Utilizing a fixed projector screen when not used? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-25-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Utilizing a fixed projector screen when not used?

Any ideas of how a fixed projector screen can be utilized when not used with the projector?

Some TVs have an app that turns them into paintings when not used and I guess you could do something similar with a projector screen, but I don't like that as it would consume too much energy and add hours to my projector's lamp.

Another idea I had is to put led strips behind the screen, so it can be turned into a large diffused light panel. Maybe the LEDs can be of different colors creating an interesting light pattern, something like an abstract paining. But I don't think the screen will allow sufficient light to pass through.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Maybe use laser to do a laser light show. There are ones in various price ranges. Here’s an example:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 441
It would require using the projector, but how about turning it into a "window" by feeding it with the HDMI output of an outdoor camera?

Here is an extreme example of the concept ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought of a laser projector, but probably it is a bit too "flashy" and maybe not that cheap to run.

Maybe I will add a few small dimable RGB recessed directional downlights on the ceiling in front of the screen and use them to "mix" different kind of colors on the screen.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-25-2019, 03:27 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Something like this is inexpensive and would probably get the job done perfectly (without using up your projector bulb):

https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Chr...2038602&sr=8-2

post #6 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 561
One other solution is to paint the entire wall with a screen paint eliminating the screen entirely. When the projector is off it's just a blank accent wall.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Something like this is inexpensive and would probably get the job done perfectly (without using up your projector bulb):
Looks interesting (if I can find the right pattern). I wonder if you can focus the beam to cover just a rectangular surface.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
One other solution is to paint the entire wall with a screen paint eliminating the screen entirely. When the projector is off it's just a blank accent wall.
Yes, that is another option. But isn't screen paint a bit of a compromise when compared to an actual screen? Also I think the black border that screens have can make the image seem to have a bit more contrast.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14

You get a set of those holders with steel wire for approx. 20 bucks at Ikea (up to 200 inches long)
At my local printing press I can buy one piece of textile larger than 120" and have it printed with an image of my choice for less than $100.
Hang it over the wire and you have a huge piece of art in your room (maybe even use it like a curtain you can push to one side while watching).

I think I'm actually going to do this once my new screen is up.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post
... But isn't screen paint a bit of a compromise when compared to an actual screen? ...
Not if done properly with a well-prepared wall and the correct paint carefully applied. When thewirecutter.com did their big screen comparison test the best measured performance was by a painted screen, not a manufactured screen. It requires a lot more work but can produce great results. Anyone who decides to go this route can get good advice in the DIY Screen Section of AVS Forum.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/
post #11 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 01:46 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
This is what I'm doing in my basement -- I just project straight onto the wall. The projector is hidden also, so it's a totally stealth system when not in use. We had friends over and they commented that I should put a TV down in the basement, I then flipped on the projector and were blown away.

I'm actually projecting onto a fine grain stucco antique white wall and the picture is remarkably good. Never tried paint, but I'll bet it will look great. I don't have any issue with absence of a black frame in the basement, though that room is dimly lit.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
When thewirecutter.com did their big screen comparison test the best measured performance was by a painted screen, not a manufactured screen.
What they suggest seems more like a wallpaper.

Now I think of it, paint will have an additional issue in my case: I plan to have conduit access on that wall (connected to the AV cabinet below) for when TVs become big/cheap enough (or maybe modular) so the screen can be easily substituted with a TV.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-27-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
What they suggest seems more like a wallpaper.

Now I think of it, paint will have an additional issue in my case: I plan to have conduit access on that wall (connected to the AV cabinet below) for when TVs become big/cheap enough (or maybe modular) so the screen can be easily substituted with a TV.
AV cabinets under the screen are very old school. Especially with a projector all AV components should be near the back of the room ideally hidden in a closet. For a nice clean look most prefer hidden components compared to a obvious AV cabinet with distracting lights under the screen. It also has the bonus of much more reliable short HDMI cables with just easily hidden speaker wire running to the front of the room for LRC.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 10-27-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-27-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What they suggest seems more like a wallpaper. ...
The Screen Goo paint package tested included paper on which the paint was applied. Most DIY painted screens are done directly on walls and not on paper. There are many good options discussed in the DIY Screen Section of AVS Forum.

EDIT: I need to correct this as I mixed it up with another product. Unlike Goo Systems' other products which are all paint, GooToob is a wallpaper that is not painted. GooToob scored well in thewirecutter.com comparison review measurements while Goo Paint scored lower. Still, even Goo Paint measured close to Silver Ticket and Carl's FlexiWhite, so not bad overall. Paint is definitely a viable alternative to manufactured screens but requires a lot of care and hard work to get right.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 10-29-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-28-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
I have one of those outdoor star projectors things made to shine on a tree. I mounted it in the theater to shine on my flat black ceiling. I turn it on once and a while, little kids get a kick out of it watching a movie under the stars. If the field is too wide just mount a mask between it and the screen/wall to block the unwanted parts.

Bud
post #16 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have edited my previous post for accuracy:

Quote:
The Screen Goo paint package tested included paper on which the paint was applied. Most DIY painted screens are done directly on walls and not on paper. There are many good options discussed in the DIY Screen Section of AVS Forum.

EDIT: I need to correct this as I mixed it up with another product. Unlike Goo Systems' other products which are all paint, GooToob is a wallpaper that is not painted. GooToob scored well in thewirecutter.com comparison review measurements while Goo Paint scored lower. Still, even Goo Paint measured close to Silver Ticket and Carl's FlexiWhite, so not bad overall. Paint is definitely a viable alternative to manufactured screens but requires a lot of care and hard work to get right.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

I think @MississippiMan and others who have used his paint and method would says it’s not that tricky at all.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page