XYScreens vs Viewsonic BCP for UST projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kev1000000

post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
XYScreens vs Viewsonic BCP for UST projector

I am looking to switch to a UST projector (most likely the Optoma P1) and was researching which ALR screen to a pair with it. I've come across the Viewsonic BCP series and the XYScreen PET Crystal series.

The main debate I am having is that the Viewsonic (really the DNP STW) is a 0.3 gain screen, whereas the XYScreen is a 0.8 gain. I trust DNP/Viewsonic a little more in terms of quality, but I've heard really good things about XYScreens.

I am less worried about cost and just want the right screen for my environment, which is not very well light controlled at all and will be dealing with quite a bit of ambient light (it will be a living room TV). The Optoma P1 does about 3,000 lumens, so I think it would be enough for a 0.3 gain screen, but that seems awfully low.

Has anyone seen these two screens in person and can help comments on the pros/cons of each? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Johnny nz likes this.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The xyscreens probably going to have some sparkle/texture artifacts to hit .8gain, I know my Black Crystal does, it's not bad(especially for the price) but its not artifactless like the dnp or a da lite parallax .45. If you have the want and ability the better material will give a pristine image, I have some samples of the parallax .45 and .8 and theyre stunning.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's a great point I haven't thought about. Can anyone confirm with an XYScreen that is has some noticeable artifacts?

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Grandview has a UST ALR screen which we think is a great value for the $

It is priced and performs in the middle between XY (which is at the low end of spectrum) and Da-lite / SI at the top.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/Grandview?Attribs=6241&
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
I am looking to switch to a UST projector (most likely the Optoma P1) and was researching which ALR screen to a pair with it. I've come across the Viewsonic BCP series and the XYScreen PET Crystal series.

The main debate I am having is that the Viewsonic (really the DNP STW) is a 0.3 gain screen, whereas the XYScreen is a 0.8 gain. I trust DNP/Viewsonic a little more in terms of quality, but I've heard really good things about XYScreens.

I am less worried about cost and just want the right screen for my environment, which is not very well light controlled at all and will be dealing with quite a bit of ambient light (it will be a living room TV). The Optoma P1 does about 3,000 lumens, so I think it would be enough for a 0.3 gain screen, but that seems awfully low.

Has anyone seen these two screens in person and can help comments on the pros/cons of each? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I have the same projector/ screen/ room plan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page