120" Motorized/Electric Screen Recommendation/Advice Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 15
120" Motorized/Electric Screen Recommendation/Advice Needed

I've had projectors for close to 15 years. I first started with a Da-Lite Model B but hated the waves that formed on the material after a few years. I recently upgraded to a Silver Ticket fixed screen (grey). It was a great upgrade because it got rid of the waves. At the same time, I upgraded to an Epson 3700 which has served me well given how bright it is.

Recently, the wife has been complaining about the ST because it blocks all sunlight from the 2 large windows it's placed in front of. So I've been looking into my next screen - tab tension motorized. And my goodness are the options overwhelming and now with the introduction of ALR, there are so many to choose from at all different price ranges.

I'd say I have a decent amount of ambient lighting when I watch (100% of it due to artificial lighting).

So my dilemma is this - I only watch about 1 hr of that projector while my 3 other OLED tvs get the bulk of TV watching so I'm struggling to dump a lot of $$ into it. I was looking at 3 different screens (need 120-125") and wondering at what price range/level I should pull the trigger:

Elite Screens Spectrum Tab-Tension - $670 on Amazon

Elite Screens Starling Tab-Tension 2 CineGrey 5D - $1600 on Amazon

Screen Innovations Slate ALR - $4500

Plz help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
I've had projectors for close to 15 years. I first started with a Da-Lite Model B but hated the waves that formed on the material after a few years. I recently upgraded to a Silver Ticket fixed screen (grey). It was a great upgrade because it got rid of the waves. At the same time, I upgraded to an Epson 3700 which has served me well given how bright it is.

Recently, the wife has been complaining about the ST because it blocks all sunlight from the 2 large windows it's placed in front of. So I've been looking into my next screen - tab tension motorized. And my goodness are the options overwhelming and now with the introduction of ALR, there are so many to choose from at all different price ranges.

I'd say I have a decent amount of ambient lighting when I watch (100% of it due to artificial lighting).

So my dilemma is this - I only watch about 1 hr of that projector while my 3 other OLED tvs get the bulk of TV watching so I'm struggling to dump a lot of $$ into it. I was looking at 3 different screens (need 120-125") and wondering at what price range/level I should pull the trigger:

Plz help.
I think you know which screen is best. It is also the most expensive. You don't use your projector often enough to justify the cost/value of the SI.

The first choice I Assume you would be going back to white 1.1 gain which has its positives and negatives. Wider viewing angle, probably won't have to move your projector , more accurate color reproduction etc for positives. Negatives will include screen washout when ambient and reflective light hits the screen, reduced black level and overall contrast.

The Second choice will most likely improve your contrast and black levels. ALR screens can have some hotspotting and poor off angle viewing. As long as you look at the recommended throw ratio and can accomplish it you will likely see an increase in picture quality with lights on. Obviously your room colors and how close your screen is to the sidewalls, ceiling and floor will have an impact on your picture quality due to how much light is reflected back onto your screen. Some ALR screens are better at reducing sidewalls reflections than ceiling reflections and vice versa. All things to consider.

The third choice is an amazing screen . It will clearly be the winner in overall image quality. I don't know if it is worth three times the Elite gray screen option.

Ultimately you have to decide how much money you are willing to sacrifice to enhance your viewing experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have had a 100" Elite CiniTension 2 for 10+ years. The first one I got was dead out of the box. Elite sent me a replacement which has been great including being perfectly flat. I am in the process of upgrading to a 120" screen so considered Elite again. The prices have gone up a bunch since I bought mine and based on reviews here and on Amazon, quality control has gotten even more hit and miss. So I started looking at different vendors.

A motorized screen from SI or Stewart should be a big upgrade from the Elite in quality and customer support. While we aren't allowed to talk about actual street pricing here on AVS, based on quotes I have gotten the SI and Stewart screens are more affordable than you might think.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Plz help.

