Motorized In Ceiling-What to Select - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Motorized In Ceiling-What to Select

Hey all, looking for some advice on what makes of in-ceiling motorized screens I should consider. There seems to be many makes and I am new to this projector world.

The install will be in an outside patio which will have ambient light (even though somewhat enclosed), so not sure if there is a particular screen material I should focus on for my setup.

I would prefer to keep the cost under $1,500. The size I might go with is about 110-112.

TY, for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Al View Post
...I am new to this projector world...

The install will be in an outside patio which will have ambient light .

In my opinion, if you intend to use it during the daytime, you will be severely disappointed, even with indirect sunlight. The sun is incredibly bright - our eyes do an amazing job filtering it out, but a consumer projector absolutely won't keep up. Did you have professional help with the projector selection and placement or did you see a photoshopped image in a magazine that made it seem like you could have an OLED experience on your patio?

Back to you question though, there are universal kits to make any screen fit an in-ceiling install, you just need to make sure there is enough drop (black fabric above screen). So you should be able to safely shop around for screen material before worrying about the kits, which are under $200 from Elite on Amazon. If, again, you are planning for daytime use, you'll be looking at specialized ambient light rejecting material, which can be very directional, so you'll need to have your angles and positions planned out before selection. Might help you get advice if you post more detail for the screen experts to use. Projector, layout, photos of area, etc.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
In my opinion, if you intend to use it during the daytime, you will be severely disappointed, even with indirect sunlight. The sun is incredibly bright - our eyes do an amazing job filtering it out, but a consumer projector absolutely won't keep up. Did you have professional help with the projector selection and placement or did you see a photoshopped image in a magazine that made it seem like you could have an OLED experience on your patio?

Back to you question though, there are universal kits to make any screen fit an in-ceiling install, you just need to make sure there is enough drop (black fabric above screen). So you should be able to safely shop around for screen material before worrying about the kits, which are under $200 from Elite on Amazon. If, again, you are planning for daytime use, you'll be looking at specialized ambient light rejecting material, which can be very directional, so you'll need to have your angles and positions planned out before selection. Might help you get advice if you post more detail for the screen experts to use. Projector, layout, photos of area, etc.
The projector I am considering is HD39Darbee, I chose this one because it's a good balance for movies, sports and gaming (very good lag). My patio will be enclosed by 3 large black bug screens, so I do expect to have less ambient light to deal with.

The size of the patio is 17 X 12. How do you determine how much drop you need?

I'm a bit confused on your comments about shopping for screen material before looking at kits. Can you please elaborate on this? Don't they come together as a package?

I have read that tension ropes should be a must when selecting a screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page