Has anyone purchased an Elunevision Screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone purchased an Elunevision Screen?

I’m in the U.S. and I am thinking about getting an Elunevision Reference projector screen. Has anyone purchased an Elunevision Screen and if so from where? It doesn’t appear that you can purchase directly from their website and there aren’t any box stores to walk into and buy it, so I’m not exactly sure how exactly I’m supposed to buy it from them. It looks like the 100" Reference Studio 4K Motorized is my best option under $1200 but I'm open to suggestions if someone knows of a better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I think Silver Ticket and XY Screens have a similar screen for half the price.
post #3 of 40 Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Elunevision is located in Hamilton Ontario, Canada.

They do have direct sales to the United States. You can contact them direct at [email protected] or by telephone at 1-905-561-1073.

This link below will give you additional information:

https://elunevision.com/store/

They also sell through Costco in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I think Silver Ticket and XY Screens have a similar screen for half the price.
Thanks, I've never heard of XY Screens and it seems like Silver Ticket has stopped making Motorized projector screens. Their website has been sold out for months for of most of their screens. They only option they have available is white and my entire theater is already painted black including the ceiling.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

So I am a little wary of buying over the phone or via email because it just seems like a higher chance of fraud especially, since its coming from another country.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Elunevision's Reference Studio 4K appears to be a standard 1.0 gain matte white screen material, which is a common offering from all screen companies. There are many US screen companies that offer comparable 1.0 gain matte white screens so no real need for anyone in the US to source from Canada.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Elunevision's Reference Studio 4K appears to be a standard 1.0 gain matte white screen material, which is a common offering from all screen companies. There are many US screen companies that offer comparable 1.0 gain matte white screens so no real need for anyone in the US to source from Canada.
Professional review:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...screen-review/
post #8 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
The review is of a $3,200 Elunevision fixed screen whereas the OP mentioned an Elune motorized screen <$1,200 so not sure if the screen material is exactly the same and if the review performance directly translates.
post #9 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
The review is of a $3,200 Elunevision fixed screen whereas the OP mentioned an Elune motorized screen <$1,200 so not sure if the screen material is exactly the same and if the review performance directly translates.

The Elunevision website suggests that they are the same material. All he has to do is ask to confirm.

The price in the revue is for a 133" 2.35:1 screen. I paid <$1500 Canadian (about $1100 US) for a 120" 16:9 fixed screen.
post #10 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
The Elunevision website suggests that they are the same material. All he has to do is ask to confirm.

The price in the revue is for a 133" 2.35:1 screen. I paid <$1500 Canadian (about $1100 US) for a 120" 16:9 fixed screen.
Most screen companies have different screen materials with retractable being stiffer to maintain flatness when free hanging and fixed more flexible so that it can be stretched taut over the frame. So that's something you'd definitely want to confirm with Elunevision.
post #11 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, actually there is or can be depending on one's circumstance.

I live approximately 45 minuets from the Canadian boarder. Ironically, I drive south to cross into Canada. I always buy amplifiers etc. in Canada simply because you can save a lot of money. Anthem, NAD, Bryston, etc. come from Canada. One can piggy back the exchange rate difference and NAFTA tax rate refunds on top of street price for a substantial discount.

While I'm not familiar with all of Elunevision's products, it's clear that some of their screens are the same products sourced from China that companies like Elite Screen, VisualApex, Silver Ticket, etc. sell.

But I would agree with you, there are many comparable or even the same screens available in the US.
post #12 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigc05 View Post
So I am a little wary of buying over the phone or via email because it just seems like a higher chance of fraud especially, since its coming from another country.
While I understand your concern, Elunevision is a very reputable company. Doing business with Canadians is no different than doing business with anyone in the US and I would suggest maybe even less risky than doing business over the phone or via e-mail in the US. Canadians are great people.

