Tab Tension - Best bang for the buck - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 08-17-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Can you see the string in the bar?
Hang tight, I see the bar, but I don’t see any string in it...I need to move my front speaker to get closer...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet batcave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you see the string in the bar?
Ok, I can see bars at both ends...the bar on the left side is almost twice as long as the bar on the right side...BUT I don’t see any strings going into them...where is the string starting at or in other words where is it coming from?

I’m wondering if my setup is different than yours...it doesn’t look like anything is connected to the bars on mine...I can turn and turn the pods and nothing happens...only the top left and right pod tightens the left and right tension strings...

Last edited by asharma; 08-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #33 of 50 Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks, I priced the Stewart Neve 125” Tab tensioned in Canada...$5300 retail...BTW, I’m in a bat cave
Wow - that's $ 1800.00 more than in the US ( " street pricing " is of course better still ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 08-19-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Wow - that's $ 1800.00 more than in the US ( " street pricing " is of course better still ).
Yeah, but it's quoted in Monopoly money. I mean $CAD.
post #35 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a vividscreen motorized tab-tension from amazon and it had big roller marks after using it a few days. It eventually goes away if left out, but to just bring it down and watch a movie the marks are there and you can tell. The manufacturer agreed it was a defected screen and said if I order a 2nd one, it might have the same problems due to it being shipped from china, to amazon warehouse, then amazon personell will handle it, then the shipping company, blah blah blah. Sounds like a wierd problem to have it is made correctly. I decided to refund it and go with an xyscreen 120" tab-tensioned dark crystal HG instead. Costs around $400 more shipped, but hopefully it will have better quality
asharma likes this.
post #36 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
but hopefully it will have better quality
i have a motorized tensioned xy screen and its razor flat with no roller marks. flawless operation for the last 8months. There may be some slight manufacturing defects in the material that cant be avoided at this price range. theyre impossible to take a picture of, and only slightly noticeable with bright panning shots.
asharma likes this.
post #37 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
i have a motorized tensioned xy screen and its razor flat with no roller marks. flawless operation for the last 8months. There may be some slight manufacturing defects in the material that cant be avoided at this price range. theyre impossible to take a picture of, and only slightly noticeable with bright panning shots.
Awesome. Which screen and size did you pick? Does it come with a 12V trigger too for the projector? They are sleeping in china so I can't ask them the 12V question

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #38 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Awesome. Which screen and size did you pick? Does it come with a 12V trigger too for the projector? They are sleeping in china so I can't ask them the 12V question
I got a 92" Black Crystal .8 gain. I think so for the 12v, it says external dc/ac 12v power control in the manual
http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/products/ec2.asp
post #39 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I got a 92" Black Crystal .8 gain. I think so for the 12v, it says external dc/ac 12v power control in the manual
http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/products/ec2.asp
Thanks. I'm torn between the .8 and the HG version. I have a .8 gain screen now, but I would like it brighter for ambient light too. In the dark it looks nice

post #40 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm torn between the .8 and the HG version. I have a .8 gain screen now, but I would like it brighter for ambient light too. In the dark it looks nice [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
the high gains gonna sparkle a bit more and the viewing angles arent as good, so depending on where you sit relative to the screen the edges can be darker.
post #41 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
the high gains gonna sparkle a bit more and the viewing angles arent as good, so depending on where you sit relative to the screen the edges can be darker.
I'm trying to find examples of sparkles online, but I cant find any photos or videos

post #42 of 50 Old 08-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm trying to find examples of sparkles online, but I cant find any photos or videos
if you contact the manufacturers, theyll generally provide samples. For instance with seymour av you can get samples of their glacial white, a practically artifact free lambertian white, and theyre matinee black, which has moderate gain artifacts(sparkle/sheen) and lower viewing angles. When you have the 2 materials side by side its plain as day, an artifact free material like Stewart's snomatte, dalite hd Progressive etc, will be invisible during high brightness and panning shots.
post #43 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DA-LITE/JKP Affinity-Tensioned Contour Electrol

Quote:
I have the Elunevision Reference 4K 120” 2.35 tab tensioned...previous to this I had the fixed ref 4K Elunevision...the material on the fixed version was flawlessly uniform and smooth...I would have expected the same on the Tab tensioned but I’m seeing slight roller marks on the screen...I’m unsure if they effect performance but the material doesn’t seem to be quite as uniform compared to the fixed, or perhaps I got a bad sample or perhaps if you want to spend $6k for the Stewart in Canada, it may be flawless...I’ve only had the screen for a couple weeks and am receiving good tech support from Elunevision...I’ll tackle the uniformity with them next week...picture with my JVC N7 looks phenom...
The Da-Lite JKP tensioned contour electrol 120" diameter screen I have is going on seven years old. Actually I had the screen material replaced under warranty about a year after I bought it because the white screen developed "blotches" we could see during a movie.

