Recommendation for ALR UST Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By nikooe
  • 1 Post By bix26
  • 1 Post By moctodavs

post #1 of 10 Old 09-01-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Recommendation for ALR UST Screen

I'm new to the world of Projectors and have been saving up to get my personal home theater ready.
From all the reviews and posts that I have read, I have decided on the LG HU85LA. It seems to be a fantastic projector and I happened to get a great price on it as well.
No on to my next purchase. So the ALR screens seems very limited in regards to brands, and the prices can be "ridiculously" high on some of those. (100"-120") 120 preferred:
There is also the Matte white/Grey discussion.
So from all the companies:
1. XYSCREEN
2. Viewsonic BCP120
3. SI
4. Grandview PEL120/PEL100
5. Elite Screens Aeon CLR Series (AR120H-CLR)

I'm sure that there might be 1 or 2 other companies which I'm missing.
So, Please let me know what your recommendations are for viewing with LG HU85LA without breaking the bank. The projector has alreay done that!
Thanks everyeone!
Johnny nz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikooe View Post
I'm new to the world of Projectors and have been saving up to get my personal home theater ready.

From all the reviews and posts that I have read, I have decided on the LG HU85LA. It seems to be a fantastic projector and I happened to get a great price on it as well.

No on to my next purchase. So the ALR screens seems very limited in regards to brands, and the prices can be "ridiculously" high on some of those. (100"-120") 120 preferred:

1. XYSCREEN

2. Viewsonic BCP120

3. SI

So, Please let me know what your recommendations are for viewing with LG HU85LA without breaking the bank. The projector has alreay done that!

Thanks everyeone!

There’s two others worth considering imo.

The Silver Ticket UST screen. I have their standard white screen which is generally considered to be the best budget option. I haven’t seen any reviews on it yet but given their history of good quality, I’d say it’s likely as good or better than many of the more expensive options. It seems to only be available directly from their website.

Also, there is Vividstorm. They’ve been reviewed by a couple influencers on YouTube but they’re opinions should be taken with a grain of salt imo. It’s a rollup design which is pretty cool. However, I’m not sure how well the lenticular surface will hold up over time considering it would be rolling and unrolling all the time. You can find it on Amazon.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I actually just saw the review for Vividstorm before reading your post.
I def agree with you in regards to the wear and tear of the lenticular screen overtime.
In one of the videos I also noticed that the side of the screen was not fully stretched and the screen had a little movement to it when fully stretched. With any new product it's a little risky spending that much.
I will also take a look at Silver Ticket UST screen.
I'm leaning towards XYScreen, but then again, input from anyone who has bought from them is more than appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikooe View Post
1. XYSCREEN
2. Viewsonic BCP120
3. SI

Thanks everyeone!
The SI is the most premium of the bunch for sure... and the most expensive. The Grandview item is a less expensive alternative that really does perform very well. Elite is on the more economical side and if you are most concerned with the price tag, is a good option.
I have no hands-on experience with Vividstorm but have had heard bad things in terms of their quality (thinness of material, problems with motor, housing, etc).
I would suspect that Viewsonic is white labeling a screen from a screen manufacturer, quite possibly Grandview, but I cannot confirm that suspicion.
XY may be a good option if you want to import directly from China and not get any dealer support (but save some $ in the process), however I have no experience with them either but I have seen some good reviews.
I would always suggest avoiding Silver Ticket as they make false claims of resolution (they use a phrase "4k Ready" but none of their surfaces are textureless and will resolve square, 4k pixels) and in this case, provide a range of 0.4-0.6 for the gain of their UST surface; well, what is it? They do have a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for their traditional white surface, however if you read into them you will see people with higher end projectors (4k+) state they are not resolving that resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-3-silverticket.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2610578  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
The SI is the most premium of the bunch for sure... and the most expensive. The Grandview item is a less expensive alternative that really does perform very well. Elite is on the more economical side and if you are most concerned with the price tag, is a good option.

I have no hands-on experience with Vividstorm but have had heard bad things in terms of their quality (thinness of material, problems with motor, housing, etc).

I would suspect that Viewsonic is white labeling a screen from a screen manufacturer, quite possibly Grandview, but I cannot confirm that suspicion.

XY may be a good option if you want to import directly from China and not get any dealer support (but save some $ in the process), however I have no experience with them either but I have seen some good reviews.

I would always suggest avoiding Silver Ticket as they make false claims of resolution (they use a phrase "4k Ready" but none of their surfaces are textureless and will resolve square, 4k pixels) and in this case, provide a range of 0.4-0.6 for the gain of their UST surface; well, what is it? They do have a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for their traditional white surface, however if you read into them you will see people with higher end projectors (4k+) state they are not resolving that resolution.

The ViewSonic it’s made by DNP. As for Silver Ticket, I would take the small minority of poor reviews with a grain of salt. Really all screens should have some amount of texture. Otherwise you would have too much light diffusion. Also, I have a feeling their issues could have been more to do with convergence errors or flaws with the lens. I’m pretty sure that most screens (even cheep ones) are only limited by the projectors themselves. The 1080p/4k/8k ratings on screens are really just marketing points used by most screen makers imo. I’m not doubting that more expensive screens don’t have some advantages I.e. durability or color accuracy. I just don’t think sharpness is much of a factor. I don’t sell any A/V products so I really have no motivation other than helping fellow enthusiasts.
Johnny nz likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
The ViewSonic it’s made by DNP. As for Silver Ticket, I would take the small minority of poor reviews with a grain of salt. Really all screens should have some amount of texture. Otherwise you would have too much light diffusion. Also, I have a feeling their issues could have been more to do with convergence errors or flaws with the lens. I’m pretty sure that most screens (even cheep ones) are only limited by the projectors themselves. The 1080p/4k/8k ratings on screens are really just marketing points used by most screen makers imo. I’m not doubting that more expensive screens don’t have some advantages I.e. durability or color accuracy. I just don’t think sharpness is much of a factor. I don’t sell any A/V products so I really have no motivation other than helping fellow enthusiasts.
DNP makes a great product, so if that's the case it should be a good screen.
As far as texture and 1080p/4k/8k ratings go, I have to disagree with you. Sharpness is absolutely a factor when it comes to surface texture and the distortion to the pixel geometry of a 4K pixel on a textured surface can certainly be seen. I have no doubt that people are happy with their image from a 4k projector on a textured surface... until they see what they are missing by projection onto a textureless surface side by side.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/blog...aces-Explained

I suggest contacting Da-lite for some free HD Progressive samples so that you can see the difference in clarity on a textureless vs textured surface.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am also curious i have ust as well and am currently projecting on a grey wall that i painted and i am happy with the results but would like better contrast
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I also need help deciding a match for the upcoming optoma p1 , 110"screen , so very simalar needs to poster , family room with 2 large windows with semi block out curtains,

i think most viewing will be at night but you never know ,its so great having alot of shared experience here
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny nz View Post
I also need help deciding a match for the upcoming optoma p1 , 110"screen , so very simalar needs to poster , family room with 2 large windows with semi block out curtains,

i think most viewing will be at night but you never know ,its so great having alot of shared experience here
Most of the UST ALR options seem to be in 100" and 120". If you need a 110" you may need to look at Da-lite or SI as those come in 110" as well as can be made to custom sizes if needed
post #10 of 10 Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I've noticed a significant drop in price in the Elite Screen Aeon ALR CLR screens. 100" is down to $800, which is around the cost people were willing to pay to direct sellers on Alibaba. Do you think this is a new market value in response to a more competitive market?
bix26 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page