new screen advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
new screen advice needed

Hello, I recently upgraded my projector to an NX7 and the quality of the image has made me want to upgrade my screen as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have a 16:9, 106" (92x52) Severtson screen purchased in 2010. The picture is very good for most things - though sparkles are an issue in bright scenes and especially animated movies. My room is fully light controlled with black ceiling and medium brown walls.

With my throw distance (138") the biggest screen I can fit would be a 116.5" (103x54.5), 17:9 aspect ratio. 80% of viewing is standard def Bluray, 15% UHD, 5% 3D. There will be a shift towards more UHD as more titles become available.

I am strongly considering the ST-130 or possibly the ST-100, just waiting on samples.

Is there any downside to a 17:9 aspect ratio other than side black bars on 16:9 content? Any downside to maximizing the screen size to match the projector's throw (leaving 1" buffer around the perimeter)? Are sparkles to be expected still on the ST-130? Is it worth changing the screen for the extra foot of width? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cogdok; 07-21-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page