Has anyone tried the Carls Nano Acoustic Flexigray screen material? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried the Carls Nano Acoustic Flexigray screen material?

I have a white acoustic screen with the Sony45ES projector. My wife hates the room being completely dark while watching a movie. It gives her a headache by the time the movie is finished.I get the best picture if the room is completely dark and when she turns on the side table lamp, it starts to wash out the color. Just wondering if this nano acoustic flexigray screen would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I raise ambient light with no direct light hitting the screen by having light sources on either side of the screen blocked by shades, same situation need low ambient light for spouses comfort. Granted with a white screen the black level will be worse than a gray screen so you're on the right track. The carls material may help a bit but something more aggressive like a screen innovations slate .8 or .8 acoustically transparent screen will preserve black levels better.

Whats your throw distance, screen size, and is it fixed or retractable?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I raise ambient light with no direct light hitting the screen by having light sources on either side of the screen blocked by shades, same situation need low ambient light for spouses comfort. Granted with a white screen the black level will be worse than a gray screen so you're on the right track. The carls material may help a bit but something more aggressive like a screen innovations slate .8 or .8 acoustically transparent screen will preserve black levels better.

Whats your throw distance, screen size, and is it fixed or retractable?
I have a fixed acoustical transparent 120 inch with the viewing distance of 13 feet away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

At that distance with the more aggressive alr materials you'll probably have some hotspotting/sparkle as a tradeoff for the better blacks.

You should be able to get big sample packs from carls, elite, si, seymour, etc. to give you an idea of how your black level will be with different materials. Though it can be difficult to gauge hotspotting/gain artifacts with a smaller sample.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry the viewing distance is 13', whats the distance of the screen to the projectors lens?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Sorry the viewing distance is 13', whats the distance of the screen to the projectors lens?
14 feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page