Ideal Viewing distance help - 135/150 inch screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 3 Post By Divyam Saraf

post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ideal Viewing distance help - 135/150 inch screen

Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

My final components are as follows:

Projector JVC DLA NX7
Screen Elite AR150H2-AUHD / Elite AR135H2-AUHD
Receiver Marantz 8012
Power Amp Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3
Woofers (x2) Rythmik F18
Speakers LCR B&W CT 7.3 LCRS
Speakers Surrounds B&W CWM 7.5
Speakers Atmos B&W CCM 684

As we can see, I am confused between going for a 135 inch or a 150 inch screen. What would be the ideal viewing distance for both the sizes. I have researched quite a bit on this and have found varying opinions. I was thinking of going for 11 feet for the 135 inch and 12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Well you have picked a 16:9 screen and a very fine projector that has functions to be able to be programmed for any method of presentation you would like.

Before deciding on seating distance you should select the method of presentation that suits you best. You mentioned movies and games and of course you want your seating distance optimized for listening so speaker placement will be a function of seating distance for the music.

Starting with movies they come in all kinds of aspect ratios and types and each have their cinematography based around the assumed presentation they would be given in commercial theaters. The three popular methods right now are scope, flat, and IMAX. Old movies are Academy and new movies made for streaming TV like Netflix are experimenting with new AR like 2.0:1.

Flat and Scope are intended to be shown the same height where the scope movie is more immersive as it is wider and people that mainly watch them don’t have 16:9 screens they have scope screens 2.4:1. This presentation is called CIH constant image height.

With the advent of IMAX now more mainstream on home media with movies like Dunkirk and Aquman in part in that format and a push being put on releasing more IMAX versions of other movies (search IMAX Enhanced) those presentations should be at least as wide as scope and taller than CIH. Some people refer to this presentation as CIH+IMAX. It is roughly what I do.

To answer your question for myself with your equipment I would watch Flat and scope movies 1.85 & 2.35 at a distance equal to 2 times the image height and I would watch IMAX movies at a distance of 1.5 times image height. I would do this with programming the zoom, focus & shift to adjust the image size and location on a 16:9 screen. 135” screen @ 8.25” or 150” screen @ 9.25”. That would be a CIH+IMAX presentation that would suit me.

Bud
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
There is no universal ideal viewing distance for a given screen size. It's a personal preference that varies from individual to individual. You can see this at commercial movie theaters where some prefer to sit in the front row, some in the back and some in every row in between. Everyone needs to figure out what their optimum viewing distance is, not what everyone else's is. Experimenting with different image sizes on a plain painted wall before buying a screen is one of the best ways to let your own eyes tell you what size screen will work best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Well you have picked a 16:9 screen and a very fine projector that has functions to be able to be programmed for any method of presentation you would like.

Before deciding on seating distance you should select the method of presentation that suits you best. You mentioned movies and games and of course you want your seating distance optimized for listening so speaker placement will be a function of seating distance for the music.

Starting with movies they come in all kinds of aspect ratios and types and each have their cinematography based around the assumed presentation they would be given in commercial theaters. The three popular methods right now are scope, flat, and IMAX. Old movies are Academy and new movies made for streaming TV like Netflix are experimenting with new AR like 2.0:1.

Flat and Scope are intended to be shown the same height where the scope movie is more immersive as it is wider and people that mainly watch them don’t have 16:9 screens they have scope screens 2.4:1. This presentation is called CIH constant image height.

With the advent of IMAX now more mainstream on home media with movies like Dunkirk and Aquman in part in that format and a push being put on releasing more IMAX versions of other movies (search IMAX Enhanced) those presentations should be at least as wide as scope and taller than CIH. Some people refer to this presentation as CIH+IMAX. It is roughly what I do.

To answer your question for myself with your equipment I would watch Flat and scope movies 1.85 & 2.35 at a distance equal to 2 times the image height and I would watch IMAX movies at a distance of 1.5 times image height. I would do this with programming the zoom, focus & shift to adjust the image size and location on a 16:9 screen. 135” screen @ 8.25” or 150” screen @ 9.25”. That would be a CIH+IMAX presentation that would suit me.
Wow thank you for the detailed reply. I'll consider everything in your post.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divyam Saraf View Post
Wow thank you for the detailed reply. I'll consider everything in your post.
You are welcome.

@Dave in Green is correct no 2 people are alike, but there is a difference when you walk into a scope theater you see the screen before you and you start walking back turning to check the relative size and when you get to what you like you sit down. When in an IMAX movie you do much the same. When you go to one of these new Cineplex with a 1.85 screen and you find your seat and the movie starts only to find out it is a scope movie with gray bars top and bottom you ether put up with it too small or get up and move 10 rows closer.