Now the vinyl tabs that support the tension line on each side of the screen are coming loose. It looks like the glue holding them to the body of the screen is softening and separating from the screen body.

Has you or anyone else experienced this problem and solved it without replacing the screen. I'm concerned in time the glue will no longer hold the tension lines.

Thanks, Len

Len
Acoustic Frontiers Room Design; Raidho D3 speakers; Jeff Rowland Corus preamp & 625 amp; EMM Labs XDS1 v2 CD/SACD player; JL Audio F212v2 sub; JL Audio CR-1 crossover; JVC DLA RS66U projector; DA-LITE/JKP Affinity Screen; Solidtech ROS w/Ultrasonic shelving; Nordost/Ansuz cabling, Ti Pulsar Points, QB4 power distributor; Quantum QX4 power conditioner
post #44 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would u have a link to the screen? Thanks

post #45 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhitefl View Post
The Da-Lite JKP tensioned contour electrol 120" diameter screen I have is going on seven years old. Actually I had the screen material replaced under warranty about a year after I bought it because the white screen developed "blotches" we could see during a movie.

Now the vinyl tabs that support the tension line on each side of the screen are coming loose. It looks like the glue holding them to the body of the screen is softening and separating from the screen body.

Has you or anyone else experienced this problem and solved it without replacing the screen. I'm concerned in time the glue will no longer hold the tension lines.

Thanks, Len
I have not experienced any of what u r experiencing...My Elunevision is only 1 month old and I can see the roller marks 10 ft away during bright scenes...I am working with their tech support and they have been very good...

post #46 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

post #47 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Elunevision has given me the option of a replacement...do u think it will also have roller mark issues? What did u end up doing with your Elunevision (if I’m remembering correctly)

post #48 of 50 Old 08-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Elunevision has given me the option of a replacement...do u think it will also have roller mark issues? What did u end up doing with your Elunevision (if I’️m remembering correctly)
The issue I had with the faint close horizontal lines wasnt resolved with a replacement. I still have the screen but it hasnt been used since I got the xy bc. Though Ill probably still use it for 3d occasionally.

I would imagine if you have spaced horizontal roller lines the replacement will have them as well. Though their advertising and sales department will tell you their screens dont have rollers lines, their aftersales and technical support will say roller lines are typical. They said the same thing with the material, completely different response before and after purchasing, before was texture free artifact free no minimum seating distance, after purchase was texture not visible minimum seating distance of 12 ft.

If you try a replacement, make sure they pay for shipping both ways.

Its not a bad screen, its not a bad price, and their service isnt bad either, its simply their false advertising thats obnoxious.
asharma likes this.
post #49 of 50 Old 09-02-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The issue I had with the faint close horizontal lines wasnt resolved with a replacement. I still have the screen but it hasnt been used since I got the xy bc. Though Ill probably still use it for 3d occasionally.

I would imagine if you have spaced horizontal roller lines the replacement will have them as well. Though their advertising and sales department will tell you their screens dont have rollers lines, their aftersales and technical support will say roller lines are typical. They said the same thing with the material, completely different response before and after purchasing, before was texture free artifact free no minimum seating distance, after purchase was texture not visible minimum seating distance of 12 ft.

If you try a replacement, make sure they pay for shipping both ways.

Its not a bad screen, its not a bad price, and their service isnt bad either, its simply their false advertising thats obnoxious.

I have been really debating getting the elunevision reference tab tension, but not if it is going to have roller marks. My 10 year old 100" Elite manual pull down screen has roller marks and is very distracting.
post #50 of 50 Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post
I have been really debating getting the elunevision reference tab tension, but not if it is going to have roller marks. My 10 year old 100" Elite manual pull down screen has roller marks and is very distracting.

yes, i'm debating returning my Elunevision, since I still have roller marks with no resolution

Edit...Eastporters support has been great...the rollermarks are a manufacturing defect...they are looking after it...

Last edited by asharma; 09-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page