Ultra Short Throw UST Ceiling Mount with ALR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By fierce_gt
  • 2 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By Imageek2
  • 1 Post By Imageek2

post #1 of 23 Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ultra Short Throw UST Ceiling Mount with ALR

Don't do it guys.. Haha.. Just sharing my $1030 misfortune.. I knew in theory it won't work.. Just a plain stubborn guy here..

Projector : Xiaomi 4K 2019 UST
Screen Brand : Focusview
Manufacturing Country : China
Gain : 0.5
ALR Technology : Fresnel/Saw Pattern
Screen Material : Hard
Projector Screen Position : Upside down
Projector Position : Ceiling Mount

Last edited by Mjzsakae; 07-15-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

More samples

Last edited by Mjzsakae; 07-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was confused by the first set of photos. The second set of photos looks quite good, so I'm not sure what the problem is and why you are saying people shouldn't "do it". I have an UST projector and UST ALR screen as well, and in broad daylight my results look identical to yours. If you thought under direct sunlight the picture was going to look like a large flat panel then indeed you made a $1030 mistake. However the fact you can see the picture as well as you can with that amount of sunlight directly hitting the screen should make you extremely happy. Just my opinion of course .

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
i'm a little confused as well. perhaps a little explanation is needed.

in that location, i don't think an LCD tv would provide an acceptable image with the blinds up. with the blinds down it looks pretty good?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 23 Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I was confused by the first set of photos. The second set of photos looks quite good, so I'm not sure what the problem is and why you are saying people shouldn't "do it". I have an UST projector and UST ALR screen as well, and in broad daylight my results look identical to yours. If you thought under direct sunlight the picture was going to look like a large flat panel then indeed you made a $1030 mistake. However the fact you can see the picture as well as you can with that amount of sunlight directly hitting the screen should make you extremely happy. Just my opinion of course .
Did u ceiling mount your projector?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just sharing some day time photo.. The main point for people who ceiling mount.. For ceiling mount UST, u have to flip your screen up side down to use it.. If u look at the Thanos photo, when I shine a lamp from the bottom where the alr now works, the picture looks great.. But when I shine the lamp from the top where it is in the same direction with the projector's light source, the image pales out.. When I on my ceiling light, the image is not watchable/acceptable for me..

post #7 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

i see what you're getting at now.

that being said, what are your expectations and what kind of lighting do you have? i don't have an ALR screen, but i have aimable potlights with dimmers in two different zones.

i guess it's frustrating to spend the extra for ALR and then getting less out of it because you mounted it upside down, but with some careful lighting you should still be able to get some value from it. I imagine it's still ok at rejecting light from straight on? in which case you could still turn on some lights near your seats without completely washing out the image on screen.

here's what mine looks like(again, just a 'normal' screen) under different lighting conditions
All lights off:

seating lights on low(i honestly wouldn't want them any brighter 90% of the time):

seating lights on full:

front lights on full (basically to show you how bad overhead lighting can be on screens):
shivaji likes this.

post #8 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i see what you're getting at now.

that being said, what are your expectations and what kind of lighting do you have? i don't have an ALR screen, but i have aimable potlights with dimmers in two different zones.

i guess it's frustrating to spend the extra for ALR and then getting less out of it because you mounted it upside down, but with some careful lighting you should still be able to get some value from it. I imagine it's still ok at rejecting light from straight on? in which case you could still turn on some lights near your seats without completely washing out the image on screen.

here's what mine looks like(again, just a 'normal' screen) under different lighting conditions

All lights off:

seating lights on low(i honestly wouldn't want them any brighter 90% of the time):

seating lights on full:

front lights on full (basically to show you how bad overhead lighting can be on screens):

Not really having any expectation based on the technology used on the screen.. I did do a lot of research but everyone is just talking about it, no one did it and so I did it myself..

This thread is just to inform people who ceiling mount their UST and wants ALR.. Letting them know what to expect..

