Screen recommendations: size, gain and make - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen recommendations: size, gain and make

I’m looking at the JVC NX5 projector in a light controlled room. I prefer a cinescope screen (with manual masking). Based on the room dimensions below which size, gain and make would you recommend?

Media Room Dimensions

Width: 154.5”
Depth: 224.5”
Height: 119”

Projector distance: 185”
Front row seating head distance: 129”
Rear row seating head distance: ~210”
Rear riser is ~12”

Image of rear of the room attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18D7FFC9-0E12-4A39-A59E-ADD5D91AF018_1567913715263.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2612444  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-08-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Looks like you have a good start to your room. As to screen AR and size, those are somewhat personal but I can tell you what I think based on maybe what most people would like or what I would like. In a commercial scope theater doing CIH presentation most people fall into a seating distance of between 2x and 3x the screen height, where the average viewer would want to sit about 2.5x the screen height.

Home theater is a little bit different because our PQ now with 4k projectors and our perfect blacked out rooms and mostly the fact that at home we watch many more movies per week and start getting used to the immersion and my guess is 90% of the people that start out at 2.5x wish they had gone some larger within the first 6 months. Another contributing factor is with two row seating at home the second row quickly becomes way under immersive like sitting in the back row of a commercial theater or even more.

As an example in your room if your screen was almost the width of the room 154x64 or 167 2.39:1 screen and you take your front row distance 129/64= 2.01x SH seating distance. That would be just about perfect for me. now 210/64=3.28x SH seating distance and that would be kind of like sitting pretty far back in a commercial theater. You can see if you desire say 2.5x for the front row the back row will get even worse.

So for those reasons some people start a little closer than they might first think.

Another problem is if both rows recline and a 12” riser making sure the screen height is high enough for the back row to see over the heads in front without making the screen overly high for the front row.

As to screen color and material if your room will have no outside light coming in and will be treated walls, ceiling and floors with dark light absorbing materials a simple 1.0 gain white screen would be best.

If you go with a screen as large as the width of the room it will be very important that the side wall be very dark even black velvet for at least 6’.

Having a screen that large now leaves you no room for speakers so a false wall would be needed and then place the speakers behind an AT acoustical transparent screen material. Doing that will shorten your throw distance and also your viewing distance and allow for a smaller screen size accordingly.

Hope this helps a little.

Bud
post #3 of 4 Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bud: thanks for the advice. My goal is optimal performance for the front row as that’s where the family will be most of the time. Guest will primarily be in the back row and my guess won’t get use to the setup so a 3.5X the screen will probably still be outstanding to them.

I wasn’t planning to build a false wall and use an acoustically transparent screen so I’ll want to leave a little space for my tower speakers on the left and right.

Perhaps 135” cinescope screen. I’ve been thinking about Seymour Screens. Anyone have experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Andy
Your 135” scope screen will be 52x124 so your front row will be right at 2.5x screen height and that will be like sitting right in the middle of a commercial theater. If that is where you normally sit then that will be perfect. Your second row will be 4.0x screen height and that is exactly the back row in a commercial theater. It wont be immersive but will still will be an ok presentation. Some people actually like the back row.

The only other thing I will mention as you want a scope screen and CIH presentation there is an ever increasing number of IMAX framed movies. Watch Dunkirk and know that it is a movie that AR changes between scope and IMAX. You will have to fit that into your scope screen by ether cutting off the top and bottom of the IMAX parts or zoom it down and have a very small scope part.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page