Perhaps the bigger problem maybe the cost to ship depending on where you're located.
post #13 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@b curry , if US consumers can buy projector screens from a Canadian company of comparable performance at a lower price or of superior performance at a comparable price to those available from US companies then I'd say that would be worth pursuing. I just haven't seen any definitive evidence that this situation exists. My impression has been that Elunevision screens are fairly comparable to a number of different US company screens in both performance and pricing, so no real advantage gained. But I'm open to any new data that might suggest otherwise. At least when comparing 1.0 gain matte white screens we don't have all the added variables when comparing various types of ALR screens.
post #14 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Elunevisions fixed frame reference 100 and retractable reference 100el are different materials. The fixed version has less texture and a shorter minimum throw distance.

Their marketing for their retractable screens is not accurate. There will be roller lines, the minimum throw distance is probably closer to 1.8-2.0, and texture/gain artifacts are visible at viewing distances closer than 12' as well.
post #15 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@b curry , if US consumers can buy projector screens from a Canadian company of comparable performance at a lower price or of superior performance at a comparable price to those available from US companies then I'd say that would be worth pursuing. I just haven't seen any definitive evidence that this situation exists. My impression has been that Elunevision screens are fairly comparable to a number of different US company screens in both performance and pricing, so no real advantage gained. But I'm open to any new data that might suggest otherwise. At least when comparing 1.0 gain matte white screens we don't have all the added variables when comparing various types of ALR screens.
I was leaning towards Elunevision because I thought they were about the best screen available under $1200. I just recently bought the Benq HT5550 so I don't want to spend another $2K on a screen.

What other 100" or 106" motorized screens do you think are comparable to the Elunevision in performance and price? The screen will be used in a light controller room with the walls (ceiling too) already painted black from about 10 feet away. I know using fixed screens is typically the way to go but my wife and I game side by side on TV's and will use the projector screen for movies.
post #16 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Elunevisions fixed frame reference 100 and retractable reference 100el are different materials. The fixed version has less texture and a shorter minimum throw distance.

Their marketing for their retractable screens is not accurate. There will be roller lines, the minimum throw distance is probably closer to 1.8-2.0, and texture/gain artifacts are visible at viewing distances closer than 12' as well.
That's good to know. Where did you see that the material is different? I was mostly leaning towards the Reference Studio 4K Motorized screen because of the material and how it said to have less texture but if this isn't the case perhaps I need to look elsewhere or settle for a tension screen with the standard Matte White material.
post #17 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably because you don't live on or near the boarder. I don't want to go off topic but there are reciprocal benefits for both sides. We typically see Canadians here on the weekends shopping for clothes, etc. as they can be cheaper because of the Canadian VAT. Gas and Canadian beer is cheaper here in the US. A lot of Canadians come here for surgery as a result of inadequacy's in Canada's socialized health care system. A good many Canadians work here and go back to Canada at night and vice versa for Michiganders. We often cross the boarder for fine dining as a great meal is less expensive in Windsor. And then there are the necessary trips to Canada for Poutine or taking old college friends from out of state to the Canadian Ballet.

Elunevision does not make a screen that I personally would seek out or want to buy. I was just pointing out that buying from them is/can be a viable option and it's possible that it could be cheaper if you meet certain qualifications. The OP indicated that he didn't think that you could buy direct from Elunevision and I simply provided the necessary contact information.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #18 of 40 Old 10-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's good to know. Where did you see that the material is different? I was mostly leaning towards the Reference Studio 4K Motorized screen because of the material and how it said to have less texture but if this isn't the case perhaps I need to look elsewhere or settle for a tension screen with the standard Matte White material.
I have the 100el(reference studio 4k motorized tensioned). It's a good case and tensioning system but just your standard pvc material like from elite silver ticket draper etc etc. Photos comparing the two from people on avs show the fixed screen is textureless as well.

