Screen to Cover a Window? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen to Cover a Window?

Yes, I know, it's crazy. But whoever designed my townhouse was an idiot and I cannot fit a sofa in front of the stairs underneath the window on the left (see attached drawing). That leaves me with putting the sofa on the right-hand wall looking at the window by the stairs ...

Is it even possible to have a screen in front of a window (with blackout shades, of course) and get anything watchable out of that? Of course, money is an issue, so I'd like to get under $4k for screen + projector ...

From what I've read a UST laser projector and an ALR screen seem like my best bet. Is that true? Or should I go for a normal, ceiling mounted projector and an ALR screen that isn't optimized for UST projectors?

I was looking at the VividStorm Motorized Floor Rising Projection Screen, 100" or 120", with a corresponding UST (e.g. Xiaomi Mijia Laser Projector) as potential options ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	livingroom.png
Views:	14
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	2613270  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 529
There is no issue with putting a screen in front of a window. As far as what projector/screen combo will work best we need a lot more information about the room. UST/ALR is best if you have a lot of ambient light but are the most expensive. Standard FP w/ALR as long as the ambient light is not from the same direction as the projector can produce a better image for a lot less money. Standard FP in a dedicated fully light controlled room with a standard screen is leaps and bounds better and will cost a lot less.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick response.

There are no windows behind the main sitting position. The room has 3 single windows on the left and 1 double window opposite the sitting position. The sitting position would be about 15' away from the screen. The windows will have black-out blinds, but this is our living room so drawing most of the blinds to watch something during the day when we have company over will be okay, but it won't be dark ...

A fixed-frame screen is unfortunately a no-go, so I am left with either a pull-down screen or a floor-rising screen. Which of these two types keep the tension better? Does motorized vs. manual make a difference when it comes to keeping the screen flat and wrinkle-free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page