Motorised screen the wrong size, solutions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By aoaaron

post #1 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Motorised screen the wrong size, solutions?

Hi, I'm planning to get a motorised screen due to logistical constraints. My main issue is I haven't had my PJ yet but from some throw distance calculations the image i'll be able to throw will be in the range of 85 to 90 inches. Most likely 88 inches or so. What are my solutions to this if I'm buying a 90 inch screen? Do I buy a smaller screen and zoom out a bit? Or is there some form of tape I can apply to the screen to decrease the image size?

Are there other options which are portable?

My issue is I have a TV wall mounted so that can't move. I can't think of any other solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Hi, I'm planning to get a motorised screen due to logistical constraints. My main issue is I haven't had my PJ yet but from some throw distance calculations the image i'll be able to throw will be in the range of 85 to 90 inches. Most likely 88 inches or so. What are my solutions to this if I'm buying a 90 inch screen? Do I buy a smaller screen and zoom out a bit? Or is there some form of tape I can apply to the screen to decrease the image size?

I wouldn't worry about it until you get the projector and see what size of an image it is able to throw. It might not be a problem. Even if it is an inch here or there smaller, you probably won't notice at night with the lights off. If it does bother you, you could try some type of masking solution where you use protostar or triple black fabric or something to cover the areas you want to be blacked out.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Are there other options which are portable?

My issue is I have a TV wall mounted so that can't move. I can't think of any other solution.
Projector calculator sometimes rounds up the figures.

Take the minimum throw range from the page specifications.
Take the projector depth.
Add ~4" at the back for cables.
Check the specifications of the screen to find out how at what is the size of the casing and where the screen itself would fall.

For instance for the Sony HW40:
https://pro.sony/en_GR/products/hd-h...ock-vpl-hw40es

Dimensions (W x H x D) (without protrusions)
407.4 x 179.2 x 463.9 mm (16 1/8 x 7 1/8 x 18 3/8 inches)

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf..._spec_8174.pdf
Page 4:
Minimum throw range is 1.36:1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 793
I believe most mfgr's will make the screen any size you want, at a cost of the next largest size.

Noah
post #5 of 12 Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
As has been noted, projector calculators are not 100% accurate even if you have the exact throw from the front of the projector lens to the surface of the screen which will be hanging in front of your TV. Because you appear to have such limited flexibility it's going to take some experimenting and trial and error to confirm maximum image size to the nearest inch. If you end up finding that 85" is as small as you can get the image there are 84" motorized screens available. While it's true that you can order custom size screens to the exact size you need they tend to be more expensive than standard size screens that are mass produced.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
As has been noted, projector calculators are not 100% accurate even if you have the exact throw from the front of the projector lens to the surface of the screen which will be hanging in front of your TV. Because you appear to have such limited flexibility it's going to take some experimenting and trial and error to confirm maximum image size to the nearest inch. If you end up finding that 85" is as small as you can get the image there are 84" motorized screens available. While it's true that you can order custom size screens to the exact size you need they tend to be more expensive than standard size screens that are mass produced.

thanks i am on a budget and based in the UK. would rather keep price under £300 and I aim to DIY and paint long term.

thanks for all the responses. I now have the projector in hand and played with it. from the screens I can find in the UK its a question of an 84'' screen or a 92'' screen. The 92'' screen will have a likely 88'' projected image or I have a 84'' screen... after experiencing projection.. i think bigger is better and I will put up with the borders...

now onto grey vs white..
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
@aoaaron , I would just say that in the real world the difference between 84" and 88" images would be virtually unnoticeable by most. On the other hand, the difference between the image extending all the way to the black screen border or not might be more noticeable. But different people might perceive this differently, so the important thing is to understand the relative impact of how those two things might affect you. One thing you should be able to easily do is try viewing 84" and 88" images on a plain painted wall to see how much difference you perceive when viewing content. Then consider that moving your seating a few inches forward will make the 84" image appear identical to the 88" image in terms of field of view.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@aoaaron , I would just say that in the real world the difference between 84" and 88" images would be virtually unnoticeable by most. On the other hand, the difference between the image extending all the way to the black screen border or not might be more noticeable. But different people might perceive this differently, so the important thing is to understand the relative impact of how those two things might affect you. One thing you should be able to easily do is try viewing 84" and 88" images on a plain painted wall to see how much difference you perceive when viewing content. Then consider that moving your seating a few inches forward will make the 84" image appear identical to the 88" image in terms of field of view.
Thank you. I got a good deal on a Draper React 3 Screen for £575 but its 95''. They said the RRP is £2000+. I phoned up an AV dealer who said he'd provide me for one for £1500. Whilst I was paying £300 for a cheap chinese grey screen tab tension knock off by a non home theatre company. So I jumped on the Draper as once I added in risk, screen paint, import tax, HVLP gun, time... I felt the DIY route wasn't worth it

I did contemplate strongly the 84'' image but ultimately I've decided that it'll be a waste of money as although it will serve my purposes now, it will likely not serve my purposes in 6-12 months time when I move house and I feel like 84'' image is a screen size I will grow bored of quickly if I buy a 77'' OLED whilst 88''-95'' is something the OLED will struggle to compete.

I spoke to the dealer who said height shouldn't be an issue as its adjustible via the remote but the excess screen on the sides will be there. I can live with that and even position the screen so its all excess on just the left (which is where my speaker, PC etc. is anyway.. aka a place I don't look.

