Confirm Your Elite Screens Order Upfront - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Confirm Your Elite Screens Order Upfront

This is a PSA, not a slam or hit job.

Don't make the same mistake that I did and presume that all Elite Screens screens now shipping are all the "new" spring tensioned design.

I ordered a 120" Zero Edge Aeon CLR UST screen several weeks ago from one of their authorized dealers and the screen was drop-shipped directly from ES. It was going to be a few weeks before I could get it installed and wasn't taking it to my house so it wasn't one more thing in the way for Thanksgiving, so I broke one of my cardinal rules and did not open the box to check everything out as soon as it came in. So today when my installers opened it up to assemble it, it was not the new spring tensioned design, but the old velcro system. Needles to say, I was not happy. I called ES and they were very polite and the person I spoke with seemed kind of surprised, as well, that it was the old velcro design. I was hoping for a (relatively) simple exchange, but after checking their warehouses and stock, they did not have a single one to exchange with me. I even asked about stock that their dealers may have and was told that the entire US is sold out, currently. And the real kick, they will not have any again until mid to late February.

I feel like some blame is on my shoulders, because something told me to call and ask to make sure that I was being sent the spring tensioned version and if I had opened the box when it came in several weeks ago, then they may have had stock to make the exchange.

Moving forward, I was told that the new stock will all be the spring tensioned system as they finish phasing out the velcro system.

Unfortunately for me, it leaves me in a bad position, because I've had the brand new LG HU85 for several weeks and now it's going to probably be 2 1/2 to 3 more months before I can use it, because of this. I've initiated a return request for this screen with the dealer, the screen I want/thought I was getting won't be available until well into next year and my dealer that I bought my projector from and was going to do the entire install(which doesn't carry ES, but does carry their sister brand EPV) can't get my into anything equivalent for even double the cost of the ES Screen. They said it would be at least $2900 for the EPV version. Even my installer said he wouldn't buy the EPV screen, considering what the ES costs and it's the same thing.

So, the moral of the story: ask your dealer (or ES) to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt which screen you are getting, so you don't end up with a bad surprise, like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, that's good to know. I've been emailing them asking for confirmation that the 120 CLR is now with spring tension. The reply was that they no longer make them with velcro, which technically doesn't address existing stock. I haven't decided on them, Alibaba sellers, etc. But I can cross them out since I need to order something soon in December. Any dealer I've seen that carriers it says 5-7 days special order. Which tells me they all drop ship from ES. So if ES is saying they have no more, then no matter where you order from, they'll most likely ship their existing old stock.

Last edited by aronsonstack; 12-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Run&Gun, if you are to wait, it might be a good idea to confirm with them if prices will remain the same. This now makes me wonder if the price drop was to get rid of the velcro inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post
Wow, that's good to know. I've been emailing them asking for confirmation that the 120 CLR is now with spring tension. The reply was that they no longer make them with velcro, which technically doesn't address existing stock. I haven't decided on them, Alibaba sellers, etc. But I can cross them out since I need to order something soon in December.
Yeah. I was told that moving forward, all new stock would be the spring tensioned versions. I'm guessing they have had a mix of old and new in-stock and it was bad luck on my part that that's what they sent me(or I should have specifically asked to make sure), because I've seen reviews from a few months ago and it was the spring design. I just presumed that at this point, they all would have been.

