Mounted screen to high - How to fix? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By tqlla
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By tqlla
  • 1 Post By acras13
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By theagent

post #1 of 23 Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mounted screen too high - How to fix?

So, I took an extraordinary amount of time to decide how high I wanted the screen. Measured everything up several times, drilled, screwed screws, mounted screen... It's a few inches higher than expected.

Is there a preferred way to lower it without drilling new holes? It's a Silver Ticket screen.

Last edited by theagent; 07-02-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Drill new hole, patch old holes and touch up the paint if they show.
Or leave it as it is and get used to it.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Drill new hole, patch old holes and touch up the paint if they show.
Or leave it as it is and get used to it.

I did ask if there was a preferred way "without drilling new holes." Not sure why there's always a snarky reply like this. Got the same thing when I asked about my ceiling mounting solution.
I get it, no big thing to patch holes, but that's not what I'm asking.

I was thinking wire, d-ring, etc. Just seeing if there's a preferred way. Anyway, it's cool, whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, that's just how I react to certain questions and will try to ignore those type in the future as my response is taken as being rude or a smart @#$ when it is not my intent.

To me the preferred way is the way the instructions with the product tell you do to it, which is usually the safest most secure way. You are asking for peoples preference on how to do something less correct, if it can be screwed to the wall as the manufacture most likely instructs (as it is already) there is no other preferred preference.

Sure there are other methods to hang a picture frame, use wires or filament, make french cleats, build a stand and make it free standing, build a shelf and sit it on the shelf, you can probably even use long strips of Velcro, But non of those would be a preferred methods in the context of you situation, "the fact your can screw it to the wall".

Doug

Last edited by airscapes; 07-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
If you lower the screen a few inches aren't the existing upper holes in the wall going to show? If you're OK with that then simply go to a hardware store and look for hardware that can be used as extensions of the appropriate length. Screw the extensions into the existing holes in the wall and attach to screen to the extensions at the new preferred height.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
I did ask if there was a preferred way "without drilling new holes." Not sure why there's always a snarky reply like this. Got the same thing when I asked about my ceiling mounting solution.
I get it, no big thing to patch holes, but that's not what I'm asking.

I was thinking wire, d-ring, etc. Just seeing if there's a preferred way. Anyway, it's cool, whatever.
He gave you his opinion on what would be the best solution. You should apologize for portraying him as a bully.

Drill new holes, they will be covered by the screen. The new holes are not the problem, the old ones are.
ian#77 likes this.

Last edited by tqlla; 07-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
If you are wondering why you keep getting "Snarky" replies, perhaps you should look in the mirror. He gave you his opinion on what would be the best solution. You should apologize for portraying him as a bully.

Drill new holes, they will be covered by the screen. The new holes are not the problem, the old ones are.

When I specifically asked if there were ways to lower it without drilling, and the reply is "drill holes, or get used to it," yeah, that's a bit of a "snarky" reply. I mentioned specifically that I didn't want to drill new holes. Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe I have a wall hole quota that I've exceeded. Maybe I've been told not to drill any more holes. Maybe my drill broke. Whatever the case.

Drilling new holes and patching the old is obvious. I asked for an alternative because I figure it would be easier to make adjustments if needed. And what are you his mother? I don't "keep getting snarky replies." It's just when I asked about holes. People have a thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes
Sorry, that's just how I react to certain questions and will try to ignore those type in the future as my response is taken as being rude or a smart @#$ when it is not my intent.

To me the preferred way is the way the instructions with the product tell you do to it, which is usually the safest most secure way. You are asking for peoples preference on how to do something less correct, if it can be screwed to the wall as the manufacture most likely instructs (as it is already) there is no other preferred preference.

Sure there are other methods to hang a picture frame, use wires or filament, make french cleats, build a stand and make it free standing, build a shelf and sit it on the shelf, you can probably even use long strips of Velcro, But non of those would be a preferred methods in the context of you situation, "the fact your can screw it to the wall".

