Unusual setup recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unusual setup recommendations

Got the go-ahead to build my first home theater. We are adding on to our house and so the room will be a combination HT, exercise room, VR use, and occasionally guest bedroom. Some ambient light.

The limitations I’m left with make it difficult to find the right projector/screen combo. Wanting high brightness with colors that pop (though color accuracy is less important). The room is 17’ wall to wall, and the screen will need to drop down in front of a (blackout shade equipped) window. Main viewing will be on a couch with viewer’s head 14’ from the screen.

So far, so good.

The limitations I’m working under:
- I will have my bike trainer often in the middle of the room; I use Zwift, so will be using the screen while riding. Can’t block the projection while on the bike. Also will have VR going at times with screen on, again can’t block the projector if someone is in the middle of the room.
- Floor projection (essentially, all UST projectors) are a no go per my wife
- will need an electric drop down screen
- would like ALR screen if at all possible
- would like a reasonably wide viewing cone without significant hotspots, including thinking about kids sitting on the floor in front of the couch
- Thought about it and really want 16:9 screen at 150” diagonal. I know, overall big for the viewing distance even by IMAX standards, but that’s what I like
- ceiling height is 8’
- wanting a bright, 4K, HDR capable projector

After reading through this forum and many others, the only reasonable option seems to be the Benq LK953ST. Would be mounted just under 9’ back from screen on the ceiling. 5000 lumens, reasonable contrast, good color, 4K HDR (though not 100% of color gamut in HDR)

The screen is harder. Looking most at Screen Innovations 0.8 Slate, which should improve contrast/black levels a bit. Recs call for throw length 1.5 times screen width, though; my throw length will be just under the width of the screen.
One sales rep felt that screen would still work well, though Screen Innovations themselves seemed less enthused about that combination. They also make a roll- down ALR ultra short throw screen, but not in a 150in diagonal size.

Thought about UST projector that is ceiling mounted, but limited by screen choices.

Anyone with any ideas? Thinking about waiting until CES in Jan to see what is on the horizon...

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 280
@[email protected]

A screen size should not be picked until the projector has been used for some time. Try some kind of projection surface, even a fabric sheet.
Although that size is not unusual.

It would be very surprising if the Slate 0.8, or any fabric with anything over low/modest ALR properties would not have serious visual artifacts at that throw range.

Projectors and ambient light are a difficult combination.

How much light will there be in the room, and from what source?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 596
You want the Holy Grail everyone wants a Theater like picture in a room that doesn't look like a theater unfortunately at the moment physics won't allow it at a reasonable cost (LED screen wall or roll-able OLED). A UST with a floor rising ALR screen is by far the best you can do in your situation. Show the wife some YouTube videos of them in action and try to convince her as nothing else will work nearly as well.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Appreciate the responses so far - I’ll look again at some of the UST electric floor screens, though I don’t think I’ll be able to convince her; good point about living with the screen size first, but I don’t want to purchase the projector only to find out that I can’t find a screen good enough for the room. Shipping to and from AK will be pretty expensive even if I have an option to send back a projector.

As far as ambient light, I can control most of it with shades but it will filter down the stairs from an upstairs room. May be able to fully control with a curtain but wife does not like that idea much.
Mother Nature takes care of ambient light this time of year, but summer viewing will be tricky (should probably be outside in Alaskan summers anyway, I suppose).

I had thought about a reverse-wound UST ALR screen (so it would work with a ceiling mounted UST projector) but only found SI had a good UST ALR screen that rolls up. Anyone know of a similar type screen from other manufacturers?

Ryan
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Appreciate the responses so far - I’ll look again at some of the UST electric floor screens, though I don’t think I’ll be able to convince her; good point about living with the screen size first, but I don’t want to purchase the projector only to find out that I can’t find a screen good enough for the room. Shipping to and from AK will be pretty expensive even if I have an option to send back a projector.

As far as ambient light, I can control most of it with shades but it will filter down the stairs from an upstairs room. May be able to fully control with a curtain but wife does not like that idea much.
Mother Nature takes care of ambient light this time of year, but summer viewing will be tricky (should probably be outside in Alaskan summers anyway, I suppose).

I had thought about a reverse-wound UST ALR screen (so it would work with a ceiling mounted UST projector) but only found SI had a good UST ALR screen that rolls up. Anyone know of a similar type screen from other manufacturers?

Ryan
If the screen is fixed then more UST ALR's would be available.

The amount of wash out on the screen will depend on how much light is in the room.
Placing lights in the viewing area and not the screen area, making sure light sources don not hit the screen directly, dimming the lights, will make this kind of setup plausible.

Reducing the reflections from the walls will also help with wash out.

A non ALR grey screen will help, but only by so much.

One option would be to get a white screen and paint it with a special mix that has ALR properties:
Explained in detail here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58790176

The same mix for a UST projector:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...rt-temper.html

This thread discusses the use of projector in ambient light. At the bottom of the page, there are four examples of how light will affect an ALR screen with a white paper attached. The grey screen will be more similar to the paper than the ALR screen. Links in the first post with painted screens and more examples with the four scenarios.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ent-light.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page