Adjustments for a BENQ W1700M pj on a painted grey screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Adjustments for a BENQ W1700M pj on a painted grey screen?

Hi guys... relatively new in all this. This year I bought the new version of the BenQ W1700/HT2550 which has just an “M” at the end. It claims manage 100% of the REC709 gamut.

Well.. Ive loved the colors and resolution, specially in HDR mode. Recently I painted my 120” with not so dark-not so light-grey and love the better illusion of contrast now, very much.

But comparing with how colors looked when the screen was white, I of course noticed differences, and using a calibrations disc I could compensate brightness and contrast, but I havent been able to overcome color. Colors look less warm, and I tried changing color temperature from normal to warm but it didnt compensate nearly enough, and made the whites too yellow. I’m convinced its has to do with the temperature, gain and all that but my calibration disc recommends not touching any of that in HDR mode (made for tvs more than projectors of course) so it doesn’t give me many options.

Any tips from those of you who have had this kind of experiences with a gray screen? I just want to bring colors as close as possible to how they looked in a white screen.

Thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
How did you come up with the shade of gray you used. Many over the counter gray paints have a cooler color temp as a true neutral gray paint is not a very pretty color.

You need to have a paint that flat to nearly flat and a mixture that is color neutral so it wont push warm or cold. It is always better to start with a neutral surface and then adjust than trying to compensate at the projector.

There is a DIY screen forum that is a sub forum of this one and there are many simple neutral gray mixes there as well as a host of experts to help you.

Bud
post #3 of 3 Old 12-11-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3123
As @bud16415 notes, a true neutral grey paint will not change the color balance from what you get with a true neutral white. The only effect of going from true neutral white to true neutral grey should be that everything in the image would be a little darker. With a non-neutral grey paint you would need sophisticated color measuring equipment like that used by professional calibrators to dial the projector colors back in. Alternatively you could source a true neutral grey paint and repaint the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page