Screen Innovations Sparkle Hot Spot - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Screen Innovations Sparkle Hot Spot

Hey Everyone,

Been trying to work something out on what I am seeing on my screens.

Both screens are Screen Innovations, one is a Slate 0.8, and the other is the Black Diamond 1.4 Zero Edge Pro, Projector is the JVC RS1000.

Now, when reading about sparkles, I am reading that the whole image has a sparkle effect to it - which is not the case of what i'm getting.

What I am getting is localised hot spots which have this 'tv rainbow effect' in specific parts of the screen - not the entire image.

Not sure if the rainbow effect and sparkles are the same thing?

In the image attached, the green is where the most noticeable artefacts are, and the blue ones are much less prominent.

Interestingly, walk slightly off centre and they disappear - pretty much completely gone on a 45 degree angle

It is super irritating, as they stay fixed - meaning that panning on white/bright colours that part stays and the image is the secondary thing - like looking at a magic eye 3d puzzle, and I tend focus on the screen not the image.

Dark scenes on the BD are incredible, and the artefacts are far more reduced.

Reducing the Gamma on my RS1000 seems to help a little, however it is still noticeable - especially in HDR, but I don't want to have the brightness down so low that you loose image quality and depth.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Projector settings? Projector Angle? Curtains to the side?

Originally I believed it was a fault in the Slate 0.8, however its slightly more visible in the slate level of sparkle/rainbow but in the same spot on both screens.

Being that this is a lounge room, I need to keep an ALR, and I want to get deep blacks - something my old White 1.0 could never replicate.

Cheers,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 12.56.03 PM.png
Views:	33
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2618298  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Whats the distance between the screen and the lense?

I think it takes materials like stewarts studiotek, da lite parallax, and maybe epvs darkstar9(though i dont have samples of the last one) to get rid of hotspotting.

I just asked a similar question. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58563392
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

and yes sparkle/sheen artifacts are mostly if not only onserved in the hotspot. Moving the projector further back should help as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-21-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
and yes sparkle/sheen artifacts are mostly if not only onserved in the hotspot. Moving the projector further back should help as well?
Strange.

I have two (2) flush-mounted ceiling projection screens, a 120" diagonal Screen Innovations Slate 16:9 1.2 ALR for daytime or some lights on viewing and a 153" diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 240:1scope screen for serious movie watching in bat-cave darkness, both receiving images from my JVC RS3000 projector coupled with a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro and lots of other gear recently calibrated by Kris Deering.

Projection Distance to the Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 screen is 17' 9". Seating Distance is 10' 7".
Projection Distance to the Stewart StudioTek 130 is 19'. Seating Distance is 11" 10".

The StudioTek 130 is clearly superior to the Screen Innovations Slate 1.2, the latter displays very, very, very slight sparkle but both are excellent screens for their intended applications.
Neither screen displays hot spotting at all.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

@cargen thank you, I assume its a mix of budget matetials and the short throw of 9'4 in my case. Curious what their throw is since you have similar materials. Its seeming like half gain angles are less distracting than short throw hotspotting.

Great setup btw.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The distance for me with the screen and the projector lens is 12 foot flat.

I played around with the gamma and changing the aperture to manual, and seemed to reduce it a little.

Then changing the advanced gamma settings and messing around with the white and blue levels and it seemed to reduce it more.

I wonder if there is a matt coating that can be added to the screen which will act like a diffuser to the incoming light - but at the same time I dont want to kill the screen.

Possibly even a lens filter?

Cheers,
Dave
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambe View Post
Possibly even a lens filter?

Cheers,
Dave
You can buy a ND neutral density filter in varying strengths at most good camera stores. An ND2 is common and it will reduce your overall brightness one f-stop or 50%. When your lamp dims after 500 hours or so you can take the filter off and regain the brightness.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page