2 things can happen, it has a black backing and will probably have roller marks, which will be more visible if you have a ceiling mounted projector and your eye level is closer to the bottom of the screen, the larger vertical viewing angles and projection angles make imperfections on the screen more visible. Or it doesnt have a black backing in which case light from behind the projector will illuminate the screen and if your throw distance is less than 1.8 you'll have hotspotting and these faint closely spaced horizontal sheen marks will be visible in the hotspot.

But all things considered its ok in its price range.

Whats your throw distance? distance of the lense to the screen. I know you dont want to spend more on the screen but consider stetching you budget to stewarts Neve or st100. theyre much nicer materials.. All the budget materials up to the neve will have visible texture/gain artifacts and hotspot at throw distances lower than 1.8. Neves minimum throw is 1.0 i think and has only a slight sheen artifact when compared to the studiotek/snomatte 100, which is white screen perfection, no artifacts no minimum throw perfectly matte neutral and invisible when projectioning on it. The ht5550 has a sharp image and a nice lense and will benefit from the nicer materials.

If you want to keep costs down though maybe get a quote from xy screens, they have a white material. I have their black crystal .8 gain and the case and tensioning system are nice, flat, no roller marks. you essentially bypass companies like elunevision and buy directly from the factory in china.
post #19 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the 100el(reference studio 4k motorized tensioned). It's a good case and tensioning system but just your standard pvc material like from elite silver ticket draper etc etc. Photos comparing the two from people on avs show the fixed screen is textureless as well.

2 things can happen, it has a black backing and will probably have roller marks, which will be more visible if you have a ceiling mounted projector and your eye level is closer to the bottom of the screen, the larger vertical viewing angles and projection angles make imperfections on the screen more visible. Or it doesnt have a black backing in which case light from behind the projector will illuminate the screen and if your throw distance is less than 1.8 you'll have hotspotting and these faint closely spaced horizontal sheen marks will be visible in the hotspot.

But all things considered its ok in its price range.

Whats your throw distance? distance of the lense to the screen. I know you dont want to spend more on the screen but consider stetching you budget to stewarts Neve or st100. theyre much nicer materials.. All the budget materials up to the neve will have visible texture/gain artifacts and hotspot at throw distances lower than 1.8. Neves minimum throw is 1.0 i think and has only a slight sheen artifact when compared to the studiotek/snomatte 100, which is white screen perfection, no artifacts no minimum throw perfectly matte neutral and invisible when projectioning on it. The ht5550 has a sharp image and a nice lense and will benefit from the nicer materials.

If you want to keep costs down though maybe get a quote from xy screens, they have a white material. I have their black crystal .8 gain and the case and tensioning system are nice, flat, no roller marks. you essentially bypass companies like elunevision and buy directly from the factory in china.
My throw distance is around 1.78. The projector is a about 12 inches off centered but I used the Horizontal shift to adjust the image. I had originally purchased an Elite Screen Spectrum Tab-Tension https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I sent it back because of the vertical waves that were present, see the pictures below. Are you saying that those lines are normal? I upgraded from a VMAX2 92" it wasn't very flat and it sometimes made menu bars from Netflix and cable boxes look uneven. I didn't have roller marks though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite pic 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	2623036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite pic 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	670.7 KB
ID:	2623038  
post #20 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've never seen a minimum throw distance given for a 1.0 gain matte white screen like the OP is asking about. Minimum throw distance is normally cited for ALR screens, not lambertian screens.
post #21 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... What other 100" or 106" motorized screens do you think are comparable to the Elunevision in performance and price? ...
What I said is that there are US-based screen companies that offer comparable performance and pricing to Elunevision. On an individual model-to-model comparison the only way to know for sure would be to have comprehensive comparison tests. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such comprehensive comparison tests of products from Elunevision and comparable US vendors. That leaves you with trying to read between the lines of various owner reviews. Marketing claims are not especially useful as some marketers use lots of flowery language to say basically the same thing that others say in a few plain words. Again, you have to read between the lines.

