Which screen type provides better ALR for side light sources - Long throw or UST? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which screen type provides better ALR for side light sources - Long throw or UST?

Looking to setup my first projection system in living room for which ambient light will be unavoidable but almost no light will be coming from the dark wood ceiling, i.e., most ambient light from the sides (windows during day, low level ambient light at night). I know daytime will be a lost cause but am hopeful ALR screen will help during dusk and with low level room lighting at night. UST is touted as a better solution for living areas due to ALR but if its side light source rejection is no better (or worse) than long-throw ALR screens, then I would be hesitant to pay the premium price UST screens command.

Have found data on side source light rejection performance for long-throw screens

https://www.projectorcentral.com/amb...-screens-2.htm

but virtually none for UST screens. I can see how the geometry of the typical UST ALR screen

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...rfect-together

will reduce ambient light from above and from the viewer position (yeah!) but am struggling to see how the UST screen surface geometry would reduce the impact of side illumination which is claimed.

I have not been able to find any data on this – the only mention I’ve seen was from a UST screen review that stated “any ambient light coming in from the same horizontal plane as the screen—that is, left or right of it—will arm wrestle the light coming from the projector for prominence”.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eli...ce,-Conclusion

Very few offerings for retractable (another big constraint of mine) UST ALR screens and a big price bump so trying to decide whether UST is really the direction I should be heading towards. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The biggest tell for side light rejection is low viewing angles, the lower the viewing angle the higher the side light rejection. Im not aware of any ust materials with low viewing angles and side light rejection.

Most affordable is XY Screens Black Crystal 2.0 High Gain.

Next up would be Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 which was featured on the projectorcentral comparison but is almost 4x the price.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Here's how I recently answered the same basic question in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
... I'm not aware of any unbiased professional reviews comparing the ALR performance of UST projectors and longer throw projectors with their appropriately designed optimum ALR screens.

In the absence of such data you're pretty much at the mercy of looking for the best available data on each individual solution and trying to read between the lines. In a case like this where there's no definitive answer it might pay to assume that overall ALR performance would be roughly comparable and base your final decision on other factors including cost, number of available options and what throw would fit your personal preferences in your specific environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Here's how I recently answered the same basic question in another thread:
Thanks for the honest reply but a kind of depressing state of affairs when it comes to predicting UST ALR screen performance. Seems to be a lot of hype as well as excitement by users at UST potential but I have not been able to find any UST ALR screens to view in person or good test data. This will likely change in the next year but sigh ...
post #5 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoospiff View Post
Thanks for the honest reply but a kind of depressing state of affairs when it comes to predicting UST ALR screen performance. Seems to be a lot of hype as well as excitement by users at UST potential but I have not been able to find any UST ALR screens to view in person or good test data. This will likely change in the next year but sigh ...
UST ALR screens are primarily CLR screens foremost. They are designed around the projectors own light as being the source of the ambient and given the angle the light is coming from it would on a flat surface want to strongly go to the ceiling and in the case of a white flat finish of most ceilings a lot would come back to the screen.

I see no reason the surface of the lenticular pattern couldn’t employ its own properties that would be like a standard ALR screen and help with side lighting.

This is a relatively new product and not a lot of members have experience with these screens under the strong side light situation is my guess. I know I’m only speculating here myself as is @Dave in Green

I really have no desire for an UST but I can see why many do. I will be watching the technology as I have a few friends that this would be great for though.

All in all the simple answer is block the light from the windows will likely do more to improve the overall PQ of both ways the most and will cost the least.

Bud
post #6 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
This is a close-up of the ZYScreens PET UST screen surface from their website:

Judging it roughly by the lenticular angle and likely symmetry of them (they likely remain at a consistent pitch rather than changing as you move up/down the surface for manufacturing simplicity and sample coherency) I'd put my money on the screen working very aggressively against ANY light hitting it from above (whether it's from straight overhead or from the sides), BUT because windows are likely a similar height as the screen rather than above it I'd also bet at least the top half will get hit pretty hard.

I think a long-throw PJ paired with a narrow viewing-angle grey/black screen should fight side-incoming lights more effectively than any UST screen. Unless the windows are either pretty high in the room (where the specialty/lenticular UST screens can be effective) and/or the windows are near or behind the seating where even a narrow viewing-angle ALR screen can have trouble fighting the light.

That's my guess though..not claiming to have tested it all in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XYSCREENS pet UST.png
Views:	86
Size:	775.4 KB
ID:	2617616  

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-19-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Best way to fight side light is with an opaque material ;] I have roll down shades on either side of the screen to block lamps on either side of the shades, so no direct light is hitting the screen from the sides. I made them for $10 with shade rollers and some black flanel, you could even custom order remote controlled motorized versions.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoospiff View Post
As @bud16415 says we're all doing a lot of speculating. Both UST projectors and UST ALR screens are still relatively new to home video so there isn't a lot of reliable data available yet. A lot of the hype comes from marketers and hyper-fans, which is pretty common with any relatively new product. Personally I could see myself considering a UST projector and ALR screen as a TV replacement. But the price/performance proposition would need to be right. Again, as with any new product it will take time for performance to go up and prices to come down to the point that more than a few hyper-fans consider it good value.
bud16415 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Which screen type provides better ALR for side light sources - Long throw or UST?

(Copy and paste malfunction)
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If motorized is a must than really SI is the only option. Some of these ARR screens seems to wrinkle over time due to the fabric. Since these are somewhat new, people are skeptical on how they will hold up after time.

Fresnel is another option, much better light rejection bit limited viewing angle and potential hotspotting/glare. Last being a hard screen (not rollable) so fix frame is the only option. The are currently limited to 100 inches

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by diggumsmax; 10-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
If motorized is a must than really SI is the only option. Some of these ARR screens seems to wrinkle over time due to the fabric. Since these are somewhat new, people are skeptical on how they will hold up after time.

Fresnel is another option, much better light rejection bit limited viewing angle and potential hotspotting/glare. Last being a hard screen (not rollable) so fix frame is the only option. The are currently limited to 100 inches

There is this option too.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...r-test-phc-fr/

I agree it is a bit of gamble, I’m not too confident they’ll hold up over time.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
There is this option too.

https://youtu.be/YXe0vvcJjOQ

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...r-test-phc-fr/

I agree it is a bit of gamble, I’m not too confident they’ll hold up over time.
Hopefully that's a second generation model that got rid of these issues. Another thread below. Seems like the replacement unit had the same issues but hopefully they have figured out how to prevent this. If Tapatalk link doesn't work you can find it in the avs projector screens forum

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

post #13 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Hopefully that's a second generation model that got rid of these issues. Another thread below. Seems like the replacement unit had the same issues but hopefully they have figured out how to prevent this. If Tapatalk link doesn't work you can find it in the avs projector screens forum

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

That’s a drop down screen. Same manufacturer different model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page