It's cool, I get it. I just figured I can't be the only one who's made this mistake, so I wondered what was possibly the most flexible solution. I haven't been sleeping, so I must have miscalculated the original height. All made worse by the fact that it's absolutely perfectly level just based on measurement alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green
If you lower the screen a few inches aren't the existing upper holes in the wall going to show? If you're OK with that then simply go to a hardware store and look for hardware that can be used as extensions of the appropriate length. Screw the extensions into the existing holes in the wall and attach to screen to the extensions at the new preferred height.

I don't so much mind if it's visible, if it's not horrible looking. I guess I'll see what I can find, thanks.

Last edited by theagent; 07-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe something like mending braces.

theagent likes this.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 07-03-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Maybe something like mending braces.

Ah, yeah, that's what I originally had in my head, but I didn't know what they were called, thanks. I had this in my cart originally, which is similar. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I was trying to decide between that or hanging wire.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hanging wire could certainly work.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent
Not sure why there's always a snarky reply like this. Got the same thing when I asked about my ceiling mounting solution.

Quote:
I don't "keep getting snarky replies." It's just when I asked about holes. People have a thing here.

If you ask a question, dont get offended when people give you their opinions. You dont want to hear it, but he gave you the best solutions.

Quote: Originally Posted by theagent
Maybe I have a wall hole quota that I've exceeded. Maybe I've been told not to drill any more holes. Maybe my drill broke.

"Then leave it as is, and get used to it."

I am sure you can come up with some homemade solution, which would still be noticeable, take more time, probably put your screen at an angle and put your family at risk of a falling screen. But why bother doing that, when you could just remount the screen properly.

Quote:
I don't "keep getting snarky replies." It's just when I asked about holes. People have a thing here.

Hi, you missed this part.

At this risk of sounding rude myself, you're being a bit dramatic. People hang 100lb portraits all the time. Wire and hanging brackets have different / capable weight capacities. I was asking because I figured it's been done. I asked a question with a specific restriction (i.e. no new drilling), ignoring that restriction doesn't make for the best solution, because everyone's needs are different right? I stated mine. I'm not offended.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, you missed this part.

At this risk of sounding rude myself, you're being a bit dramatic. People hang 100lb portraits all the time. Wire and hanging brackets have different / capable weight capacities. I was asking because I figured it's been done. I asked a question with a specific restriction (i.e. no new drilling), ignoring that restriction doesn't make for the best solution, because everyone's needs are different right? I stated mine. I'm not offended.
Do people hang 100lb portraits on a wire with 2 small screws holding them up? Even if they do, thats not something I would suggest doing.

You can try attaching these hooks to your screen. https://www.amazon.com/Shappy-Hangin...dp/B074GYPNMG/

I looked at a silver ticket screen and that specific screen held up by two screws. I just dont see the purpose of coming up with a homemade solution, when 2 screws would solve your problems.

Last edited by tqlla; 07-03-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do people hang 100lb portraits on a wire with 2 small screws holding them up? Even if they do, thats not something I would suggest doing.

I would say, do it right, or dont do it at all. I looked at a silver ticket screen and that specific screen held up by two screws. Any solution you come up with, will be more noticeable than 2 screw holes.

I mean, I don't intend to hang 100lbs, I'm just giving you an example. This screen is 30lbs? I think whatever would hold up a 100lb frame would be capable.

But anyway, back to the point. It wasn't about it being noticeable. I just didn't want to put more holes in the wall if there was a way to make it work with the holes I had already created, regardless of visibility.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't about it being noticeable. I just didn't want to put more holes in the wall if there was a way to make it work with the holes I had already created, regardless of visibility.
I notice you have only a few posts and I have to wonder how long you have been reading AVS. I have to assume not long. If you had, you would realize that "Most" people who set up a home theater are interested in making it look as good as possible. What you are doing makes no logical sense to any of us, it almost feels like you are trolling. You managed to drill 2 hole, and hang the screen.. Now you want to go buy more stuff to ugly it up so you don't have to drill 2 more holes. That just make's us shake our heads in disbelieve.. and what makes me feel like you are trolling, and it is working.. So I am stepping away and wish you luck in your project that could have been completed correctly in all the time you spent asking how to hack it up ..

