elite basically said I was sh*t out of luck. Unless they have changed the way they are manufactured now, I don't know. Silver Ticket does seem to get high praise.

Thanks that is interesting.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Which one would you choose ?
That's easy to answer. A fixed screen is superior to a retractable screen because retractables eventually develop at least minor wrinkles and waves while fixed screens stay taut and flat. The only reason to pick a retractable screen over a fixed one is if you can't or don't want to use a fixed screen in the room and you're willing to accept an image compromised by at least minor wrinkles and waves, which some are more sensitive to than others.

As far as the ezCinema screen separating I documented a fix for that in the linked thread below. Since a fixed screen wouldn't work in my room the ezCinema was the best option for me. It has developed minor waves but I don't really notice them while viewing content so they don't bother me. But I would not recommend it to anyone unless they're willing to do this simple fix:

avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2769857-elite-ezcinema-screen-problem-diy-fix.html
ng4ever likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
That's easy to answer. A fixed screen is superior to a retractable screen because retractables eventually develop at least minor wrinkles and waves while fixed screens stay taut and flat. The only reason to pick a retractable screen over a fixed one is if you can't or don't want to use a fixed screen in the room and you're willing to accept an image compromised by at least minor wrinkles and waves, which some are more sensitive to than others.

As far as the ezCinema screen separating I documented a fix for that in the linked thread below. Since a fixed screen wouldn't work in my room the ezCinema was the best option for me. It has developed minor waves but I don't really notice them while viewing content so they don't bother me. But I would not recommend it to anyone unless they're willing to do this simple fix:

avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2769857-elite-ezcinema-screen-problem-diy-fix.html

Thanks but how much better is a fixed screen compared to a retractable screen? Is it a lot better that it is noticeable or not really ?

This is with a 4k BenQ HT3550 projector
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks but how much better is a fixed screen compared to a retractable screen? Is it a lot better that it is noticeable or not really ?

This is with a 4k BenQ HT3550 projector
As I said in my previous post, some are more sensitive to waves and wrinkles in projection screens than others. In addition to that there's no way to predict how many waves and wrinkles a given retractable screen might develop or how big they might be as it varies from screen to screen even within the same brand and model. So it's totally unpredictable how bad any particular screen might get and how sensitive any individual might be to that. Others can tell you what their experience was but no one can predict what may or may not work for you. You either need to be willing to take a gamble on a retractable screen or, if you prefer a sure thing, just stick with a fixed screen.
ng4ever likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
As I said in my previous post, some are more sensitive to waves and wrinkles in projection screens than others. In addition to that there's no way to predict how many waves and wrinkles a given retractable screen might develop or how big they might be as it varies from screen to screen even within the same brand and model. So it's totally unpredictable how bad any particular screen might get and how sensitive any individual might be to that. Others can tell you what their experience was but no one can predict what may or may not work for you. You either need to be willing to take a gamble on a retractable screen or, if you prefer a sure thing, just stick with a fixed screen.

Thanks.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Outside of fixed screens the next best option to avoid wrinkles and waves is an adjustable tab tension screen. While even tab tension screens can develop minor issues over time, those that allow you to adjust individual tabs can be re-tensioned in a way to eliminate any wrinkles and waves that might develop. Unfortunately adjustable tab tension screens are more expensive than standard tab tension, standard retractable and fixed screens.
ng4ever likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Dave in Green how was your ezCinema screen with wrinkles and how big was your screen ?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Silver Ticket for the win!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dave in Green how was your ezCinema screen with wrinkles and how big was your screen ?
Mine is the 100" 16:9 aspect ratio model. With lights on and no image on the screen if I look at it from the side I see what I consider to be minor waves and the black borders curling in slightly. With lights out while watching a movie or sports I don't see any effect from the waves or the curled in black borders. For me a screen doesn't have to be perfectly flat to be enjoyable as long as the imperfections are so minor that they don't call attention to themselves when viewing content. Perfectionists who go looking for the smallest imperfections might see it differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page