Best bang for your buck screen help please. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Best bang for your buck screen help please.

I have an Epson 5050 UB and was wanting to know of some of the best bang for your buck motorized and pull up screens please. All of my walls are black with no windows. Seating is about 15 feet from a 110 inch screen. I bought my last screen here from a member that used make and sell them about 13 years ago. Don't mind a little gain too with the screen. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 512
With an Epson 5050 on a 110" screen in a dark room you definitely don't need any gain. A fixed screen of course is the most economical but if not possible TAB Tensioned is desirable but also expensive. 110" from 15' is on the very small size for most of us but it is purely personal preference so what ever floats your boat. Is the ceiling black also? If not it opens up a new can of worms as to go ALR or not.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Namedocwho10th View Post
I have an Epson 5050 UB and was wanting to know of some of the best bang for your buck motorized and pull up screens please. All of my walls are black with no windows. Seating is about 15 feet from a 110 inch screen. I bought my last screen here from a member that used make and sell them about 13 years ago. Don't mind a little gain too with the screen. Thanks!
i don't have a ton of experience with screens, but what i have noticed is that it's a lot easier(thus cheaper) to make a decent matte screen than one with higher gain or ALR properties. when using a quality projector like the 5050, in a light controlled room, you can certainly get away with a simple 1.0 gain matte white screen. and imo, that's the only way you're going to find a 'cheap' screen that doesn't have sparkles or noticeable texture. i'd say there's more value in spending the extra money on tab tensioned vs extra gain or ALR in your situation. you don't really need those things, but even an expensive screen will tend to curl over time if it's not tensioned.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
With an Epson 5050 on a 110" screen in a dark room you definitely don't need any gain. A fixed screen of course is the most economical but if not possible TAB Tensioned is desirable but also expensive. 110" from 15' is on the very small size for most of us but it is purely personal preference so what ever floats your boat. Is the ceiling black also? If not it opens up a new can of worms as to go ALR or not.
Well, found my screen. Just $400, motorized, and was able to get a upgrade to 150 inches in the process. LOVE the gain on the screen too!! Perfect for those darker UHD scenes. Hope this one lasts as long all my others!! See you guys in another 15 years!!

Btw, I used to come here like you guys and help others all the time when I was younger..after a while other things take up your time. Enjoy your hobby! And thanks for keeping AVS going strong!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 332
nevermind lol. Already answered

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -

Last edited by trilkb; 07-16-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page