Doug

post #15 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I notice you have only a few posts and I have to wonder how long you have been reading AVS. I have to assume not long. If you had, you would realize that "Most" people who set up a home theater are interested in making it look as good as possible. What you are doing makes no logical sense to any of us, it almost feels like you are trolling. You managed to drill 2 hole, and hang the screen.. Now you want to go buy more stuff to ugly it up so you don't have to drill 2 more holes. That just make's us shake our heads in disbelieve.. and what makes me feel like you are trolling, and it is working.. So I am stepping away and wish you luck in your project that could have been completed correctly in all the time you spent asking how to hack it up ..

It's not as though I intentionally mounted the screen higher than intended. I took a considerably long time planning, measuring, marking points, and testing to make sure it would be as clean an install as possible. I wasn't shy about calling it a "mistake." I'm renting, and the landlord already seemed iffy about us putting 2 screws in the wall, so I was trying to make it work with my mistake. I asked here because I wanted the cleanest looking solution to make it work. It's not rocket science, I could go out and get whatever to make it happen. But I figured others have done similar things and had solutions for a clean, maybe adjustable setup. But it's weird to me that on a discussion board with so many people there are so few willing to discuss alternative approaches, or entertain the idea that someone has limitations or doesn't want to do things as intended. I can't imagine the reaction some of you would have if I shared how I currently have my projector mounted, and the lengths I went to not to put holes in the ceiling. I can only assume there would be audible gasps, and clutching of pearls. To me this is all fun though, I like thinking up solutions. I guess that means I'm constantly "trolling."
post #16 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not as though I intentionally mounted the screen higher than intended. I took a considerably long time planning, measuring, marking points, and testing to make sure it would be as clean an install as possible. I wasn't shy about calling it a "mistake." I'm renting, and the landlord already seemed iffy about us putting 2 screws in the wall, so I was trying to make it work with my mistake. I asked here because I wanted the cleanest looking solution to make it work. It's not rocket science, I could go out and get whatever to make it happen. But I figured others have done similar things and had solutions for a clean, maybe adjustable setup. But it's weird to me that on a discussion board with so many people there are so few willing to discuss alternative approaches, or entertain the idea that someone has limitations or doesn't want to do things as intended. I can't imagine the reaction some of you would have if I shared how I currently have my projector mounted, and the lengths I went to not to put holes in the ceiling. I can only assume there would be audible gasps, and clutching of pearls. To me this is all fun though, I like thinking up solutions. I guess that means I'm constantly "trolling."
I doubt that many people have done anything similar, because the proper route is easy and costs nothing. Also, if its just a few inches, I think most people would just live with it.

Just fill the holes, drill two new ones. If you do it correctly, the landlord wont have a reason to complain. Seriously its two screws. Do they complain about you putting pictures on the wall?
Liquid$team likes this.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 293
My preferred method involves a couple strips of 10 gauge stainless steel strap , 3" wide , a sheet metal brake , drill press , 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut blade and 120 grit flapper wheel and a body working hammer for fine tuning . But thats because I like to have little fabrication projects and I have all the equipment and material in my garage .

Your mending strap idea will work , but you will have to have screws and nuts attaching the factory cleats to the straps , which will damage the wall , resulting in the same amount of repair to your rental as if you drill new holes and patch the old ones , unless you are going to crazy glue the pieces together or use epoxy. Given that you might need more adjustability than those mending straps provide with the holes in them , you might look at plumbers tape , it'll hold the weight of your screen no problem , or you can make really sure and double it up , and it has holes every half inch or so.
theagent likes this.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #18 of 23 Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
I would suggest two strips of wood that reach floor to ceiling and attached using the old hole location. They could be 1x2 laid flat and painted to match the wall color. Now you have an infinite number of places you can screw too and not damage the walls. I like the screen standing off the wall a bit anyway.

