Swing a fixed frame screen up to unblock a TV? Will screen material sag or stretch? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottAvery
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By asharma
  • 2 Post By Adamg (Ret-Navy)
  • 1 Post By cpc

post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Swing a fixed frame screen up to unblock a TV? Will screen material sag or stretch?

Looking at buying a motorized screen to hang down in front of my potentially wall mounted TV, but with limited space between tower speakers and ceiling, it's difficult to fit a large enough screen. Fixed frame screens fit very well in the space, some with such small bezels that they leave several inches of space to work with.

If I bought a fixed frame screen I was thinking of attaching it to something at the top with hinges and then when I want to watch TV, swinging the bottom of the screen out and up and hooking it on the ceiling. My concern is that the screen material may sag and stretch while hanging on the ceiling. Then again, maybe it won't. Gravity acts on the material while sitting vertically, so maybe sitting face up or face down won't make a difference?

Will swinging a screen up and having it horizontal be an issue for the screen material sagging or stretching?

Last edited by cpc; 09-06-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 196
This issue has been discussed many times over the years, and members have built various solutions. Your primary concern is warping the frame, which is what would affect the material more than gravity. A premade fixed frame is not meant to move, so it will not be sturdy enough on its own.
cpc likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
This issue has been discussed many times over the years, and members have built various solutions. Your primary concern is warping the frame, which is what would affect the material more than gravity. A premade fixed frame is not meant to move, so it will not be sturdy enough on its own.
Ok. Warping of the frame, that makes sense. My plans are to support the frame on all four corners, and I could support it in between also. In fact I was thinking of building a fairly solid "platform or swinging wall" for lack of a better word, for the screen to mount onto which would be resistant to warping itself.

I searched but could not find anything on here or anywhere else but I guess I was not using the correct search terms. If you can recall anybody here or any particular thread, I would love to see. I will poke around in the DIY thread and maybe ask about swinging designs. It may come down to moving the TV around instead of the screen but that wouldn't be much easier to accomplish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3621 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Watch your DIY Thread for upcoming suggestions.
cpc likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post
Ok. Warping of the frame, that makes sense. My plans are to support the frame on all four corners, and I could support it in between also. In fact I was thinking of building a fairly solid "platform or swinging wall" for lack of a better word, for the screen to mount onto which would be resistant to warping itself.

I searched but could not find anything on here or anywhere else but I guess I was not using the correct search terms. If you can recall anybody here or any particular thread, I would love to see. I will poke around in the DIY thread and maybe ask about swinging designs. It may come down to moving the TV around instead of the screen but that wouldn't be much easier to accomplish.
I think you are on the right track with moving the "wall" instead of the frame. If the moving wall is properly braced with diagonals you would not need to modify the frame at all.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:

Interesting concept...I have the same issue as I want to drop a screen in front of my 85" tv...I'm just returning an electric tab tensioned screen because of visible roller marks...I've thought about your concept but swinging the screen up to the ceiling would definitely block some pot lights for me, but that wouldn't be a show stopper...Just sounds like a boatload of work...
cpc likes this.

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet batcave
post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 07:08 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
Would it be easier/simpler to swing the TV set up and out of the way of the Screen? Or swing off to the left or right. Or on a stand that rolls perhaps? Just tossing out options. Will be interested to read how you decide to go. Good Luck Sir!
cpc and blue 72 like this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

All good points and ideas. I have large subwoofer(s) and vertical centre channel speaker located in the front area preventing any option of the TV easily moving up and down option in front of the screen (although subs could be moved).

If I swing the TV to the side that would require a fancy mechanism and it would take up additional wall space on the left (right side has a window). If I roll the TV back and forth, where does it go when not in use?

Right now the TV is stand mounted but I have an amazing wall mount I can use which allows the TV to sit against the wall when the PJ screen is there and then the tv mount can bring the TV 20" out from the wall if necessary which is why I was thinking of going with TV on wall and screen swinging up when not in use.

I may get a screen with led lighting behind it. I could be use the screens led lighting while watching the TV if the screen is behind the TV (either for increasing contrast or simply for providing some room lighting when you have to get up and get refreshments or use the washroom)...or simply to have the led lights useable when not watching either the pj or tv. In either setup option (moving the TV and screen stays put or wall t TV and move screen) I can mount the TV and PJ screens at proper distances from the viewer.

Although I like the above idea, the more I think about the design aspecit, I think it may be easiest to use the TV wall mount I have now, and then just build a flat swinging wall.

Anyhow, if somebody has any cool links or ideas for articulated swinging boom like TV mounts, feel free to comment.

thanks for the feedback...stay tuned

Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Last edited by cpc; 09-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 2962
It's definitely a DIY subject that's been discussed a few times over the years in the DIY sub-forum. While the discussion generally results in lots of ideas thrown out very few have actually moved ahead with the project. After considering all the pros and cons most end up with the much simpler option of a retractable screen.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good points and ideas. I have large subwoofer(s) and vertical centre channel speaker located in the front area preventing any option of the TV easily moving up and down option in front of the screen (although subs could be moved).