When you are selecting a screen for home Dave’s idea of experimenting with a white wall is great if you can do it, as long as the projector you have allows for all screen sizes you want to try with its zoom range and throw length and given you have a smooth wall to paint white.

I will advise the OP that I have found that most people as they get used to watching movies at home tend to want more immersion than they first thought. Some never change and I don’t think I have ever heard someone say I wish my screen was smaller. When I used to go to movie theaters I always felt I liked the middle or slightly back from the middle of the theater. Once I got home theater and watched 5 movies a week compared to 1 movie every 5 weeks I slowly liked greater immersion. When media went from DVD to BD I found I even liked greater immersion and now with it going to UHD BD maybe even a little more. So some is getting used to it and some is the quality of the source and the equipment. I now am liking the front 1/3 of the theater rather than the back 1/3.

Just understand the fundamentals of the different methods of presentation and how they relate to what the director of the movie was intending when he made the movie.
DunMunro likes this.

Bud
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 6736 Post(s)
Liked: 7869
Quote:
Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

My final components are as follows:

Projector JVC DLA NX7
Screen Elite AR150H2-AUHD / Elite AR135H2-AUHD
Receiver Marantz 8012
Power Amp Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3
Woofers (x2) Rythmik F18
Speakers LCR B&W CT 7.3 LCRS
Speakers Surrounds B&W CWM 7.5
Speakers Atmos B&W CCM 684

As we can see, I am confused between going for a 135 inch or a 150 inch screen. What would be the ideal viewing distance for both the sizes. I have researched quite a bit on this and have found varying opinions. I was thinking of going for 11 feet for the 135 inch and 12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!
Get the projector first, and project those two sizes on the wall ( use a white sheet if need be ). See what you think. Set up some chairs at your proposed seating distance. That way you can do a test run yourself prior to spending money on a screen. You may like the smaller size ( it will be brighter ). At any rate, you will then know you are getting the size you want !
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I sit 9.5 feet from a 12’ wide screen but everyone thinks I’m a madman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I sit 9.5 feet from a 12’ wide screen but everyone thinks I’m a madman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For IMAX or Scope not at all. For Wheel of Fortune you be a madman.

Bud
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
While a white wall may be best for viewing movies you don't really need a white wall for judging what image size works for you. Any color wall will work. The point is not to have optimum image quality but to just focus on the size of the image. What you want with video projection is an image that's big enough to be more cinematic and immersive than a TV but not so big as to cause eyestrain from trying to follow rapid movement across the screen. Even an imperfect wall full of flaws can work for strictly judging optimum image size. There are subtle changes to perceived image quality that occur when zooming to different image sizes that most people used to viewing fixed TV screen sizes aren't used to. Different people find different sweet spots in image size vs. image quality. So new projector users can learn a lot by experimenting with different image sizes and letting their own eyes take in all of those subtle differences.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
While a white wall may be best for viewing movies you don't really need a white wall for judging what image size works for you. Any color wall will work. The point is not to have optimum image quality but to just focus on the size of the image. What you want with video projection is an image that's big enough to be more cinematic and immersive than a TV but not so big as to cause eyestrain from trying to follow rapid movement across the screen. Even an imperfect wall full of flaws can work for strictly judging optimum image size. There are subtle changes to perceived image quality that occur when zooming to different image sizes that most people used to viewing fixed TV screen sizes aren't used to. Different people find different sweet spots in image size vs. image quality. So new projector users can learn a lot by experimenting with different image sizes and letting their own eyes take in all of those subtle differences.
In addition cinematography and direction going into any media production be it TV or motion picture is different as the director knows the intended way it will be shown and adjusts the panning and action accordingly. That’s why you may like watching say a TV show as 80” but an IMAX movie can be enjoyed on a 120” screen all from the same seating location.

Bigger doesn’t make everything better but it does make some things better.

IMAX and scope are intended to use a lot of our vision and the action and pans are controlled within our vision comfort. TV used to be really small and every inch of the screen was used. As TV is generally getting larger directors are reacting to that and filming differently just like when TV went from 4:3 to 16:9 the way the area was used was different.

When testing screen sizes on a wall test all different types of media.
Dave in Green likes this.

Bud
post #11 of 12 Old 07-23-2019, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! It seems like the best way to do it is to do a demo in the room itself! I will do that and update!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Thank you everyone! It seems like the best way to do it is to do a demo in the room itself! I will do that and update!
I spent roughly 3 years demo'ing various setups before I landed on what I wanted - some of that was financial restrictions but also I didn't really know what I wanted until I really had a chance to stage it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page