Hotspotting at 9' Throw Distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Hotspotting at 9' Throw Distance

How to get good uniformity at a 9' throw distance?

I currently have two 92" motorized tensioned screens and 2 projectors:
BenQ W1070, poor lense uniformity, 50%
JVC RS45U, excellent lense uniformity, 85-90%, but 3' lower than the minimum recommended throw distance of 12'
XY Screen Black Crystal 0.8 gain, 140° viewing angle
Elunevision 100EL, advertised as lambertian, probably similar to elites cinewhite but with no black backing

Both screens have similar gain aritfacts, maybe the black crystal is slightly more sparkly than the 100ELs sheen. The W1070 is ceiling mounted and the RS45U is on a shelf below the w1070.

Many of the projectors, the nx7, ht9060, vw695, etc., have throw distances of 12', or something like the theo z65 has a 4' min throw distance but poor lense uniformity around 60%.

I have samples of the Snomatte and Parallax but its difficult to tell if there's still hotspotting with small samples.

Will a better screen overcome hotspotting or is it necessary to have the projector at or further than the minimum throw distance? Are there any projectors with lower throw distance that won't hotspot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked: 8212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
How to get good uniformity at a 9' throw distance?

I currently have two 92" motorized tensioned screens and 2 projectors:
BenQ W1070, poor lense uniformity, 50%
JVC RS45U, excellent lense uniformity, 85-90%, but 3' lower than the minimum recommended throw distance of 12'
XY Screen Black Crystal 0.8 gain, 140° viewing angle
Elunevision 100EL, advertised as lambertian, probably similar to elites cinewhite but with no black backing

Both screens have similar gain aritfacts, maybe the black crystal is slightly more sparkly than the 100ELs sheen. The W1070 is ceiling mounted and the RS45U is on a shelf below the w1070.

Many of the projectors, the nx7, ht9060, vw695, etc., have throw distances of 12', or something like the theo z65 has a 4' min throw distance but poor lense uniformity around 60%.

I have samples of the Snomatte and Parallax but its difficult to tell if there's still hotspotting with small samples.

Will a better screen overcome hotspotting or is it necessary to have the projector at or further than the minimum throw distance? Are there any projectors with lower throw distance that won't hotspot?
Hotspotting is usually a result of the screen material requiring a minimum throw distance. For instance Stewart's Firehawk G5 requires 1.6X the screen width for the minimum throw -

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Hotspotting is usually a result of the screen material requiring a minimum throw distance. For instance Stewart's Firehawk G5 requires 1.6X the screen width for the minimum throw -
So having the JVC at a 9' throw isnt causing any hotspotting or impacting uniformity? What is the minimum throw distance for then? I suppose I needa take those samples out and see if I can tell xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked: 8212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
So having the JVC at a 9' throw isnt causing any hotspotting or impacting uniformity? What is the minimum throw distance for then? I suppose I needa take those samples out and see if I can tell xD
It's not necessarily the projector. Look up the specifications of whatever screen material you plan on using. Then run the math.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page