If I swing the TV to the side that would require a fancy mechanism and it would take up additional wall space on the left (right side has a window). If I roll the TV back and forth, where does it go when not in use?

Right now the TV is stand mounted but I have an amazing wall mount I can use which allows the TV to sit against the wall when the PJ screen is there and then the tv mount can bring the TV 20" out from the wall if necessary which is why I was thinking of going with TV on wall and screen swinging up when not in use.

I may get a screen with led lighting behind it. I could be use the screens led lighting while watching the TV if the screen is behind the TV (either for increasing contrast or simply for providing some room lighting when you have to get up and get refreshments or use the washroom)...or simply to have the led lights useable when not watching either the pj or tv. In either setup option (moving the TV and screen stays put or wall t TV and move screen) I can mount the TV and PJ screens at proper distances from the viewer.

Although I like the above idea, the more I think about the design aspecit, I think it may be easiest to use the TV wall mount I have now, and then just build a flat swinging wall.

Anyhow, if somebody has any cool links or ideas for articulated swinging boom like TV mounts, feel free to comment.

thanks for the feedback...stay tuned

my 85" TV is wall mounted and sticks out 5 inches from the wall...I tried an electric tab tensioned drop down which dropped 7 inches from the wall or 2 inches in front of the tv...Functionally, everything was excellent...I just didn't like the roller marks on the material of the electric screen...The manufacturer was very good to deal with however...

post #11 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Looks like you went down a size in your screen to the 47" high screen. I am also looking at those because I only have 57" from the ceiling to the tops of my tower speakers. I am going to chat with the Elunevision people to see what they can do custom screen wise. The 4" mechanism and the 2" tension bar and the 2" of non-viewable area at the bottom of the screen are eating up all my space.

Have you thought of a fixed frame wall mount screen and swinging the TV?

If you swing the screen up, it may involve moving pot lights for you but may be worth it. I have no such issues. I am possibly going to chose a 2.35:1 screen with a 50-52" screen height. The Slim or Nano. Aurora material would be nice but costs as much as my PJ so perhaps blacking out the room will do for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
my 85" TV is wall mounted and sticks out 5 inches from the wall...I tried an electric tab tensioned drop down which dropped 7 inches from the wall or 2 inches in front of the tv...Functionally, everything was excellent...I just didn't like the roller marks on the material of the electric screen...The manufacturer was very good to deal with however...

Last edited by cpc; 09-06-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like you went down a size in your screen to the 47" high screen. I am also looking at those because I only have 57" from the ceiling to the tops of my tower speakers. I am going to chat with the Elunevision people to see what they can do custom screen wise. The 4" mechanism and the 2" tension bar and the 2" of non-viewable area at the bottom of the screen are eating up all my space.

Have you thought of a fixed frame wall mount screen and swinging the TV?

If you swing the screen up, it may involve moving pot lights for you but may be worth it. I have no such issues. I am possibly going to chose a 2.35:1 screen with a 50-52" screen height. The Slim or Nano. Aurora material would be nice but costs as much as my PJ so perhaps blacking out the room will do for now
There’s really no room to swing the tv...the room is only 12 feet wide and the tv is 75” wide and when you factor speakers subs etc it doesn’t leave much room...I’m currently searching for a suitable tab tensioned 2.35 but they are hard to find...

You and I are essentially in the same position...I’m open to ideas...

post #13 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

So you are still looking for a motorized or drop down screen? Tab tensioned?
I think I will have a good look at my ceiling and figure things out. I wouldn't need to swing it hanging off the ceiling. I could build a swinging wall with a frame built off the ground. Being in the living room, that is not the most attractive idea. If I swing the frame up to the ceiling is this living room, I could easily drape a flag or other material on the back so it looks nicer when up on the ceiling. Moving the TV would work better for me. I have more room to the side. When I check out my room, I will take some measurements and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
There’s really no room to swing the tv...the room is only 12 feet wide and the tv is 75” wide and when you factor speakers subs etc it doesn’t leave much room...I’m currently searching for a suitable tab tensioned 2.35 but they are hard to find...

You and I are essentially in the same position...I’m open to ideas...
post #14 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you are still looking for a motorized or drop down screen? Tab tensioned?
I think I will have a good look at my ceiling and figure things out. I wouldn't need to swing it hanging off the ceiling. I could build a swinging wall with a frame built off the ground. Being in the living room, that is not the most attractive idea. If I swing the frame up to the ceiling is this living room, I could easily drape a flag or other material on the back so it looks nicer when up on the ceiling. Moving the TV would work better for me. I have more room to the side. When I check out my room, I will take some measurements and report back.
Correct, still looking for a screen, either that or sell my tv and just go with a fixed screen and projector...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page