Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 with Epson 5050UB Seating Distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 with Epson 5050UB Seating Distance

I have gone back and forth about an AT screen vs a non-AT screen and I think I have decided on an AT screen. I am in the early stages of design for my theater, but the room is 16.5 ft wide by 20 ft deep by 8.5 ft high and will be completely light controlled. I am planning on a screen size of approximately 109 inches wide by 49 inches high (2.35:1 AR). I am also planning to light it up with the Epson 5050UB. The first row of seats would be approximately 8.5 ft from the screen with the second row at around 14 ft on a 12 inch riser. With that information, I am also planning to use Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 for the screen material.

Here is my main question: Does that seem like an ideal set up for that material or will the front row possibly notice the weave in the material?

SDK Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 810
[quote=alangsk;58871206]I have gone back and forth about an AT screen vs a non-AT screen and I think I have decided on an AT screen. I am in the early stages of design for my theater, but the room is 16.5 ft wide by 20 ft deep by 8.5 ft high and will be completely light controlled. I am planning on a screen size of approximately 109 inches wide by 49 inches high (2.35:1 AR). I am also planning to light it up with the Epson 5050UB. The first row of seats would be approximately 8.5 ft from the screen with the second row at around 14 ft on a 12 inch riser. With that information, I am also planning to use Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 for the screen material.

Here is my main question: Does that seem like an ideal set up for that material or will the front row possibly notice the weave in the material?[/quote @Lygren . Any way you could possibly way in on this one. I know your knowledge and expertise will be far more valuable than most anyone regarding this topic. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
I just took this picture with a sheet of white paper and a Stewart Firehawk in the background. It is about a foot away.

The real question is can you see the weave with the pj on and not in sunlight? I would highly doubt it. IIRC Mike Garret and I were talking to Chris at his Seymour booth and we could hardly see any weave right near the screen with the pj on. The V6 will be roughly the same.

The best thing to do is grab a sample from Craig Peer or Mike Garrett and test yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191125_132415.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2645524  

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I just took this picture with a sheet of white paper and a Stewart Firehawk in the background. It is about a foot away.

The real question is can you see the weave with the pj on and not in sunlight? I would highly doubt it. IIRC Mike Garret and I were talking to Chris at his Seymour booth and we could hardly see any weave right near the screen with the pj on. The V6 will be roughly the same.

The best thing to do is grab a sample from Craig Peer or Mike Garrett and test yourself.
@alangsk , thanks for considering the v6 for your project. The weave will not be visible from 8,5ft for sure, but the Epson 5050, although a great projector, might require a bit more of a distance to avoid the LCD raster becoming somewhat visible. I have tested the 5050 in my own cinema some months ago, and my first row is also about 8-9ft from the screen. In certain bright material I could slightly make out the pixel grid from the Epson. I have now altered to a JVC X-series projector, and although I miss the excellent HDR performance and light output of the Epson the JVC is not showing any grid, even with e-shift turned off.

So; for the v6 screen fabric - no problem whatsoever at that seating distance - for the Epson - I would advice you test it and have a return option if you´re not happy with the results. Please make sure you turn on the e-shift BTW, although it should be on by default.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #5 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
@alangsk , thanks for considering the v6 for your project. The weave will not be visible from 8,5ft for sure, but the Epson 5050, although a great projector, might require a bit more of a distance to avoid the LCD raster becoming somewhat visible. I have tested the 5050 in my own cinema some months ago, and my first row is also about 8-9ft from the screen. In certain bright material I could slightly make out the pixel grid from the Epson. I have now altered to a JVC X-series projector, and although I miss the excellent HDR performance and light output of the Epson the JVC is not showing any grid, even with e-shift turned off.

So; for the v6 screen fabric - no problem whatsoever at that seating distance - for the Epson - I would advice you test it and have a return option if you´re not happy with the results. Please make sure you turn on the e-shift BTW, although it should be on by default.
Hey @Lygren , thank you for the feedback! Bear with me as I am learning all of this. So, using the calculator on projector central for the Epson 5050UB and taking some measurements in the room, I believe I can go with a shelf system in the back of the room that can be recessed into the back wall and I can get a throw distance of close to 19 ft 5 inches. Based on the attached graphic that could produce fl of 36 on a screen with 0.8 gain. I believe I should be able to turn down the light output to bring the fl down to a more acceptable level for a dark room. Does that seem correct? Would that help hide the pixel grid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson5050_Throw_Calc.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2645584  

SDK Theater
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 03:10 AM

The fL would not influence the pixel grid visibility a whole lot, and for the 5050 I always found the "middle" light output setting to be a good one for most content (the 5050 has three light output settings). You could probably use the lowest lamp setting for SDR, and gain a little improved black floor though, but I guess that´s easy for you to test once you´ve got the unit installed.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
The fL would not influence the pixel grid visibility a whole lot, and for the 5050 I always found the "middle" light output setting to be a good one for most content (the 5050 has three light output settings). You could probably use the lowest lamp setting for SDR, and gain a little improved black floor though, but I guess that´s easy for you to test once you´ve got the unit installed.
@Lygen, you stated you went with a JVC X Series. I could get a used JVC DLA-X750R. What are your thoughts on that projector with the Dreeamsceen V6? I can alter my throw distance based on light output.

SDK Theater
post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 PM

I would personally prefer at least the x5000/7000 and up as the x750 is quite low on light output..

You might be happy with the Epson as well, the HDR handling and overall image parameters is very nice on that model, and a very slight visible pixel grid might be worth it due to all those pros...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page