I've got my dealer checking again to see if there is anything that can be done to get me the EPV version for anywhere close to the ballpark of the Elite. Like you, I don't want to wait months for a screen, when I've already had the projector sitting and waiting for a few weeks, already. If they could get me to even within $500-$600 more than the Elite costs and get it now, I would probably take it, considering I've already paid for a projector that I can't use without it and it'd give me two-three months of enjoyment out of it that I'm not going to be able to get, otherwise.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post
Run&Gun, if you are to wait, it might be a good idea to confirm with them if prices will remain the same. This now makes me wonder if the price drop was to get rid of the velcro inventory.
That is a possibility. The gentleman I spoke with alluded to a price drop on the new stock. But that is one of those things that I won't hold my breath on.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
just received my 158" 2.35:1 and it was old stock even when it said version 2 on Amazon. I just called and they are drop shipping hopefully V2.. the one I ordered.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by force10 View Post
just received my 158" 2.35:1 and it was old stock even when it said version 2 on Amazon. I just called and they are drop shipping hopefully V2.. the one I ordered.
At least it looks like they have one to replace yours with. Hopefully you'll be up and running in a few days. Now I'm debating whether to hang onto this old version... Unless my dealer comes through for me with a reasonable solution, I'm either going to have to wait until almost March to have my projector up and running or keep and use the old style screen. I'm not really keen on the old velcro system and neither is my dealer.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
At least it looks like they have one to replace yours with. Hopefully you'll be up and running in a few days. Now I'm debating whether to hang onto this old version... Unless my dealer comes through for me with a reasonable solution, I'm either going to have to wait until almost March to have my projector up and running or keep and use the old style screen. I'm not really keen on the old velcro system and neither is my dealer.
I ordered it from Amazon for this reason.. They looked into it and found Gen2 should've been more then whats posted on Amazon. They still exchanged it out for the same price with 2day drop ship.I also asked Elite that my box was mangled and dropped off with out me signing for it. The box has a big red letters that states "before signing, look at the contents for damage." Elite told me to call amazon and they will take care of it. Then I saw this thread... glad I did.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is the spring tension actually better, I bought the same screen but Velcro about 3 years ago maybe even 4. It works great, no waves or ripples or distortion. Wasn’t even that hard to set up. Hardest part was the dang middle support rod that only fits after 15 minutes of pulling and pushing. Just curios if I’m missing something. As I do plan to upgrade to 135 or larger in the next year or two.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have the velcro version as well. So far it has held up well. It was a bit difficult to set up and I have experience stretching large artist canvases. That said I can understand wanting to get the latest version if that is what you are expecting.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is the spring tension actually better, I bought the same screen but Velcro about 3 years ago maybe even 4. It works great, no waves or ripples or distortion. Wasn’t even that hard to set up. Hardest part was the dang middle support rod that only fits after 15 minutes of pulling and pushing. Just curios if I’m missing something. As I do plan to upgrade to 135 or larger in the next year or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I have the velcro version as well. So far it has held up well. It was a bit difficult to set up and I have experience stretching large artist canvases. That said I can understand wanting to get the latest version if that is what you are expecting.
My understanding is the actual screen material is exactly the same(according to Elite), but from what I have read, the spring system is easier to assemble and less susceptible to ripples or puckering, presumably since the springs would be "self leveling"/"adjusting". And I believe the outer frame/border now assembles into one piece and is held on with springs, instead of just being in separate sections held on with adhesive tape/strips.

After a few days to think about it, I think I'm going to settle and keep the velcro version, otherwise I'll be waiting months for a new one. My projector dealer, who sells Elite's sister brand EPV, couldn't help me, in any meaningful way(not their fault). The best they could do on the EPV version was over double(~2.25x) what the Elite sells for(and that was probably their cost or close to it). And even that is way under the list prices I've been able to suss out on the internet. Does anyone know if there is an actual difference in the EPV version of the screen to justify the price difference? The EPV screen is listed as a different name and the gain is stated as .5 instead of .6, but that could just be conservative speccing since these are aimed at the higher end as "installer only" screens, which is quite possibly the reason for the significant price difference.

Also, is anyone running these Edge Free screens with no frame/border at all and tweaked their set-ups to get the image right to the razors edge so they truly have a borderless screen?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
No frame on mine, love the way it looks without it. Because of the nature of lining everything up I wasn't able to get right up to the razors edge on all sides but it doesn't really matter once the projector is on. A lot of material is not 16:9 anyway so there are blank spaces a lot of the time. I found with my first projector that having a black border was very distracting to me. Ever since then I have been border free.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-15-2019, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear. I think I may try to go truly 'edge free'.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
My understanding is the actual screen material is exactly the same(according to Elite), but from what I have read, the spring system is easier to assemble and less susceptible to ripples or puckering, presumably since the springs would be "self leveling"/"adjusting". And I believe the outer frame/border now assembles into one piece and is held on with springs, instead of just being in separate sections held on with adhesive tape/strips.

After a few days to think about it, I think I'm going to settle and keep the velcro version, otherwise I'll be waiting months for a new one. My projector dealer, who sells Elite's sister brand EPV, couldn't help me, in any meaningful way(not their fault). The best they could do on the EPV version was over double(~2.25x) what the Elite sells for(and that was probably their cost or close to it). And even that is way under the list prices I've been able to suss out on the internet. Does anyone know if there is an actual difference in the EPV version of the screen to justify the price difference? The EPV screen is listed as a different name and the gain is stated as .5 instead of .6, but that could just be conservative speccing since these are aimed at the higher end as "installer only" screens, which is quite possibly the reason for the significant price difference.

Also, is anyone running these Edge Free screens with no frame/border at all and tweaked their set-ups to get the image right to the razors edge so they truly have a borderless screen?

I have mine borderless with a JVC x790r. Even with this high end of a projector and mounting the projector on a shelf to be able to align using the feet and have easy adjustments both physical and using the powered lens I can only get 98 maybe 99% perfect square images. Truthfully unless you really try to look for it, its invisible while watching a movie or tv show in the dark, love how it looks like a portal to another universe. what is noticeable is if the image goes a hair further than the screen then hits a non black/ dark grey wall. so I just have my image ever so slightly smaller than 120 inches. like 119.95.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 AM

On the second screen that came in, it was the same.. I called Elite and asked if 2.35:1 2nd Gen was still velcro. They checked serial numbers and what came in the box. Come to find out at least on my screen , 2ng Gen meant updated screen meatreal with Velcro and the new bezel and not the felt tape.Thought I would pass it on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page