Motorised Spandex screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Motorised Spandex screen

Has anyone ever created an AT screen with spandex or similar as a rollup motorised option?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Spandex needs to be stretched across a fixed frame to get it flat. I guess if you could get a heavy enough solid bar and stretch the fabric across the bottom and stretched tight on the roller it might work. You would have to design your own tab tensioned cords on the sides to stretch it horizontally. The solid bar on the bottom would have to be very heavy and strong enough to hold the tension without bending. Interesting experiment. Just some suggestions maybe two 10' x 2" steel electrical conduit and fill the bottom one with sand or even lead shot for weight and use the top one for a roller. Sew some very strong nylon fishing line or thin steel wire into the side of the fabric for tab tension.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2020, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply rekbones.

I have made a 180" cinemscope spandex screen as per forum suggestions.

I have also successfully made a motorised screen using cheap motors on a previous setup. I like your ideas and was thinking along similar lines but wandered if anyone has actually done it before.

My inlaws currently have this setup with a motorised 110" 16x9 screen. Theyd like to get a much larger screen after seeing mine and i got to thinking maybe i could make them one. But it would come down over those focal speakers. I guess it would be easier to move the speakers but i thought id entertain the idea at least.

Im wandering even if the bulk of the screen was made from blind material and i wrapped it in spandex with windows for the speakers? I cant quite figure out how i would hold the sides of the screen in tension. And if the spandex would stretch out of shape or wrinke after being rolled up continually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
@Bruach

As evidenced by your own concerns and considerations...and a few more not mentioned, it is not a viable application.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

@MississippiMan

Thanks mate. I was kinda hoping you'd chime in.

Ive read a lot of forum threads where they have tried but not succeeded.

Do you know what the best non AT material to use is that I can source downunder? Im happy to work on a new motorised screen and move the LR speakers wider and the centre speaker dropped below to the shelf.

Is it possible to get some cheap blind material and paint it?

I'd like to go for a cinemscope 150" and use some masking for 16:9 content. So the screen material will need to have the black border at least top and bottom.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 09:03 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
There are materials that suit the application, but both the size and your location makes considering what is "source-able" on OZ a bit more than problematical.

When you start mentioning "Cheap Blind Material" my head starts to hurt. Just to put that to bed, I seriously doubt your find anything seamless that will be even close to the actualwidth you'd need.

I'm thinking some semi-rigid Screen material sourced from a Chinese Jobber might be your best...if indeed not your only choice.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
There are materials that suit the application, but both the size and your location makes considering what is "source-able" on OZ a bit more than problematical.

When you start mentioning "Cheap Blind Material" my head starts to hurt. Just to put that to bed, I seriously doubt your find anything seamless that will be even close to the actualwidth you'd need.

I'm thinking some semi-rigid Screen material sourced from a Chinese Jobber might be your best...if indeed not your only choice.
Yep good points. Although im happy to import from US at the right price. I did import spandex from US which was still way cheaper than anything i could source here.

Ill have a look on Aliexpress and alibaba etc and see what I can find.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page