I need a screen recommendation... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ftoast

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question I need a screen recommendation...

Howdy guys! I've got a 14' by 12' by 9' mostly white room for my home theater, and no, I can't paint it black. I have the fantasy that I can put a 100" to 110" ALR screen on the wall but I'm not sure I have enough throw distance (which is 12 feet). I don't need it to be acoustically transparent.

I read very good things about the Seymour Ambient Visionaire 1.3 silver screens, the CineGrey 5D from Elite, and the FireHawk 5C from Stewart. Will any of these work at a twelve foot throw distance, and which would be best? My projector is an Optima UHZ65.

Most of the time the lights will be moderately down, but for football I'd like to see my chips...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCBT View Post
Howdy guys! I've got a 14' by 12' by 9' mostly white room for my home theater, and no, I can't paint it black. I have the fantasy that I can put a 100" to 110" ALR screen on the wall but I'm not sure I have enough throw distance (which is 12 feet). I don't need it to be acoustically transparent.

I read very good things about the Seymour Ambient Visionaire 1.3 silver screens, the CineGrey 5D from Elite, and the FireHawk 5C from Stewart. Will any of these work at a twelve foot throw distance, and which would be best? My projector is an Optima UHZ65.

Most of the time the lights will be moderately down, but for football I'd like to see my chips...
I have approx. the same room size and issue with throw distance (11.4ft), and wanted to use Seymour ALR 1.2 screen however it has a recommended throw of 1.9x and silver is 1.8x of the screen width. I spoke with Jon at Seymour and he recommended the new Matinee Black Wide .9 gain with a 1.4 throw and sent some surface samples to compare. While the blacks aren't as black on the MBw as the AV1.2, its a good compromise vs. the AV1.2, gray or white screens samples I received . I ordered the MBw 80x45 (92" dia) which has a recommend throw of 112" so I should be able to avoid any issues. The screen should arrive next week, I'll post a followup once I have it installed. Take at look at the Seymour AV Store - they have a few B-stock basement screens that might work.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCBT View Post

It does not have to be black, a dark shade will do.
Or use curtains for the sides, dark rug on the floor.
The ceiling would also need to be treated. If it's a high ceiling, then the reflections would be less of a problem.
The area that if treated will be most beneficial is closest to the screen, 5' or more (or less if it's an enclosed area), but it may look strange to paint only part of the room in one shade, and the rest in a different one.

A screen should not be chosen until the projector has been used for a few weeks on a wall. Do you have the UHZ65 already and have used it.
If yes, are you sure about the screen size?
Although this is a personal preference, 110-110" from 12' borders on the small size.

To alleviate issues with screen wash out, in treated room or not, with an ALR screen or not, light should not hit the screen directly. Canned lights can be used, but only in the seating area, or maybe on the sides of the room.

A white screen (for instance) in a treated room will be superior to a ALR screen in a room with white walls.

A grey screen can, in a small amount, help with image washout.
A paint mix would be a much better solution. They can have a positive gain, no hotspot, some ALR properties. It's not complicated, the paint can be applied on a smooth wall or a white PVC screen.

A user recently purchased an Cinegrey 3D, which is a less aggressive version of the 5D, and at 1.77x the screen still had a hotspot. The hotspot will manifest when the image is brighter. The minimum throw ratio for both the 3D and 5D is 1.5x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
1.4 for the jvc 1.5 for the w1070
Yes. at this throw ratio to get rid of the hotspot would take a stewart studiotek100 or a dalite parallax/dnp supernova, evp darkstar9. The neve and seymourav glacialwhite should also be hotspot free. Possibly elunevisions fixed frame material though i dont have a sample.
Not all the screens mentioned in the quoted list are ALR. Some of these screens can be very expensive. Although the claim is that they will not hotspot at that throw 1.4/1.5x, I don't know if that is actually the case. Looking at the specifications of the fabrics they look very similar to the XY Black Crystal 0.8 ALR, which has some hotspot at 1.5x.

Even a screen with lower ALR properties, the Firehawk G4, which has a minimum throw of 1.3x might.
With samples it can be difficult to determine if a fabric hotspots.

Most ALR fabrics have a minimum throw of 1.5x or higher, but 1.9x (or higher) is recommended to avoid these issues.

I mentioned the screen size earlier.
You can play around with the calculator to see what throw ranges can be had with 12' or 12' 7" (if the projector would be placed as backwards as possible).

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm
http://screen-size.info/

For instance, for a throw of 1.5x from 12' (144"), the width of the screen would be 96". That's a 110.1" screen.

The advantage with paints is that they can be customized to the specific setup, which is easier than trying to pick between different screens that may be close, but not quite there. Not to mention a painted screen would be very budget friendly. This way a larger screen could also be used, is desired.

Last edited by noob00224; 01-09-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 921
It sounds like you're in a good position for a Cinegrey3D screen if you won't be treating the room's walls/ceiling with darker colors. A 12ft throw-distance from a 7ft-8ft wide screen can work well, but there's another bonus I realized thanks to some earlier posts by another AVS member here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...arl-s-alr.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley True View Post
I got a cinegey screen 3D for $250 from Amazon .. I decided to try it out first because with amazon if I did not like it I can just simple send it back zero cost to me and then do silver fire .. well it works great for me . Zero hotspots and I am at 1.35 ratio .. I am sure you guys could see problem but ignorance is bliss. And it works fine for my ambient lighting situation
It sounds like you can get a Cinegrey 3D fixedframe screen for an impressive price while also having a great return-policy if it turns out to be something you don't love as much as you hoped.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
It sounds like you're in a good position for a Cinegrey3D screen if you won't be treating the room's walls/ceiling with darker colors. A 12ft throw-distance from a 7ft-8ft wide screen can work well, but there's another bonus I realized thanks to some earlier posts by another AVS member here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...arl-s-alr.html

It sounds like you can get a Cinegrey 3D fixedframe screen for an impressive price while also having a great return-policy if it turns out to be something you don't love as much as you hoped.
That example has a hotspot at 1.35x.

Drew Dough also got a 3D and it had a hotspot at 1.77x.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...om-screen.html
He deleted the post though.

I'm not sure what to think, the hotspots seem to manifest differently, it may be how the cameras are capturing them.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
That example has a hotspot at 1.35x.

Drew Dough also got a 3D and it had a hotspot at 1.77x.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...om-screen.html
He deleted the post though.

I'm not sure what to think, the hotspots seem to manifest differently, it may be how the cameras are capturing them.
Camera's in general tend to exaggerate/stretch brightness differences because of their more limited sensor/dynamic-range, and different cameras can have more or less limited range...so that might be part of it.
That's also why getting the person's "this is what it looks like to me" opinion can be helpful too..although different people can be bothered or oblivious or somewhere between to different things.
That's also why having the option to see it yourself in a no-risk situation can be particularly great.
noob00224 likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page