Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Need some input on screens

Folks - I am building my AT theater and need some input on screens.

1. If I go with an Epson 3800 projector, distance from front of screen to projector lens will be about 12 feet. Is this a good distance for a 120 inch screen? I will sit perhaps 2 feet forward.

2. The next question is regarding screen placement.

1. Height of chairs from rtheaters - 42.5 inches. I am assuming when seated the head will be 42.5 inches from floor

2. Height of floor to ceiling in my room - 90 inches

3. Height of a 120 inch diagonal screen - 65.175 inches (including border for the silverticket AT screen)

Going with recommendations on best practice, 1/3 of screen should be below eye level or 21.725 inches. Subtracting this from 42.5 inches which is the floor to eye distance while seated gives 20.77 inches. This means my screen bottom will start 20.77 inches from floor. Adding the height of the screen of 65.175 inches comes to 85.95 inches. Given that my floor to ceiling is only 90 inches this will only leave 4.05 inches from top of screen to ceiling and I will need to make a 4.05 inch top panel.

Is it typical for screen distance from floor to bottom of screen and floor to top of screen not being equidistant?

Instead if I took 90 inches from floor to ceiling and positioned the 65.175 inch equidistant from ceiling and floor, the screen will start 12.4 inches from floor instead of 20.77 inches from floor (previously). This would mean 30 inches out of 65.175 inches will be below eye level or 46 pct instead of recommended 33pct But screen mounting will look symmetrical.

Which option above is better?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
The old adage is to paint the wall flat white and play around with screen height and placement for a couple months and figure out what you personally like best. That’s a little hard with an AT setup as you have those speakers in the way. Many people are using DIY spandex as an AT screen material so I guess for under 50 bucks you could buy the recommended white or gray spandex and pin it up to play with figuring out what you like.

My preferred method of presentation is CIH or CIH+IMAX for the IMAX expanding movies like Dunkirk and Aquaman. Most people like a seating distance between 2X and 3X the height of the screen for CIH constant image height and IMAX the same width as scope movies only with additional height.

As to screen location the 1/3 rule I believe has to do more with most theater seating slightly reclines the viewer and in doing that your eyes end up more at the center of the screen. sitting upright I like my eyes half way up the screen. it depends more on your seating and if you recline or if your feet are up and in the image than anything else.

Bud
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The feedback from seating guy is:

If you have such a low ceiling and such a large screen, I would recommend putting it all the way up to a ceiling. Do not forget that when you recline in most common position the back will go down about 4”.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
The feedback from seating guy is:

If you have such a low ceiling and such a large screen, I would recommend putting it all the way up to a ceiling. Do not forget that when you recline in most common position the back will go down about 4”.

I'm looking at a similar installation at the moment, except my size is a 100" diagonal and I'm using a roll-down, motorized screen.

My ceiling height is similar at 95" , and because of the screen I have chosen I have very few options on height. In my case:

Casing/black area of screen at top: 22"
Viewable screen height: 49"
Area below screen: 24"

That means that the bottom third of my screen will be 40" from the floor which is a bit high as I'm sitting on a sofa, but I've got no real way of saying for sure until the screen arrives.

I have projected onto the wall, but with a 65" TV, speakers etc. in front it is hard to get a true feel for it. I'm not too concerned because this is the only set up that allows me to have a projector with a 100" screen in the limited space that I have got in this particular room!

I'm hoping to take delivery of the screen next week, so I'll let you know.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
I'm looking at a similar installation at the moment, except my size is a 100" diagonal and I'm using a roll-down, motorized screen.

My ceiling height is similar at 95" , and because of the screen I have chosen I have very few options on height. In my case:

Casing/black area of screen at top: 22"

Viewable screen height: 49"

Area below screen: 24"

That means that the bottom third of my screen will be 40" from the floor which is a bit high as I'm sitting on a sofa, but I've got no real way of saying for sure until the screen arrives.

I have projected onto the wall, but with a 65" TV, speakers etc. in front it is hard to get a true feel for it. I'm not too concerned because this is the only set up that allows me to have a projector with a 100" screen in the limited space that I have got in this particular room!

I'm hoping to take delivery of the screen next week, so I'll let you know.
What are your room dimensions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page