AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 with Epson 5050UB Seating Distance (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/3104732-dreamscreen-ultraweave-v6-epson-5050ub-seating-distance.html)

alangsk 11-25-2019 11:13 AM

Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 with Epson 5050UB Seating Distance

I have gone back and forth about an AT screen vs a non-AT screen and I think I have decided on an AT screen. I am in the early stages of design for my theater, but the room is 16.5 ft wide by 20 ft deep by 8.5 ft high and will be completely light controlled. I am planning on a screen size of approximately 109 inches wide by 49 inches high (2.35:1 AR). I am also planning to light it up with the Epson 5050UB. The first row of seats would be approximately 8.5 ft from the screen with the second row at around 14 ft on a 12 inch riser. With that information, I am also planning to use Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 for the screen material.

Here is my main question: Does that seem like an ideal set up for that material or will the front row possibly notice the weave in the material?

skylarlove1999 11-25-2019 11:21 AM

[quote=alangsk;58871206]I have gone back and forth about an AT screen vs a non-AT screen and I think I have decided on an AT screen. I am in the early stages of design for my theater, but the room is 16.5 ft wide by 20 ft deep by 8.5 ft high and will be completely light controlled. I am planning on a screen size of approximately 109 inches wide by 49 inches high (2.35:1 AR). I am also planning to light it up with the Epson 5050UB. The first row of seats would be approximately 8.5 ft from the screen with the second row at around 14 ft on a 12 inch riser. With that information, I am also planning to use Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 for the screen material.

Here is my main question: Does that seem like an ideal set up for that material or will the front row possibly notice the weave in the material?[/quote @Lygren . Any way you could possibly way in on this one. I know your knowledge and expertise will be far more valuable than most anyone regarding this topic. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ericglo 11-25-2019 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just took this picture with a sheet of white paper and a Stewart Firehawk in the background. It is about a foot away.

The real question is can you see the weave with the pj on and not in sunlight? I would highly doubt it. IIRC Mike Garret and I were talking to Chris at his Seymour booth and we could hardly see any weave right near the screen with the pj on. The V6 will be roughly the same.

The best thing to do is grab a sample from Craig Peer or Mike Garrett and test yourself.

Lygren 11-25-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericglo (Post 58871334)
I just took this picture with a sheet of white paper and a Stewart Firehawk in the background. It is about a foot away.

The real question is can you see the weave with the pj on and not in sunlight? I would highly doubt it. IIRC Mike Garret and I were talking to Chris at his Seymour booth and we could hardly see any weave right near the screen with the pj on. The V6 will be roughly the same.

The best thing to do is grab a sample from Craig Peer or Mike Garrett and test yourself.

@alangsk , thanks for considering the v6 for your project. The weave will not be visible from 8,5ft for sure, but the Epson 5050, although a great projector, might require a bit more of a distance to avoid the LCD raster becoming somewhat visible. I have tested the 5050 in my own cinema some months ago, and my first row is also about 8-9ft from the screen. In certain bright material I could slightly make out the pixel grid from the Epson. I have now altered to a JVC X-series projector, and although I miss the excellent HDR performance and light output of the Epson the JVC is not showing any grid, even with e-shift turned off.

So; for the v6 screen fabric - no problem whatsoever at that seating distance - for the Epson - I would advice you test it and have a return option if you´re not happy with the results. Please make sure you turn on the e-shift BTW, although it should be on by default.

alangsk 11-25-2019 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lygren (Post 58871690)
@alangsk , thanks for considering the v6 for your project. The weave will not be visible from 8,5ft for sure, but the Epson 5050, although a great projector, might require a bit more of a distance to avoid the LCD raster becoming somewhat visible. I have tested the 5050 in my own cinema some months ago, and my first row is also about 8-9ft from the screen. In certain bright material I could slightly make out the pixel grid from the Epson. I have now altered to a JVC X-series projector, and although I miss the excellent HDR performance and light output of the Epson the JVC is not showing any grid, even with e-shift turned off.

So; for the v6 screen fabric - no problem whatsoever at that seating distance - for the Epson - I would advice you test it and have a return option if you´re not happy with the results. Please make sure you turn on the e-shift BTW, although it should be on by default.