I see now that you are saying you have already tried two different Elite electric screens and weren't satisfied with their performance. You also mention Silver Ticket not having tab tension electric screens in stock but I just checked there and they currently have five 100" tab tension electric screens in stock and ready to ship. Monoprice is another source of good quality, lower cost tab tension electric screens but I'm not sure if they have the size you want. If you've done the research and can't find any US vendors that offer the screen size and price you want then Elunevision might be the best option. Elunevision's reputation on this forum is generally comparable to US vendors like Silver Ticket and Monoprice. I wouldn't be afraid of doing business with them just because they're in Canada and not the US.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that over the years there have been several Elunevision owner threads in this forum. You might want to use the Search feature to search the Screens forum for Elunevision and see what different owners have to say.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 10-03-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #22 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My throw distance is around 1.78. The projector is a about 12 inches off centered but I used the Horizontal shift to adjust the image. I had originally purchased an Elite Screen Spectrum Tab-Tension https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I sent it back because of the vertical waves that were present, see the pictures below. Are you saying that those lines are normal? I upgraded from a VMAX2 92" it wasn't very flat and it sometimes made menu bars from Netflix and cable boxes look uneven. I didn't have roller marks though.
Normal for the elite spectrum. Their starling tab tension is probably better, and similar to elunevisions, monoprice, silver ticket, grandview, etc., draper and dalite should have better quality control but at that price id just go with the neve cima. The roller/sheen marks I mentioned were specific to elunevision, my screen(sheen no black backing) and another user on here recently(roller with black backing). I cant say for sure whether the screens from elite etc. will be perfectly flat with no deficiencies as I only have the 2, but the xy screen is without blemishes.

Quote:
I've never seen a minimum throw distance given for a 1.0 gain matte white screen like the OP is asking about. Minimum throw distance is normally cited for ALR screens, not lambertian screens.
Shouldn't they? I have a 1.4-1.5 throw at about 9-10ft and all the budget stuff hotspots and shows some type of artifact from the optical layer. Only the perfectly matte surfaces don't under those conditions.

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/neve-cima-only 1.0

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-100 0.3
post #23 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be afraid of doing business with them just because they're in Canada and not the US.
I think the concern would be in return shipping, but shipping these screens is expensive regardless so unless it's covered by amazon or whatever seller offers free return shipping if there are defects then its all the same, us, canada, china, its going to cost alot.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #24 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Shouldn't they? I have a 1.4-1.5 throw at about 9-10ft and all the budget stuff hotspots and shows some type of artifact from the optical layer. Only the perfectly matte surfaces don't under those conditions. ...
Should budget screens marketed as 1.0 gain matte screens have warnings that they require a minimum throw distance to avoid hotspots and show artifacts due to the fact that they're not perfect lambertian matte screens? In a perfect world, sure, every marketer would willingly reveal its products' flaws. In the real world that's an unrealistic expectation. We have to rely on independently conducted testing by knowledgeable AV specialists, and not all screens from all companies end up being evaluated. Ideally every screen could be tested and documented in a report like the one from AccuCal:

accucalav.com/wp-content/uploads/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf
post #25 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
I think the concern would be in return shipping, but shipping these screens is expensive regardless so unless it's covered by amazon or whatever seller offers free return shipping if there are defects then its all the same, us, canada, china, its going to cost alot.
I just went thru the rtn process as my Elunevision electric had roller marks...They paid for return shipping and refunded my Visa...very professional...Their tech support was also awesome...Waiting for my Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 125" Tab tensioned retractable at 3 times the price to arrive

