Recommendations requested for screen size/type/aspect ratio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Recommendations requested for screen size/type/aspect ratio

After years of building/using HTPCs on larger and larger LCD TVs, I am finally getting ready to set up my first Home Theater room. I'm hoping you can offer some recommendations on screen size, aspect ratio, and brand based on my room limitations and expected use case.

Room Dimensions: My room is 16ft by 19ft with 8ft ceiling. The screen will be mounted on a 16ft wall. There are 2 windows on 1 of the 19ft side walls, that will have black out curtains. There is a doorway on the other 19ft side wall, towards the very back of the room, that cannot be closed off and will let in a minimal amount of light.

Projector: I'll be using a JVC NX7 projector. (can't wait for it to be delivered this week!) I plan to ceiling mount the projector.

Seating: I will have a single row of seating placed 11.5ft from the screen.

Uses: I will use the theater exclusively for movie content. I have 100+ UHD Blurays (4K), 750+ Blurays (1080P), and about 20 DVDs (480P); All of these files will be played uncompressed from a HTPC, and upscaled by madVR. I will also occasionally stream movies from Netflix/Amazon/etc via a Nvidia Shield Pro. I do not plan on using the Home Theater for other uses. (no regular TV, no gaming, etc)

Can you please help give me some recommendations on 1) Screen Size, 2) Aspect Ratio (16x9 vs 2.35:1), and 3) Screen Brand/Model (fixed/wall mounted)?

Thanks!

Last edited by ayeroff; 12-02-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
After years of building/using HTPCs on larger and larger LCD TVs, I am finally getting ready to set up my first Home Theater room. I'm hoping you can offer some recommendations on screen size, aspect ratio, and brand based on my room limitations and expected use case.

Room Dimensions: My room is 16ft by 19ft with 8ft ceiling. The screen will be mounted on a 16ft wall. There are 2 windows on 1 of the 19ft side walls, that will have black out curtains. There is a doorway on the other 19ft side wall, towards the very back of the room, that cannot be closed off and will let in a minimal amount of light.

Projector: I'll be using a JVC NX7 projector. (can't wait for it to be delivered this week!) I plan to ceiling mount the projector.

Uses: I will use the theater exclusively for movie content. I have 100+ UHD Blurays (4K), 750+ Blurays (1080P), and about 20 DVDs (480P); All of these files will be played uncompressed from a HTPC, and upscaled by madVR. I will also occasionally stream movies from Netflix/Amazon/etc via a Nvidia Shield Pro. I do not plan on using the Home Theater for other uses. (no regular TV, no gaming, etc)

Can you please help give me some recommendations on 1) Screen Size, 2) Aspect Ratio (16x9 vs 2.35:1), and 3) Screen Brand/Model (fixed/wall mounted)?

Thanks!
For dimension calculations:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC...ulator-pro.htm

To take advantage of the black level and contrast the NX7 is capable of, not only all sources of light must be eliminatet, but also wall reflections.
Demonstration:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

A detailed article:
https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/

In this thread it's discussed how to achieve this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...image-231.html

Brand wise, a white screen from Silver Ticket or Elite would do fine. Fixed, mounted on the wall.
The funds spent on a better screen could be spent on something else (in the theater). Unless there is nothing else to spend it on.

Are there speakers behind the screen? If yes an Acoustic Transparent screen would be required.

Regarding screen size, it's very recommended to use the projector for a few weeks on a wall or some kind of surface to get an idea of what you'd like. You don't want to get a screen only to find out it's not the right size.

This post from a similar thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58900686

21m 44s:

From this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ed-angles.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
In surveys here (AVS) it seems that 10" to 12" of diagonal per foot of viewing distance is almost always the preferred screen size.

Yeah, some like it larger (a lot) some like it smaller, but not many do.

I know I like about 10" per foot of viewing distance myself. I'm sure this thread will have a bunch of others chiming in with their screen size and viewing distance. Especially those who enjoy their 13"+ diagonal for each foot of viewing distance.

While I think you did emphasize 'personal preference', it would have been good if you recommended that people buy a projector first, set it up on a coffee table, and actually watch at a few different sizes before buying a screen. That's always a good rule for so many. This way they can decide on their personally preferred screen size before investing in a screen. While I love my 16' to 161", others may want to be 18 or 19 feet back and others may want the same screen from 12' away. Try before you buy should always be the direction taken.

Last edited by noob00224; 12-02-2019 at 06:41 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7243 Post(s)
Liked: 8673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post

Thanks!
Your dimensions / layout are similar to my theater. Your throw distance will limit your screen size.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

You can do a 10' wide screen - either 16:9 or 2.35:1. As for the doorway in back, put a black velvet drape over that doorway that you can close when watching movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks for the info. I test fit some blackout curtains in the door and windows. Was nearly pitch black in the evening, and pretty well controlled, though not absolutely perfect, during the day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 579
If you have never seen front projection before the best possible advice is to use the wall or something temporary for a screen for at least few weeks to see what works for you. Everyone else's opinions and industry standards are worthless if they don't fit what you like as your the only one you have to please.
Dave in Green likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page