Larger screen than projector can throw - crazy idea? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-28-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Larger screen than projector can throw - crazy idea?

I have been pondering on what screen to go with for the past several months, and finally just need to pull the trigger!

Ideally, I wanted to go with a fixed 115" diagonal 16:9 screen due to some amazing IMAX 3D blu-rays, movies like Avatar etc. and that's the maximum 16:9 image that my projector can throw.
My projector is JVC RS1000. Using its Zoom aspect ratio feature which uses full 17:9 sensor, I can throw a wider image that can accommodate up to 116" 2.35 Cinemascope or 123" 16:9 with 2 inches unused top and bottom.

I narrowed down my choices to Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve and EluneVision Reference 4k due to budget and primary use for watching movies in the dark.
Runner up screens where from Seymour as they can make 115" screen. However, Glacier White sample appears dimmer in 3D when compared to Cima Neve and Seymour Matinee Wide samples. I decided against Matinee Wide due to dimmer 2D image in a dark. With 4k HDR, I imagine I want the brightest image I can get.

So here are my options
  1. 123" 16:9 Cima - I can throw largest images possible, be it 2:35 or 16:9 material, 2D or 3D. In Native or Zoom. However, I will always have unused area on the screen especially in 3D where Zoom function doesn't work. Will that be too distracting when watching movies in dark? I can eventually put curtains around screen to mask it, but of course it's never going to be as straight and perfect as an actual black velvet screen frame.
  2. 110" 16:9 Cima - I can fill the whole screen in either 2D or 3D. Size is not ideal, as in my tests projecting on wall, 115" diagonal image gives a drastically more immerse experience over 110" screen. Hard to believe that 5 inches diagonal can make such a difference!
  3. 115" 2.35 Ratio Cima - My projector can completely fill the screen in 2D 2.35 material, but not in 3D. 16:9 image is only 96" diagonal max, even if I overshoot top and bottom borders. As my brother looked at 16:9 material at that size, he said: You might as well get a TV!
  4. 115 EluneVision - Perfect fit in my room for 2D and 3D 16:9 material, full width utilized with 2.35" material. The negatives being EluneVision post sale reputation is poor, I'm sure their frame will be inferior to Cima and finally, unlike Neve 1.2 gain, Reference 4k is 1.0 gain and my room is not a bat cave (nor do I want it to be).

What would you guys do in my situation? Get SilverTicket 120" and save pennies for custom Stewart screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've personally gone for a bigger screen and my logic is that I'll "grow into the screen" as I move house and hopefully get richer.

My idea is that in life my Home Cinema room will always be growing lol. We'll see what happens.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7243 Post(s)
Liked: 8673
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
I have been pondering on what screen to go with for the past several months, and finally just need to pull the trigger!

Ideally, I wanted to go with a fixed 115" diagonal 16:9 screen due to some amazing IMAX 3D blu-rays, movies like Avatar etc. and that's the maximum 16:9 image that my projector can throw.
My projector is JVC RS1000. Using its Zoom aspect ratio feature which uses full 17:9 sensor, I can throw a wider image that can accommodate up to 116" 2.35 Cinemascope or 123" 16:9 with 2 inches unused top and bottom.

I narrowed down my choices to Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve and EluneVision Reference 4k due to budget and primary use for watching movies in the dark.
Runner up screens where from Seymour as they can make 115" screen. However, Glacier White sample appears dimmer in 3D when compared to Cima Neve and Seymour Matinee Wide samples. I decided against Matinee Wide due to dimmer 2D image in a dark. With 4k HDR, I imagine I want the brightest image I can get.

So here are my options
  1. 123" 16:9 Cima - I can throw largest images possible, be it 2:35 or 16:9 material, 2D or 3D. In Native or Zoom. However, I will always have unused area on the screen especially in 3D where Zoom function doesn't work. Will that be too distracting when watching movies in dark? I can eventually put curtains around screen to mask it, but of course it's never going to be as straight and perfect as an actual black velvet screen frame.
  2. 110" 16:9 Cima - I can fill the whole screen in either 2D or 3D. Size is not ideal, as in my tests projecting on wall, 115" diagonal image gives a drastically more immerse experience over 110" screen. Hard to believe that 5 inches diagonal can make such a difference!
  3. 115" 2.35 Ratio Cima - My projector can completely fill the screen in 2D 2.35 material, but not in 3D. 16:9 image is only 96" diagonal max, even if I overshoot top and bottom borders. As my brother looked at 16:9 material at that size, he said: You might as well get a TV!
  4. 115 EluneVision - Perfect fit in my room for 2D and 3D 16:9 material, full width utilized with 2.35" material. The negatives being EluneVision post sale reputation is poor, I'm sure their frame will be inferior to Cima and finally, unlike Neve 1.2 gain, Reference 4k is 1.0 gain and my room is not a bat cave (nor do I want it to be).

What would you guys do in my situation? Get SilverTicket 120" and save pennies for custom Stewart screen?
That's one idea - a custom StudioTek 130 - maybe 2.00:1 aspect ratio. Too bad you can't squeeze out more throw distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page