It hurts my pocket but I still love the screen..
All lights off

Track lights from the sides

Ceiling lights striaght onto screen
post #9 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

well thanks for the info. I think the more people who share honest info and provide pics, the better informed the next person will be.

post #10 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM

I see what you are getting at now as well. I don't have my projector ceiling mounted. I have a table lamp off to the side and a ceiling fan light overhead. The screen rejects more light from the ceiling fan light than from the table lamp. If I had a light right where the projector is like you do it would do the same thing yours does and wash out. That is the nature of the light rejecting properties of the screen. As you found out knowing where your light sources are going to be is important with light rejecting screens. Hopefully your experience will help someone else who might be thinking of doing the same setup. I think my screen really enhances the images even with the lights out, so I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks for posting the photos!

post #11 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Something like this might work if you want to have some light in the room while watching. It is called an uplight floor lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	18
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	2591386  

post #12 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Going the led route.. Haha.. Just purchase the Leds.. Will paste it when I have time..
post #13 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae View Post
Going the led route.. Haha.. Just purchase the Leds.. Will paste it when I have time..
Which LED strip did you go for? Does it have a sensor with it? I mean, the light colours change according to the scene on display?
post #14 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
Which LED strip did you go for? Does it have a sensor with it? I mean, the light colours change according to the scene on display?
Nope.. Just Xiaomi Yeelight Strip Plus.. Control colors through app
post #15 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Mine came with an LED light strip as well but I didn't install it. I'll be interested to see how you like that solution!

post #16 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine came with an LED light strip as well but I didn't install it. I'll be interested to see how you like that solution!
I got not much choice man.. Haha.. So far I think it's good.. I just need some light so when I walk under the projector and when it blacks out, I can see my way to the door..
post #17 of 23 Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 2875
Quote:
Just sharing some day time photo.. The main point for people who ceiling mount.. For ceiling mount UST, u have to flip your screen up side down to use it.. If u look at the Thanos photo, when I shine a lamp from the bottom where the alr now works, the picture looks great.. But when I shine the lamp from the top where it is in the same direction with the projector's light source, the image pales out.. When I on my ceiling light, the image is not watchable/acceptable for me..
It should be fairly intuitive that an ALR screen can't reject ambient light coming from the same direction as projector image light or it would also reject the projector image light, so if you want to ceiling mount the projector with an ALR screen then ceiling lights would be an obvious no-go as your experiment demonstrates.
noob00224 and Nihar P like this.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If the UST projector is on the table, the screen should reject light from ceiling. But since u installed the projector on ceiling and lights are also on ceiling so it's creating a problem? Is that's what's happening? That would make sense.

Also can u pls comment on the Xaiomi mijia 4k, I am seriously looking at getting this projector.
I am also looking for a ALR screen to go with it. But I am in US and looking at US options for the screen.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #19 of 23 Old 07-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
I have Yeelight form Amazon installed in my computer room. Good thing is it works with Alexa and Google. So when I saw "light on" it works.

Now if I had it in TV room and said "hey Google watch a movie", it could turn on when all lights turn off. Hope u get that idea.

post #20 of 23 Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Which UST projector and ALR screen do u have?
I am looking at the Xaiomi mijia 4k.

Are u happy with the ALR screen? Pls let me know your experience and where u got it from.

I am looking for a ALR 100" screen to go with Xaiomi 4k projector.

Thanks

post #21 of 23 Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post
Which UST projector and ALR screen do u have?
I am looking at the Xaiomi mijia 4k.

Are u happy with the ALR screen? Pls let me know your experience and where u got it from.

I am looking for a ALR 100" screen to go with Xaiomi 4k projector.

Thanks

I have the Viewsonic PX800HD and the Elite Aeon 100" CLR screen. I purchased the screen from the ProjectorScreenStore. It took a while from ordering the screen to when I received it. One day it just arrived on my doorstep with no prior shipping notice. Other than that it is a very nice screen and I like it quite a lot. Well worth the money for me. You can see photos of it here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56628578
geronemo3 likes this.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I have the Viewsonic PX800HD and the Elite Aeon 100" CLR screen. I purchased the screen from the ProjectorScreenStore. It took a while from ordering the screen to when I received it. One day it just arrived on my doorstep with no prior shipping notice. Other than that it is a very nice screen and I like it quite a lot. Well worth the money for me. You can see photos of it here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56628578
Thanks a lot the difference is amazing between your wall pics and screen pics. I am also looking at Aeon Cine 3d vs Aeon CLR. I've written to elite screens and let's see what they say.

Did u also look up other screens like XY and silver ticket?
What made u pull the trigger with Elite at the end?

Thanks again

post #23 of 23 Old 07-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post
Thanks a lot the difference is amazing between your wall pics and screen pics. I am also looking at Aeon Cine 3d vs Aeon CLR. I've written to elite screens and let's see what they say.

Did u also look up other screens like XY and silver ticket?
What made u pull the trigger with Elite at the end?

Thanks again

The Aeon Cine 3D is not designed for UST projectors. I see Silver Ticket has some UST offerings now, I didn't see them advertised when I was deciding. XY was more of an unknown compared to Elite for me so that is why I chose them.
geronemo3 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page