Budget screen recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Budget screen recommendation

Buying my first screen. The projector is a BenQ HT2050A, ceiling mounted. Distance is about 12 feet. The room in question is a dark basement with no ambient light, but a white ceiling. Screen will be in the center of a wall that's 25 feet wide, so reflection from the side walls isn't an issue. Floor will be area rug over vinyl plank. This will be a multi use setup -- some gaming, televised sports, and movies.

Do you think this type of environment is ok to go with a Elite Screens CineWhite? I'm shooting for a 120" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl63 View Post
Buying my first screen. The projector is a BenQ HT2050A, ceiling mounted. Distance is about 12 feet. The room in question is a dark basement with no ambient light, but a white ceiling. Screen will be in the center of a wall that's 25 feet wide, so reflection from the side walls isn't an issue. Floor will be area rug over vinyl plank. This will be a multi use setup -- some gaming, televised sports, and movies.

Do you think this type of environment is ok to go with a Elite Screens CineWhite? I'm shooting for a 120" screen.
I have an elite screens 120 inch pull down. I went with a pull down because I have a TV mounted to the wall as well. I have had a few different screens over the years but nothing high end. As for this screen I can't complain. I also have a white ceiling and light gray walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_103010.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	2610878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_200840.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	2610880  

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl63 View Post

Reflection wise the ceiling can be painted in proximity to the screen, and a dark rug placed on the floor.
Two very instructive links on the subject of how reflections affect contrast/blacks:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/
https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/

If the setup will be used with some lights on. a grey ot ALR screen can come into consideration.
A good thread regarding grey/ALR screens:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ey-screen.html

A non tensioned drop down screen can have/develop waves/curs, like the ones visible in @Liquid$team's pictures.

Last edited by noob00224; 09-04-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I would recommend you take a look at a Silver Ticket screen. Great picture at a great price.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The white ceiling reflecting back is definitely going to decrease your image quality, but you may still find it acceptable depending on how critical you are. If you don't want to paint the ceiling black or other dark flat color, consider getting triple black velvet and tacking or stapling it up on the ceiling above the screen, and perhaps a panel on each side of your screen also, for a nice improvement in black levels and contrast. The velvet comes in rolls 44" wide and is less reflective than even the darkest paints, and is pretty easy to take down if you move compared to repainting.

I've had good results with the Elite Screens CineWhite and even more so with the excellent Silver Ticket white screens on Amazon, they are great value for the dollar.

Ross

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page