• 1 Post By James A

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
UST Screen - Vava

Hi,
I previously had a setup in my old house with a Epson overhead projector with a 100" gray screen from Silver ticket. This screen has a black raised border around it. I recently moved and purchased a Vava UST projector and it appears this screen will not work because of that raised black border, the border cuts off the picture. My question is what 100" screen would be recommended to use in a room with very little outside light coming in? I have one window directly to the left of the screen, however, it has plantation shutters on it so it doesn't let much light in and most of our viewing will be at night watching movies and light won't be an issue. I assume I have to go without any border and I want to spend less then $1k. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2640856  

Last edited by James A; 11-14-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Researched and the only viable options were The Viewsonic and Elite. I went with the Viewsonic , it was higher then the $1k limit, but seems to get better reviews.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A View Post
Researched and the only viable options were The Viewsonic and Elite. I went with the Viewsonic , it was higher then the $1k limit, but seems to get better reviews.
which other screens did you consider? I am looking for a affordable screen myself. Hoping to stay close to $700 actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ82 View Post
which other screens did you consider? I am looking for a affordable screen myself. Hoping to stay close to $700 actually.
https://elitescreens.com/front/front...il/product/154

There are Chinese ones (XY, Snow white, etc), but don't want to deal with that and they seem to be similar to the Elite without having to go overseas. Similar price as the Elite also. Can get the Elite on Amazon for little less then their website.
AJ82 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 910
If you're looking for a particularly thin-to-the-screen border, did you know you can buy a velvet-like tape that works like a stick-on black border for your screen? I think you can get it from Amazon and I know Carlofet / Carl's sold it. You might be able to modify an existing screen to have a flatter boarder with something like this so it doesn't block your projector anymore. Or if you really wanted something low-cost you could project right onto the wall and get your image all squared up nicely, then tape off the area outside the image and paint the inside with a quart of flat-white interior wall-paint. Let it dry, roll a second coat and remove the surrounding painter tape, then put up your tape-on black boarder once it's dry. That would give you a really flat boarder of any size you want.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2019, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I think I've narrowed down my choices to these two as well. But can you point me to those Viewsonic reviews you read? I can find elite reviews, but I can't find reviews for those BCP100 or BCP120 from viewsonic. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Hi,

I previously had a setup in my old house with a Epson overhead projector with a 100" gray screen from Silver ticket. This screen has a black raised border around it. I recently moved and purchased a Vava UST projector and it appears this screen will not work because of that raised black border, the border cuts off the picture. My question is what 100" screen would be recommended to use in a room with very little outside light coming in? I have one window directly to the left of the screen, however, it has plantation shutters on it so it doesn't let much light in and most of our viewing will be at night watching movies and light won't be an issue. I assume I have to go without any border and I want to spend less then $1k. Thanks.
If you have a Vava they will offer you their UST screen for a very good price. You need to join their Facebook group and request the pricing for shipment. I have an Azure screen and the XY is even more expensive. But I believe the Vava is very competitive. What I don't know is who the original OEM of the screen is. It's not XY or Azure but it may be someone like Snow White.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page