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000, Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #26 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I just went thru the rtn process as my Elunevision electric had roller marks...They paid for return shipping and refunded my Visa...very professional...Their tech support was also awesome...Waiting for my Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 125" Tab tensioned retractable at 3 times the price to arrive
I have Elunevision's 4K 112" motorized AT tab tensioned screen. It works well, no issues, and am happy with picture quality. Having said this, screens are not easily comparison-shopped, so YMMV. I considered Stewart but it was more expensive for me as I am only a few kilometres from Elunevision. Elite was cheaper, but as some users have had issues with its motorized screens, I did not go that route.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #27 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtoronto View Post
I have Elunevision's 4K 112" motorized AT tab tensioned screen. It works well, no issues, and am happy with picture quality. Having said this, screens are not easily comparison-shopped, so YMMV. I considered Stewart but it was more expensive for me as I am only a few kilometres from Elunevision. Elite was cheaper, but as some users have had issues with its motorized screens, I did not go that route.
Stewart, for some reason, is very expensive in Canada...I wished the Elunevision had worked out...Elite is not big in my books...I started looking at Draper, Seymour etc, all the same price as Stewart, in Canada...

post #28 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Quote:
I’m in the U.S. and I am thinking about getting an Elunevision Reference projector screen. Has anyone purchased an Elunevision Screen and if so from where? It doesn’t appear that you can purchase directly from their website and there aren’t any box stores to walk into and buy it, so I’m not exactly sure how exactly I’m supposed to buy it from them. It looks like the 100" Reference Studio 4K Motorized is my best option under $1200 but I'm open to suggestions if someone knows of a better option?
If you go to advance search, use the title search only option and Elunevision as your search word...you'll find 34 previous threads/discussions that maybe of help in your research.
post #29 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Stewart, for some reason, is very expensive in Canada...I wished the Elunevision had worked out...Elite is not big in my books...I started looking at Draper, Seymour etc, all the same price as Stewart, in Canada...
Just as a friendly FYI, Stewart is also expensive in the US. The reason being is that they are a top tier supplier/manufacture with regards to image quality and uniformity.

They've been around for 70+ years and are more or less considered an industry/reference standard on the commercial side. Stewart was/is on the leading edge of developing screen materials specifically for home digital projection use that addressed various short comings with regards to digital projection technologies. Stewart offers excellent customer support. They are as happy to help you with a 20 year old Stewart screen as they are to sell you a new one.

Without any disrespect, this would be in direct contrast to many companies that are selling private label branded product, at lower prices, that is sourced from Chinese OEM's as does Elite, VisualApex, Elunevision, Silver Ticket, etc. who also offer good customer service.

The question always comes down to whether or not one is willing to pay the premium for a Stewart or if one can see the difference between a Stewart and a low cost screen, or even cares. But there is a difference and it can be measured and quantified. Quality always seems to be incremental and come with a price and one has to ask if you want the best or will be satisfied with close enough is good enough.
Dave in Green and asharma like this.
post #30 of 40 Old 10-03-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Just as a friendly FYI, Stewart is also expensive in the US. The reason being is that they are a top tier supplier/manufacture with regards to image quality and uniformity.

They've been around for 70+ years and are more or less considered an industry/reference standard on the commercial side. Stewart was/is on the leading edge of developing screen materials specifically for home digital projection use that addressed various short comings with regards to digital projection technologies. Stewart offers excellent customer support. They are as happy to help you with a 20 year old Stewart screen as they are to sell you a new one.

Without any disrespect, this would be in direct contrast to many companies that are selling private label branded product, at lower prices, that is sourced from Chinese OEM's as does Elite, VisualApex, Elunevision, Silver Ticket, etc. who also offer good customer service.

The question always comes down to whether or not one is willing to pay the premium for a Stewart or if one can see the difference between a Stewart and a low cost screen, or even cares. But there is a difference and it can be measured and quantified. Quality always seems to be incremental and come with a price and one has to ask if you want the best or will be satisfied with close enough is good enough.
Totally agree, guess I wanted the best...I’m the person who will stare at the pin head size paint chip on the Porsche wrecking the whole experience for me...Same with video artifacts...should have my Cima Neve in a couple of weeks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page