Screen recommendations for 7'9" x 14' wall area - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen recommendations for 7'9" x 14' wall area

I'm currently framing out my HT and looking for screen recommendations for roughly 7'9" floor to finished ceiling (soffit) and have about 14' of wall width. Probably an AT screen as I can still build out the area behind where I plan to put the screen while its under construction. The room will be used for ~33% movies ~66% TV (sports) and gaming. See attached for current layout.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-Basement HT Screen Options 1.pdf (22.0 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt_8 View Post
I'm currently framing out my HT and looking for screen recommendations for roughly 7'9" floor to finished ceiling (soffit) and have about 14' of wall width. Probably an AT screen as I can still build out the area behind where I plan to put the screen while its under construction. The room will be used for ~33% movies ~66% TV (sports) and gaming. See attached for current layout.
What is your budget? What are the room conditions? What projector? Any ambient light? What will be your throw distance? Seating distance? Viewing angle? All important questions when considering screen material.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
What is your budget? What are the room conditions? What projector? Any ambient light? What will be your throw distance? Seating distance? Viewing angle? All important questions when considering screen material.

$1000
VPL-VW295ES or 5050UB
controlled lighting
~15' throw
Distance and angles you can see on attached floorplan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt_8 View Post
$1000

VPL-VW295ES or 5050UB

controlled lighting

~15' throw

Distance and angles you can see on attached floorplan
Will your room colors be light or dark? Will you be watching with lights off most of the time? Since the majority of your projector use will be for sports and tv are you choosing a 16x9 screen? You really need to choose the projector first. Those projectors excel in completely different room conditions and content. Blacked out bat cave watching primarily movies for the Sony. Ambient light sports viewing for the Epson 5050. I have seen both projectors. I currently own the 6050. The JVC NX5/RS1000 should be on your list as well. It is not to say the 5050 doesn't give a great movie experience but the picture is not quite as sharp and detailed as the Sony. The Sony has the lowest lumen of the the three and picture quality would suffer in a light colored room with lights on. The NX5 can be found for significantly under MSRP and in my opinion is clearly the best projector of the 3, especially when it come to HDR given it is the only one of the three with Dynamic Tone Mapping. I would say if you really want an AT screen with lights on viewing sports as your priority I think the 5050 would be your top choice. Seymour AV allows you to DIY many of their screen materials. It would allow you to maximize your $1000 budget. For AT screens pay close attention to throw ratio, seating distance and viewing angle. The 5050 price point would also allow for you to increase your screen budget.

http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 01-09-2020 at 08:07 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Will your room colors be light or dark? Will you be watching with lights off most of the time? Since the majority of your projector use will be for sports and tv are you choosing a 16x9 screen? You really need to choose the projector first. Those projectors excel in completely different room conditions and content. Blacked out bat cave watching primarily movies for the Sony. Ambient light sports viewing for the Epson 5050. I have seen both projectors. I currently own the 6050. The JVC NX5/RS1000 should be on your list as well. It is not to say the 5050 doesn't give a great movie experience but the picture is not quite as sharp and detailed as the Sony. The Sony has the lowest lumen of the the three and picture quality would suffer in a light colored room with lights on. I would say if you really want an AT screen with lights on viewing sports as your priority I think the 5050 would be your top choice. Seymour AV allows you to DIY many of their screen materials. It would allow you to maximize your $1000 budget.

http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp

The room will mostly be painted black with red walls above the wainscoting.

5050 Sounds good, thanks for the advice. I will look more into the 5050...

I guess what I'm looking for too is screen dimensions so I can frame it out. There will be a ~1' riser for the back row of seating. I obviously want to go as large as possible, but from what I read 150" 16:9 will pretty much be floor to ceiling almost...

Last edited by Earnhardt_8; 01-09-2020 at 08:24 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Screen size/viewing distance is a personal preference. Others can tell you what works best for them which may not necessarily be best for you. The best advice for someone who is unsure of their own preference is to buy the projector first and experiment on a blank wall with different image sizes from your desired viewing distance. You want a projected image to be big enough to be immersive and cinematic when compared with a typical TV but not so big that it causes eyestrain from trying to follow fast moving action. We're all wired a little differently so one size definitely doesn't fit all. That's the reason why some people prefer sitting in the front rows of a commercial cinema, some in the back rows and some in every row in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page