ALR Screens with a short throw ratio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ALR Screens with a short throw ratio

so I have a short throw ratio of 1.4x.
i have a hw40es.

I have an ALR screen (draper react 3) for an amazing price (basically 66% off so I had to bite).

Now my fear is issues due to short throw ratio. I can't do anything about that but does the projector height affect this? I haven't mounted my PJ yet but will the height its mounted at relative to the screen change anything? Thank you.
aoaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
so I have a short throw ratio of 1.4x.

i have a hw40es.



I have an ALR screen (draper react 3) for an amazing price (basically 66% off so I had to bite).



Now my fear is issues due to short throw ratio. I can't do anything about that but does the projector height affect this? I haven't mounted my PJ yet but will the height its mounted at relative to the screen change anything? Thank you.
The center of the lens, in the case of the Sony HW40ES can be up to 8 inches above the top of the screen surface, 8 inches below the bottom of the screen surface, or anywhere in between.  Of course if you need to use some horizontal lens shift, it diminishes the amount of vertical shift. The lens shift should not effect screen size. Screen size is affected by throw distance. I know some ALR screens are prone to hotspotting issues when the projector distance from screen is not matched up with the the recommended throw ratio. I think that ratio is 1.8:1 for the Draper React 3. You may want to reach out to Draper to see what they say about your projector placement for your chosen screen size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
The center of the lens, in the case of the Sony HW40ES can be up to 8 inches above the top of the screen surface, 8 inches below the bottom of the screen surface, or anywhere in between.  Of course if you need to use some horizontal lens shift, it diminishes the amount of vertical shift. The lens shift should not effect screen size. Screen size is affected by throw distance. I know some ALR screens are prone to hotspotting issues when the projector distance from screen is not matched up with the the recommended throw ratio. I think that ratio is 1.8:1 for the Draper React 3. You may want to reach out to Draper to see what they say about your projector placement for your chosen screen size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sadly I can't increase the distance from the PJ to the screen and as I've already bought it, its just going to be a trial and error basis.

So the use of horizontal or vertical lens shift does not affect the ALR screens?
aoaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Sadly I can't increase the distance from the PJ to the screen and as I've already bought it, its just going to be a trial and error basis.



So the use of horizontal or vertical lens shift does not affect the ALR screens?
It will be trial and error as you stated, since you are not using the recommended guidelines for the screen. It is possible that hotspotting could be exacerbated by using lens shift since ideally a projector would be dead center of the screen. Obviously that is not realistic for anyone. Good luck. I do hope it works our for you and you are happy with the image quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
It will be trial and error as you stated, since you are not using the recommended guidelines for the screen. It is possible that hotspotting could be exacerbated by using lens shift since ideally a projector would be dead center of the screen. Obviously that is not realistic for anyone. Good luck. I do hope it works our for you and you are happy with the image quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you. At the moment I'm projecting onto a beiege wall so hopefully it'll be an improvement.
aoaaron is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
so I have a short throw ratio of 1.4x.
i have a hw40es.

I have an ALR screen (draper react 3) for an amazing price (basically 66% off so I had to bite).

Now my fear is issues due to short throw ratio. I can't do anything about that but does the projector height affect this? I haven't mounted my PJ yet but will the height its mounted at relative to the screen change anything? Thank you.
Best to read about it before making purchases.

It's unclear what the minimum recommended throw ratio is for that fabric.
If there are any artifacts like hotspot and sparkle, a paint mix would be the best solution.



https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...g-screens-work

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ection-screens
noob00224 is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
so I have a short throw ratio of 1.4x.
i have a hw40es.

I have an ALR screen (draper react 3) for an amazing price (basically 66% off so I had to bite).

Now my fear is issues due to short throw ratio. I can't do anything about that but does the projector height affect this? I haven't mounted my PJ yet but will the height its mounted at relative to the screen change anything? Thank you.
Best to read about it before making purchases.

It's unclear what the minimum recommended throw ratio is for that fabric.
If there are any artifacts like hotspot and sparkle, a paint mix would be the best solution.



https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...g-screens-work

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ection-screens

Sadly the deal was too good for me to do research if someone else took the screen.

Then I’d have no option but to get a normal screen.

I got basically 66% to 75% off.

From that article it seems like mount it from the highest point to maximise the angle
aoaaron is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Sadly the deal was too good for me to do research if someone else took the screen.

Then I’d have no option but to get a normal screen.

I got basically 66% to 75% off.

From that article it seems like mount it from the highest point to maximise the angle

The literature says to mount the projector in such a way that the reflecting light beam hits the eye sight of the viewer.

In real life it may be different.
Experiment with the projector on a table or move the screen up and down.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off