Experiences with borderless projection screens? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Question Experiences with borderless projection screens?

Hi guys.

I found that the cheapest way I can move up to a "Dalite HD Progressive" screen, is actually by going with a frame from the sister company Projecta. Different frame, same material. At ~50% of the cost, compared to the UTB from Da-Lite.

The screen, or rather frame in question is this: https://www.legrandav.com/products/p...ens/fullvision FullVision from Projecta.

My back wall where the frame is mounted on is painted in a 65% neutral grey, so any potential "spill" should not be a problem. But anyway, - is there anything I should keep in mind or worry about, compared to having a frame with some black borders??

I have a JVC, so there is always something about the "corner glow".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
I personally would go with the entire back wall a flat black or better a black velvet. At 65% gray you still might notice overspill IMO. Nothing looks better than the image floating in space.

Bud
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I personally would go with the entire back wall a flat black or better a black velvet. At 65% gray you still might notice overspill IMO. Nothing looks better than the image floating in space.

As it is a living room also, black was not an option - how bad is a spill on JVC projectors? I would expect that little or no light is "displayed" outside the focused image of the projector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
As it is a living room also, black was not an option - how bad is a spill on JVC projectors? I would expect that little or no light is "displayed" outside the focused image of the projector.

Very little light will be outside the projected frame you are correct. The trick will be to perfectly fill the screen without slightly over scanning the screen area. Of course you will get it as close as possible but if that isn’t perfect you are left with some over spill or zooming slightly down and getting a sliver of the screen unused.

Years ago we used to make zero edge DIY screens and when someone didn’t want a black wall behind it in say a living room. We used a small masking at the back of the screen to let the image stand proud and have a zero edge look.

You won’t know how good your fit until you give it a go.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2019, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

- are JVC worse than other projectors???

post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
- are JVC worse than other projectors???
Since your question is related to a specific projector you might want to find the owners thread for your JVC projector model in the projectors forum and ask other owners who have firsthand experience.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3398
I'd try to stick with some velvet on the back wall. You never get the projector perfect on the screen. The little bit of overscan fades into the bezel on normal screens. Also, there could be a little wander between power cycles that you normally don't notice but you would on the borderless. Finally, if you go with a 4K projector at 16x9 resolutions, the 17x9 panel is internally blackened out. You won't see this on normal screens but on borderless without good velvet on the back wall you'll see the light bleed on the sides.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page