Recomendations for 150 inch 16:9 perforated screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Recomendations for 150 inch 16:9 perforated screen?

In my previous home, I had a Panasonic AE8000U projector and the image was 138 inches wide (160 diagonal) and we sat about 15 feet from the screen. My new home has a room that is 14 feet deep that I would like to so something similar.

The image can be smaller say 150 diagonal since we will be sitting one foot closer. I will be using a BenQ HT3550 projector and watching mostly 3-D films. It's not a bright as the AE8000 so I need a screen with a lot of gain, maybe 1.3? Anyone have any perforated screens at 150 inch diagonal that they can recommend?

Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 7598 Post(s)
Liked: 9361
It's going to be hard to find an AT screen with that much gain. Seymour has the Enlightor Bright material which is rated 1.1 gain.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
In my previous home, I had a Panasonic AE8000U projector and the image was 138 inches wide (160 diagonal) and we sat about 15 feet from the screen. My new home has a room that is 14 feet deep that I would like to so something similar.

The image can be smaller say 150 diagonal since we will be sitting one foot closer. I will be using a BenQ HT3550 projector and watching mostly 3-D films. It's not a bright as the AE8000 so I need a screen with a lot of gain, maybe 1.3? Anyone have any perforated screens at 150 inch diagonal that they can recommend?
You will have to pass on all the excellent woven screens that are out there. Not enough gain.

You have correctly asked about perforated screens, and those can have some more gain. They also are hard on the audio fidelity, but that's the trade off. What is your budget? That will dictate a lot.

The traditional "go to" has been the Stewart Filmscreen micro perf. Severtson is another brand to try. I would get samples from both manufacturers before investing a few thousand dollars in a full screen. Slate has perf screens, but their highest gain is listed as 1.2 so real world is probably not enough for your purposes.

If budget is an issue, I would hunt on ebay for a few months for a Stewart microperf screen with good gain. It will still be spendy, like four figures spendy, but if you are patient you can probably find one at half retail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's about 7k in the UK for a 150" Sterwart micro perf!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Going with the 145 inch Dragonfly UltraAcoustWeave with a 1.0 gain. Should be fine. ProjectorCentral Throw Calculator says its recommended with low light and it will be completely dark.

Cinerama web site:
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Going with the 145 inch Dragonfly UltraAcoustWeave with a 1.0 gain. Should be fine. ProjectorCentral Throw Calculator says its recommended with low light and it will be completely dark.
What do you think of the Dragonfly Ultra Acoustiweave screen? Does it seem like a close to true 1.0 gain, or is that way off?

I've used Seymour in the past, but heard of this one from a dealer I was ordering a JVC from. Price is similar to Seymour, but these also include the black backing by default.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
What do you think of the Dragonfly Ultra Acoustiweave screen? Does it seem like a close to true 1.0 gain, or is that way off?

I've used Seymour in the past, but heard of this one from a dealer I was ordering a JVC from. Price is similar to Seymour, but these also include the black backing by default.
I love it! With the speakers behind the screen it's like being at a movie theatre.

I don't know much about screen gain as in my previous home I projected against a wall and the speakers were below it.

We did use the black backing as you could see the speakers behind the screen without it.

Cinerama web site:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page