Hey @Lygren , thank you for the feedback! Bear with me as I am learning all of this. So, using the calculator on projector central for the Epson 5050UB and taking some measurements in the room, I believe I can go with a shelf system in the back of the room that can be recessed into the back wall and I can get a throw distance of close to 19 ft 5 inches. Based on the attached graphic that could produce fl of 36 on a screen with 0.8 gain. I believe I should be able to turn down the light output to bring the fl down to a more acceptable level for a dark room. Does that seem correct? Would that help hide the pixel grid?

Lygren 11-26-2019 03:10 AM

The fL would not influence the pixel grid visibility a whole lot, and for the 5050 I always found the "middle" light output setting to be a good one for most content (the 5050 has three light output settings). You could probably use the lowest lamp setting for SDR, and gain a little improved black floor though, but I guess that´s easy for you to test once you´ve got the unit installed.

alangsk 11-26-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lygren (Post 58874818)
The fL would not influence the pixel grid visibility a whole lot, and for the 5050 I always found the "middle" light output setting to be a good one for most content (the 5050 has three light output settings). You could probably use the lowest lamp setting for SDR, and gain a little improved black floor though, but I guess that´s easy for you to test once you´ve got the unit installed.

@Lygen, you stated you went with a JVC X Series. I could get a used JVC DLA-X750R. What are your thoughts on that projector with the Dreeamsceen V6? I can alter my throw distance based on light output.

Lygren 11-26-2019 12:12 PM

I would personally prefer at least the x5000/7000 and up as the x750 is quite low on light output..

You might be happy with the Epson as well, the HDR handling and overall image parameters is very nice on that model, and a very slight visible pixel grid might be worth it due to all those pros...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kis3dhc 12-22-2019 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same interest as the OP’s idea to go from Non-At to AT Scope screen but my projector is a 7yrs. Old Epson Pro-6010 with Panamorph Phoenix Lens as I don’t’ like zooming, for the Lens will allow more lumens on the screen when watching movies particularly the 3D which I enjoy the most.

Before I would upgrade the projector or other equipment to 4K, I think the most important thing I would like to change first is the screen which is going to be my biggest concern for any images going to be projected on it.
I’ve been watching my PVC 117" 2.40:1 scope screen with DIY curved frame for nearly as long as I own the 6010.
The screen is suspended freely with eyelets and high strength rubber bands that keep it perfectly flat with the frame.
(See attach Thumbnails)

Only defect of the screen yields is the sparkle which view at close distance but not with 3D movies as the active glasses likely act like a filter. However my seating is about 13 feet away so there’s no issues here but if I want to add another front row for 4K viewing in the future that screen is going to be a pain to watch.
So this time I eager to choose a new screen with material that can last beyond 4k or like DreamScreen advertises that’s good to 8k+, such that I ordered a sample and try it out.

It took almost a month time to receive that sample from Norway and my order was the mid size A4 about 9”x13”.
It came in an envelope and folded with a big wrinkle right in the middle, at first it felt like heavy fabric not vinyl for sure and colour just like the previous post with image compare it to the sheet of paper.

Right away I put it under my desk lamp and with a Led flashlight shines directly in every angles and very satisfy that I cannot see any sparkle in that close up view. But if I shoot the light from that shiny back black layer, the sparkles will appear on the front layer, that quite convince me the back layer can reflect light to the first layer of fabric.
Next I put the fabric over one of my desktop speakers and use a fixed distant SPL meter to check the db lost and result hardly show any variation from left speaker to right one.

My second thought is that wrinkle that come with it may not be repairable like PVC by stretching, for that mishap can happen again during the installation with a big sheet of fabric which I deeply concern , so I try to press it down firmly and pull it hard on both ends and that wrinkle resist to go away for that fabric is not easy to be stretched at all but that dose not stop me to try using an clothe iron with steam on medium heat, slowly by ironing the black side till that wrinkle is gone completely and with no obvious marking can be found by shinning the light on the lighter colour side.
That’s good news, in case I’ve to fold it and transport to other location, I won’t have to worry the wrinkle at all.

Installing the eyelets to this fabric is a lot easier than the thin Vinyl material ,by which I have to double the edges for a stronger support and this time just cut to the size, pierce small holes and drive the eyelets on and hang it.
For screen test ,I hang the sample with a white thread and flush mount to the current screen and then move it to different spots when I watch the movies . The images that show on the sample do obviously stand out.

A close look the sharpness does increase and colour looks a bit more vivid and for 3D has no impact due the sample size.
I’m quite convincing now that this Screen fabric definitely will be the right choice for converting to AT viewing .

Question is, whom should I order from ?
Attachment 2657630