Unusual setup recommendations
Got the go-ahead to build my first home theater. We are adding on to our house and so the room will be a combination HT, exercise room, VR use, and occasionally guest bedroom. Some ambient light.
The limitations I’m left with make it difficult to find the right projector/screen combo. Wanting high brightness with colors that pop (though color accuracy is less important). The room is 17’ wall to wall, and the screen will need to drop down in front of a (blackout shade equipped) window. Main viewing will be on a couch with viewer’s head 14’ from the screen.
So far, so good.
The limitations I’m working under:
- I will have my bike trainer often in the middle of the room; I use Zwift, so will be using the screen while riding. Can’t block the projection while on the bike. Also will have VR going at times with screen on, again can’t block the projector if someone is in the middle of the room.
- Floor projection (essentially, all UST projectors) are a no go per my wife
- will need an electric drop down screen
- would like ALR screen if at all possible
- would like a reasonably wide viewing cone without significant hotspots, including thinking about kids sitting on the floor in front of the couch
- Thought about it and really want 16:9 screen at 150” diagonal. I know, overall big for the viewing distance even by IMAX standards, but that’s what I like
- ceiling height is 8’
- wanting a bright, 4K, HDR capable projector
After reading through this forum and many others, the only reasonable option seems to be the Benq LK953ST. Would be mounted just under 9’ back from screen on the ceiling. 5000 lumens, reasonable contrast, good color, 4K HDR (though not 100% of color gamut in HDR)
The screen is harder. Looking most at Screen Innovations 0.8 Slate, which should improve contrast/black levels a bit. Recs call for throw length 1.5 times screen width, though; my throw length will be just under the width of the screen.
One sales rep felt that screen would still work well, though Screen Innovations themselves seemed less enthused about that combination. They also make a roll- down ALR ultra short throw screen, but not in a 150in diagonal size.
Thought about UST projector that is ceiling mounted, but limited by screen choices.
Anyone with any ideas? Thinking about waiting until CES in Jan to see what is on the horizon...