Expecting screen delivery, do you open it up in front of shipper? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Expecting screen delivery, do you open it up in front of shipper?

A kind of weird question, but I've seen someone recommending to inspect the screen with the delivery man, and if they spot anything wrong do not accept and sign...
I'm wondering if this is common? I'm expecting a shipment this week, and I feel really weird about doing it in front of delivery man...

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
A kind of weird question, but I've seen someone recommending to inspect the screen with the delivery man, and if they spot anything wrong do not accept and sign...

I'm wondering if this is common? I'm expecting a shipment this week, and I feel really weird about doing it in front of delivery man...

What are your thoughts?
If the outside box has clear damage then yes by all means open with delivery person. If no visible damage on the shipping container then no. All you are doing is trying to assign blame for a damaged screen which is perfectly understandable if the shipper is the one who caused the damage. If no damage to the shipping container then if the screen is damaged it would really be the manufacturer's responsibility to replace the screen. Most shipping companies will not wait around for you to examine the contents of the delivery unless there are signs of damage on the shipping container.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5710 Post(s)
Liked: 3773
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
A shipper will require you to inspect the delivery without opening it and either sign and take possession of it or refuse it. You don't get to open it and decide after what you're going to do. They're busy and won't wait around. If you give them a hard time, they may remember you on future deliveries. Now-a-days, you want your USPS, Fedex, UPS delivery driver to be your friend not your enemy.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great Tip, only investigate when there's damage to the external box, thank you!!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5710 Post(s)
Liked: 3773
Quote:
Great Tip, only investigate when there's damage to the external box, thank you!!
Even if there's damage on the box they're not letting you open it while they wait there. They aren't taking an open box back with them. You will have the option to note the damage to the box and take delivery or note the damage on the box and refuse delivery.

If your box is damaged and you suspect there's damage to the item, I would take a photo, sign for the package and ask the driver to acknowledge that there's damage to the box. With that, if there is damage, the shipper can file a claim (as the receiver, you can't even file a claim the shipper has to do it).

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 986
[quote=markmon1;58934172]Even if there's damage on the box they're not letting you open it while they wait there. They aren't taking an open box back with them. You will have the option to note the damage to the box and take delivery or note the damage on the box and refuse delivery.

If your box is damaged and you suspect there's damage to the item, I would take a photo, sign for the package and ask the driver to acknowledge that there's damage to the box. With that, if there is damage, the shipper can file a claim (as the receiver, you can't even file a claim the shipper has to do it).[/quote @markmon1 is speaking the truth for almost all situations involving items being delivered to you. Depending upon your relationship with your delivery driver, they most likely will not have the time to let you open the box and inspect the contents.

I do provide beverages and snacks all year long to my drivers so they will give me ten minutes to inspect if there is damage to the box. They have packaging tape in the truck to reseal any open items that are refused. You could also go buy your own tape to reseal the package.

Honestly 90% of the time even when the box is damaged the contents are fine when it comes to non electrical items. Electrical items are much more sensitive to jostling so when the box shows damage it increases the likelihood that the item is damaged as well. I hope all goes well for your screen delivery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page