1Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Silver Ticket with JVC NX5?

I’m ordering the JVC NX5 and can’t decided on the screen. I’m considering both the white (1.1 gain) and gray (1.0 gain) 2.35 127” screen. Anyone have experience with these? It’s a light controlled room but we’ll occasionally have the rear recessed lights dimly lite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
just in case, light controlled also means the room is non reflective. If it isnt consider alr screens. If it is, a good budget artifact free or at least close to it material is the seymour glacial white a little bit more than silver ticket or budget screens but youre using an nx5 so consider a good screen. The next step up would be Stewart's snomatte or dalite hd Progressive for quite a bit more.
http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp...reensfixed.asp
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

BDHT: the room will be painted a darker gray (egg shell). I’ve actually considered Seymour screens. I really like their manual masking panels but with everything going over budget on the house I was trying to keep it down on the screen. With a sub $400 price point on the Silver Ticket I could always replace the screen at a later date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I have a Silver Ticket matte white 1.1 gain screen in a fully light controlled room with a Sony vw695es and it looks great. I am considering upgrading to a Cima Neve screen in the future, but can easily recommend the Silver Ticket if you are on a budget.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

A good way to test the screen/rooms black capability is to put some white paper and black paper on the screen wall, and shine a light(like your phones flashlight) at the screen with something to cast a shadow on the screen. If the shadow over the white paper is as black as the black paper than use a white screen.

Another good budget option for imperfect rooms is xy screens black crystal. though its a darker material so you need to consider screen size and the projectors light output.

But using a budget matte white or xys screen for a while isnt a bad option and lets you familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of projection while you consider a more expensive and artifact free screen.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Murto View Post
I’m ordering the JVC NX5 and can’t decided on the screen. I’m considering both the white (1.1 gain) and gray (1.0 gain) 2.35 127” screen. Anyone have experience with these? It’s a light controlled room but we’ll occasionally have the rear recessed lights dimly lite.
The white silver ticket screen will be good as a budget screen. Avoid the grey one. If you have good light control in the room meaning the lights go off and there's no light, you'll be fine. You can improve your ANSI contrast by removing reflections, but the on/off contrast will be just as good either way and that's where JVC shines best. When the screen goes pure black, there's no light to reflect onto the screen. Reflections hit you worse on brighter scenes than darker scenes. I'm not saying they're unimportant, but it's a common misconception that a room with good light control that didn't treat reflections cannot have good black floor performance. It can.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
I would advise not getting any Silver Ticket screen with that projector. They (along with many other economy brands) use the phrase 4K/UHD "Ready".

I don't really understand what they are trying to claim, because their surfaces will not resolve a square 4K pixel due to the textured nature of those surfaces.

Will the image look good with your NX5 and a Silver Ticket Screen? Probably. Will it look as good as it would on a proper, textureless 4K surface? Absolutely not.

As expected, the price of a legit 4K screen is higher than that of a "ready" screen. The same holds true for projectors as well; you pay more for the higher resolution, contrast, etc.

Silver Ticket is only sold on Amazon (as far as I know) and has a tremendous amount of positive reviews there. They are also highly endorsed by many "Amazon Affiliate" sites such as WireCutter and others who make commissions on referring people to Amazon.

I have no doubt that there are many satisfied ST customers and on 1080p their product is totally appropriate. When you get to 4K however there is a very obvious difference in quality when going side by side with a textureless surface.

I just did a quick search on Amazon reviews for a ST screen with keyword "4k" and the first result echos what I just said about texture.

Here is a link with some more info on textured/textureless surfaces:

https://www.projectorscreen.com/blog...aces-Explained
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-23-STonAmazon.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2606226  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Reflections hit you worse on brighter scenes than darker scenes. I'm not saying they're unimportant, but it's a common misconception that a room with good light control that didn't treat reflections cannot have good black floor performance. It can.
But isnt that when its important? A white screen in a white room will look black when its pitch black but the second theres 1-2% adl that black screen becomes white with the rest of the room.

Whereas a nonreflective room or even a less reflective room with a low gain or alr screen can hit black in a 90% adl scene.

With high apl scenes I can just barely hit the black of the screen masking in my room on an alr screen(dark grey with .8 gain), with 4' of black fabric on the ceiling, 2' of fabric on either side of the screen, the room has dark paint, white ceiling and offwhite floor, and lots of dark furniture. It's a small room(12x15) though, so light really gets thrown around.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

ProjectionHead, thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely look into a few other options. Are you familiar with Seymour screens?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
ProjectionHead, thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely look into a few other options. Are you familiar with Seymour screens?
Familiar to a degree, but much more familiar with Stewart, SI and Da-lite 4k+ options. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in more detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens