Need help picking a budget setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattintx

post #1 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need help picking a budget setup

I have a 15’ x 20’ room that My wife wants a projector added to for movie nights/kids.

It currently is my Lego room and the Lego will remain in it. To make this work I’m going to need a motorized screen that drops from the ceiling to allow room to keep my Lego on display around the perimeter of the room. It will basically need to drop the screen about 30” away from the end of the wall to still allow for the Lego to be on display. The room has two windows that I can black out.

I’ve been looking at different projectors and screens and my head is spinning. I’d really prefer to keep the screen and projector under 3k. I can go higher but am not an enthusiast so keeping the bang for buck high is my goal. It seems like a screen around 120” would work well. The ceiling is 9ft high if that matters.

The majority of the content will probably be movies for my kids, Netflix for my kids and once in a blue moon my wife and I watching a normal movie 🙂

Any suggestions? I’d really prefer to just put an 86” tv in it but there’s no where to put the tv on the wall with the way the Lego is displayed and it’s staying.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I would go with a Silver Ticket tab tensioned screen, which can be installed on the wall or ceiling.

https://www.silverticketproducts.com...12894310170704

As for a projector, you may want to check out the Epson 5050UB:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoC0vMQAvD_BwE

It's over the 3k budget but I think this setup will serve you well.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that screen!
m0j0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
If it were mine I would get a screen as the one shown above and a 1080p RGBRGB DLP projector such as the BenQ HT2050A and a HT in a box AVR 5.1 sound system ($300-500) and a streaming BD player ($100)

This would bring your budget in close to $2k including cables and if you shop wisely you would have a little left to get the lego movies on BD.

The wife and the kids won’t know 4k from 1080 and you will be also blown away.

Bud
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would suggest a 3LCD so that you get better color brightness.
If you do get a DLP, make sure to set it up right away and have everybody watch an action movie so that you can find out if anyone can see and is bothered by rainbow artifacts so that you can return it if they are.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3843 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystryda View Post
I would suggest a 3LCD so that you get better color brightness. ...
Projectorcentral.com has done many comparison reviews between DLP and 3LCD projectors and most of those comparisons result in similar conclusions that lighting conditions are a primary differentiator between which one will work best. For example, their conclusion when comparing the DLP BenQ HT1070A to the 3LCD Epson HC 1060 was:
Quote:
In most cases, however, the right choice will depend on the ambient light level you plan to use the projector in most of the time. In the dark or for dim lighting, if you want more saturated color, good shadow detail, and a better sense of three-dimensionality, you'll get it from the BenQ HT1070A. In a brightly lit living room or family room, however, the clear choice for richer, more saturated color and the better sense of depth is the Epson Home Cinema 1060.
projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT1070A-vs-Epson-Home-Cinema-1060-review.htm
post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Get the screen mentioned above and a Epson HC3700.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-10-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 561
The two projectors I would be looking at are the BenQ 2050a and the Epson 3100/3700. The Epson's are on closeout right now and an absolute bargain. Forget 4K you would just be wasting your $. I am assuming that this is a room with white ceiling and light colored walls so don't waste your money on a high contrast projector like the 5050. The Epson 3000 series has great brightness and great placement flexibility with lot of lens shift/zoom range where the BenQ is a little sharper and has great motion handling but very limited placement flexibility. Tab tensioned screen if you can afford it but a cheaper screen will work fine just don't expect it to remain perfectly flat, a condition some can tolerate more then others.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page