I personally like an adjustable French cleat method that allows each side to be adjusted for height and allows side to side movement of the screen. makes fine tuning easy and also makes projector placement not as exact.
theagent likes this.

Bud
post #19 of 23 Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Wow! All this back and forth cause some dude wants to avoid patching holes lol

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #20 of 23 Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
A proper screw hole patch will be invisible and this landlord person will never know.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #21 of 23 Old 07-04-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@theagent , it's really a waste of time to argue with people who give you advice you don't like. It makes for a friendlier, easier to read thread if you just ignore the folks whose advice you don't find helpful and focus on the advice that suits you. Those who snap at others who are just trying to be helpful tend to get labeled as trolls whether or not they are actually trying to troll. Criticizing those who take the time to offer advice can discourage others from posting potential solutions that you might find more to your liking.
theagent likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
@theagent , it's really a waste of time to argue with people who give you advice you don't like. It makes for a friendlier, easier to read thread if you just ignore the folks whose advice you don't find helpful and focus on the advice that suits you. Those who snap at others who are just trying to be helpful tend to get labeled as trolls whether or not they are actually trying to troll. Criticizing those who take the time to offer advice can discourage others from posting potential solutions that you might find more to your liking.
I agree anytime I post in the CIH forum I’m called a troll and when I post in other forums I’m mostly ignored. All things considered it is nicer to be ignored than called a troll.

Getting back on topic my method of presentation is to use whatever area of a DIY painted stealth wall screen. It is quite easy to move or size the image and I never drill a hole in anything.

No need to comment just ignore the above suggestion.
theagent likes this.

Bud
post #23 of 23 Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
My preferred method involves a couple strips of 10 gauge stainless steel strap , 3" wide , a sheet metal brake , drill press , 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut blade and 120 grit flapper wheel and a body working hammer for fine tuning . But thats because I like to have little fabrication projects and I have all the equipment and material in my garage .

Your mending strap idea will work , but you will have to have screws and nuts attaching the factory cleats to the straps , which will damage the wall , resulting in the same amount of repair to your rental as if you drill new holes and patch the old ones , unless you are going to crazy glue the pieces together or use epoxy. Given that you might need more adjustability than those mending straps provide with the holes in them , you might look at plumbers tape , it'll hold the weight of your screen no problem , or you can make really sure and double it up , and it has holes every half inch or so.

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the plumbers tape idea, and I could probably even pretty it up by 3D printing a sleeve where it's visible. I think I can make that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I would suggest two strips of wood that reach floor to ceiling and attached using the old hole location. They could be 1x2 laid flat and painted to match the wall color. Now you have an infinite number of places you can screw too and not damage the walls. I like the screen standing off the wall a bit anyway.

I personally like an adjustable French cleat method that allows each side to be adjusted for height and allows side to side movement of the screen. makes fine tuning easy and also makes projector placement not as exact.

I was thinking that with the wood, but then I figured it might be too heavy, but I like the screen standing off the wall a bit too. I have a couple of ideas for masking the bars on 2:35:1 movies, so it'll be nice to have the bit of space. I'll have to look into the french cleat though. I know it's adjustable side to side, but I didn't know it could be adjusted for height. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Fair point, you're right. Admittedly, I was grumpy that day. Haven't been sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I agree anytime I post in the CIH forum I’m called a troll and when I post in other forums I’m mostly ignored. All things considered it is nicer to be ignored than called a troll.

Getting back on topic my method of presentation is to use whatever area of a DIY painted stealth wall screen. It is quite easy to move or size the image and I never drill a hole in anything.

No need to comment just ignore the above suggestion.

If house prices ever settle down in So Cal I'll make that happen.
Dave in Green likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page