All in all, I'm ok with my decision as I feel dealing with a couple of more inches and having some growing space isn't a bad compromise for an ALR screen in a room whcih has 4 white walls, a window, a white ceiling and a black very reflective semi precious stone muriel just opposite the screen.
I did my measurements and it will physically fit (just) so thats something.
Rather than go from wall to white to grey to alr screen.. i've gone straight to an ALR screen.
I hope it comes okay and theres no faults. I can re-use it later when I move house and need a PJ in an ambient light setting (which this one is anyway).

Short term wise, if the excess screen REALLY annoys me, I am contemplating switching out the Sony HW40ES now for a Panasonic AE8000 which is smaller and gives me 15cm more throw distance and has a slightly larger throw ratio anyway... but for now I'll stick with the Sony and deal with the excess fabric.

Its a definite spanner in the works for me which i was not expecting but ultimately the gross over-pricing of screens in the UK forced my hands towards this ALR screen... as if I'm going to pay top dollar for what is potentially a temporary screen, I need some form of versatility from it! Also all the top tier paints exist in the US and once I factored in the import tax and shipping, they just didn't add up to be worth while compared to this extremely discounted screen.
Dave in Green likes this.

Last edited by aoaaron; 11-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. I got a good deal on a Draper React 3 Screen for £575 but its 95''. They said the RRP is £2000+. I phoned up an AV dealer who said he'd provide me for one for £1500. Whilst I was paying £300 for a cheap chinese grey screen tab tension knock off by a non home theatre company. So I jumped on the Draper as once I added in risk, screen paint, import tax, HVLP gun, time... I felt the DIY route wasn't worth it

I did contemplate strongly the 84'' image but ultimately I've decided that it'll be a waste of money as although it will serve my purposes now, it will likely not serve my purposes in 6-12 months time when I move house and I feel like 84'' image is a screen size I will grow bored of quickly if I buy a 77'' OLED whilst 88''-95'' is something the OLED will struggle to compete.

I spoke to the dealer who said height shouldn't be an issue as its adjustible via the remote but the excess screen on the sides will be there. I can live with that and even position the screen so its all excess on just the left (which is where my speaker, PC etc. is anyway.. aka a place I don't look.

All in all, I'm ok with my decision as I feel dealing with a couple of more inches and having some growing space isn't a bad compromise for an ALR screen in a room whcih has 4 white walls, a window, a white ceiling and a black very reflective semi precious stone muriel just opposite the screen.
I did my measurements and it will physically fit (just) so thats something.
Rather than go from wall to white to grey to alr screen.. i've gone straight to an ALR screen.
I hope it comes okay and theres no faults. I can re-use it later when I move house and need a PJ in an ambient light setting (which this one is anyway).

Short term wise, if the excess screen REALLY annoys me, I am contemplating switching out the Sony HW40ES now for a Panasonic AE8000 which is smaller and gives me 15cm more throw distance and has a slightly larger throw ratio anyway... but for now I'll stick with the Sony and deal with the excess fabric.

Its a definite spanner in the works for me which i was not expecting but ultimately the gross over-pricing of screens in the UK forced my hands towards this ALR screen... as if I'm going to pay top dollar for what is potentially a temporary screen, I need some form of versatility from it! Also all the top tier paints exist in the US and once I factored in the import tax and shipping, they just didn't add up to be worth while compared to this extremely discounted screen.
Usually these types of ALR's have a minimum throw range of 1.5x or higher. I could not find any information regarding React 3 on this issue, only this post claiming it works with short throw projectors:
https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/dr...t-tab-tension/

In that setup the throw is about 1.35x.
Maybe contact the company and inquire if it works in this configuration.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Usually these types of ALR's have a minimum throw range of 1.5x or higher. I could not find any information regarding React 3 on this issue, only this post claiming it works with short throw projectors:
https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/dr...t-tab-tension/

In that setup the throw is about 1.35x.
Maybe contact the company and inquire if it works in this configuration.

I'm receiving it tommorow so will just try to set it up and if it doesnt work, return it

i checked the site and it say the distance needs to be 2x the image height. https://www.euroscreens.se/home-3/pr...-2.aspx?pid=78

im hoping that means vertical height hahahaha. Otherwise i'm going to be wasting a looooot of time setting this up lmao.

Last edited by aoaaron; 11-29-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm receiving it tommorow so will just try to set it up and if it doesnt work, return it

i checked the site and it say the distance needs to be 2x the image height. https://www.euroscreens.se/home-3/pr...-2.aspx?pid=78

im hoping that means vertical height hahahaha. Otherwise i'm going to be wasting a looooot of time setting this up lmao.

I think that is a reference to what distance the viewer should sit from the screen, not a ratio of projector to screen requirement.

This thread mentions a minimum throw of 1.8x:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/dra...ghton.2131738/
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I think that is a reference to what distance the viewer should sit from the screen, not a ratio of projector to screen requirement.

This thread mentions a minimum throw of 1.8x:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/dra...ghton.2131738/

Yup. I've read about it :/ I saw a few ppl on the thread had smaller than reccomended throw issues and had no issue but I'll post on the thread my honest unbiased findings.

The PJ is only going to be set up for myself in the middle position facing the screen so fingers crossed it doesn't have too many issues.

If it does have more issues than a white screen or grey screen would have then sadly, I'll have to explore the DIY solutions which suck as the import tax and shipping fees kill the possibility of me getting anything from the US which is where all the best ones are sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page