Choose Screen A or Screen B - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Choose Screen A or Screen B

Dedicated theater. Planning on Seymour Center Stage XD for Epson 6050. 11 ft viewing distance. I've narrowed down to these two sizes. Half my 1,000 movies are 1.78 or 1.85 and half are 2.35 through 2.40 (with a few odd sizes thrown in). Any other thoughts?

Was going to do the 16:9. We watched a 1.85 movie and thought it was right sized. Then turned to a 1.78 football game and thought it was too big. Maybe the difference was brightness. Main thing I like about 16:9 is not having to screw with zooming anything even though there's enough memory settings.

On the wider 2.35 screen option, watched a movie and thought it was fine and the TV is OK although looks a bit small relative to the big wall, but OK to watch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen HDTV.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	2620836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Scope.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	2620838  

Epson Pro Cinema 6050 Projector, Screen TBD, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 Blu-ray, Oppo DV-981HD, Harmony Elite Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 159
My only comment is this- screens seem MUCH bigger at first. I debated forever between a 144 inch and a 158 inch wide screen. I went with the 158 and it looked HUGE. I panicked because it seemed too big. 2 years later I’m measuring and considering a bigger screen.

If possible, you might want to spend some time with it. Things that seem big now likely won’t after awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 10 Old 09-28-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
With all that width available I would go even larger with a 2:35. But understand if you do go 2:35 the over spill area top and bottom will need to be treated a much darker color then what I see now or else you will see the faint black bars. Going 16:9 the black bars will even be more obvious without masking on 2:35 content. With a JVC you might be able to get away with it but the Epson doesn't have enough contrast.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-28-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
You are showing classic examples Screen A is CIW constant image width and Screen B CIH constant image height. Each has their own group of people that favor one method of presentation over the other. The proper method of cinematic presentation given the two different AR that your movie collection holds would be CIH based on how real movie theaters have been built for the last 70 years as directors intent is they be shown the same height.

Those two methods are not the only two and there are also many old movies shot in Academy AR 1.375:1 and many new movies being shot in the new IMAX AR of 1.89:1 Then you mentioned regular TV and also what some are calling prestige TV that we get streaming or other sources. Much of it is being delivered as 2.0:1.

Because of all this I have developed my own method of presentation as have others. Some are doing what they call CIA constant image area and others CIH+IMAX constant image height plus IMAX.

With these other methods masking may or may not be a problem for you as if you want masking, 4way masking would be required.

If any of this sound interesting we can talk more.

Bud
post #5 of 10 Old 09-28-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I would recommend the 16x9 ratio given you have a lot of content in that format. If you look at how small the 1.78 content will be if you do a 2.35 CIH screen, you'll loose quite a bit of image size. Also, I don't know if you'll plan to watch a lot of TV on your system but obviously that's mostly 16x9 as well.

Flip side, I went with a 2.35 screen in my room because I didn't have the ceiling height for a 1.78. But I only watch movies in there and was ok with that limitation because a 2.35 scope screen does look great with movies. But again, with 1.78 material, my image size is much smaller.

You really have to look at your PRIMARY material, movies (current VS older) VS TV and how big you want to see 16x9 material.

One other thing to consider, if you shoot the Epson to a 2.35 screen size (assuming no anamorphic lens), you'll have to zoom in to fill the screen. So just think about the material / paint you'll place around a 2.35 screen to ensure that minimal light reflects from the overshoot. It works good (and is what I do) but you will want some good black material around your screen, beyond the frame ideally.

Either way though, with a screen that size, you'll love it!

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 09-28-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
With a personal preference choice such as screen aspect ratio it's always best if you can experiment with a projector on a blank painted wall before locking in a screen choice. The wall doesn't have to be perfect and the image doesn't have to be perfect. You just need to see with your own eyes the basic pros and cons of each option. In comparing the options you will be looking to pick the option with the pros that best suit your personal preferences and the cons you can most easily live with. If you can't do your own experimentation then you need to weigh the various opinions of others and try to pick the one that seems to come closest to what you think would work best for yourself.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
You are showing classic examples Screen A is CIW constant image width and Screen B CIH constant image height. Each has their own group of people that favor one

Because of all this I have developed my own method of presentation as have others. Some are doing what they call CIA constant image area and others CIH+IMAX constant image height plus IMAX.

With these other methods masking may or may not be a problem for you as if you want masking, 4way masking would be required.
Sounds good except I don't want to have to screw around with a lot of masking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
With a personal preference choice such as screen aspect ratio it's always best if you can experiment with a projector on a blank painted wall before locking in a screen choice.
I've been doing this for weeks; too many options to choose from. I'm decision paralyzed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
My only comment is this- screens seem MUCH bigger at first. I debated forever between a 144 inch and a 158 inch wide screen. I went with the 158 and it looked HUGE. I panicked because it seemed too big. 2 years later I’m measuring and considering a bigger screen.

If possible, you might want to spend some time with it. Things that seem big now likely won’t after awhile.
What's your viewing distance?

-----------------------------------------

As I said, 140" wide scope movies are fine. When I do 140" 16:9 sports, it gets dicey. The size is somewhat OK. Seems fast motion may be the problem.

On the Seymour AV site they say, "We generally don't recommend larger screens than 45 degree viewing angle unless you have multiple rows, or you've had prior experiences and know you'll enjoy it. The apparent resolution of 1080 diminishes past this point, and film's 24 frames per second can show too much judder. Trends, however, are toward ever larger images. The guidelines are increasing and as the quality of the source and projectors continually improve, we're seeing viewing angles break past 45 degrees even up to 60 degrees for slow-panning 4K content."

This leads me to believe the size is too big for fast motion (although only film has judder). From the second row, about 17 ft & 40 degrees, it seems right-sized. Not sure if this is a good plan, but 140" wide 16:9 CIW --- watch scope movies from front and 16:9 sports from back row. Sound wouldn't be important for sports anyway.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050 Projector, Screen TBD, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 Blu-ray, Oppo DV-981HD, Harmony Elite Remote
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
I've been doing this for weeks; too many options to choose from. I'm decision paralyzed.

What's your viewing distance?

-----------------------------------------

As I said, 140" wide scope movies are fine. When I do 140" 16:9 sports, it gets dicey. The size is somewhat OK. Seems fast motion may be the problem.

I’m about 15 feet from screen and 158 inch wide on scope movies. On 16:9 obviously much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Quote:
... I've been doing this for weeks; too many options to choose from. I'm decision paralyzed. ...
Well, the options are pretty limited and all you're going to get here is more people telling you which one works best for them which may not necessarily work best for you, so just more paralysis. If you're looking for someone else to be decisive for you, just ask your spouse or significant other to tell you what to do and then obey orders.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Sounds good except I don't want to have to screw around with a lot of masking.

Then don’t. I have a stealth screen wall and use no masking. I go any size and any AR and don’t worry about it. I even change location raising or lowering the image depending on my seating being reclined or not. I also sometimes lower scope movies to keep the center of the screen closer to eye level.

When you watch a movie like Dunkirk where the AR changes many times during the movie no one is bothered by the lack of masking. It only took a short time and I forgot there was ever masking or even a boarder for that matter.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page