What is the projector?
What distance is is placed at and what other distances it could be placed at?
Seating distance?
Room dimensions?
Color of walls?
Ambient light? If yes, how much and from what source?
Are you willing to treat the walls for reflections (if it's not treated already)?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What is the projector? Epson 3700
What distance is is placed at and what other distances it could be placed at? 16 Ft Throw 14 Ft seating (no changes allowed)
Seating distance?
Room dimensions? L shaped
Color of walls? Beige
Ambient light? If yes, how much and from what source? Lamps
Are you willing to treat the walls for reflections (if it's not treated already)?
Nope

Epson 3700
16 Ft Throw 14 Ft seating (no changes allowed)
L shaped room
Beige walls
No changing wall colors

This is the picture of the setup. Wife aggro means this thing is fixed in one spot and she hates that she lost her windows. Walls are beige in color and being re-painted as we speak. Ambient light isn't too bad at night (picture makes it look a lot brighter than it really is). Excuse the mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-10-2020 5-14-13 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2667654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2667656  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope

Epson 3700
16 Ft Throw 14 Ft seating (no changes allowed)
L shaped room
Beige walls
No changing wall colors

This is the picture of the setup. Wife aggro means this thing is fixed in one spot and she hates that she lost her windows. Walls are beige in color and being re-painted as we speak. Ambient light isn't too bad at night (picture makes it look a lot brighter than it really is). Excuse the mess.
To avoid hotspots and sparkles the projector would need to be placed as far back as possible.
ALR's generally have a minimum recommended throw of 1.5x or higher, but to avoid artifacts the throw should be 1.8x or higher.

With 16' (from lens to screen) and an 120" screen in 16:9 format the throw ratio is 1.83x.
For an 125" it's 1.76x.

The hotspot/sparkle are most visible when a bright/close to white image is projected. The brightness of the projector plays a factor in this as well.
It's unclear how much, if any an ALR fabric will hotspot/sparkle.

The Slate 1.2 and 0.8 are said to be similar to Cinegrey 3D or 5D. The 0.8 and 5D are more aggressive and are more likely to have visual artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
1.4 for the jvc 1.5 for the w1070
Yes. at this throw ratio to get rid of the hotspot would take a dalite parallax Pure 0.8/dnp supernova 08-85, evp darkstar9. Possibly elunevisions Aurora ALR (and others) fixed frame material though i dont have a sample.
It's difficult to determine how much the image will be affected by artifacts just with samples.
Some of these fabrics are similar to the XY Black Crystal 0.8 which has some hotspot and sparkle at 1.5x.

If you're going to go the ALR route, select a material that has less ambient light rejecting/resisting properties.
A FireHawk G4 has a minimum recommended throw of 1.3x. The Cinegrey 3D 1.5x. Elunevision Aurora 1.2x.

You could try a XY Black Crystal 0.8 since it's relatively inexpensive compared to the others.

Besides the fabric, the other components of a screen can also be of varying quality and contribute to the price.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To avoid hotspots and sparkles the projector would need to be placed as far back as possible.
ALR's generally have a minimum recommended throw of 1.5x or higher, but to avoid artifacts the throw should be 1.8x or higher.

With 16' (from lens to screen) and an 120" screen in 16:9 format the throw ratio is 1.83x.
For an 125" it's 1.76x.

The hotspot/sparkle are most visible when a bright/close to white image is projected. The brightness of the projector plays a factor in this as well.
It's unclear how much, if any an ALR fabric will hotspot/sparkle.

The Slate 1.2 and 0.8 are said to be similar to Cinegrey 3D or 5D. The 0.8 and 5D are more aggressive and are more likely to have visual artifacts.

It's difficult to determine how much the image will be affected by artifacts just with samples.
Some of these fabrics are similar to the XY Black Crystal 0.8 which has some hotspot and sparkle at 1.5x.

If you're going to go the ALR route, select a material that has less ambient light rejecting/resisting properties.
A FireHawk G4 has a minimum recommended throw of 1.3x. The Cinegrey 3D 1.5x. Elunevision Aurora 1.2x.

You could try a XY Black Crystal 0.8 since it's relatively inexpensive compared to the others.

Besides the fabric, the other components of a screen can also be of varying quality and contribute to the price.
My bad on the measurements - I'm 12' viewing and 14' projector to screen.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My bad on the measurements - I'm 12' viewing and 14' projector to screen.
The closer the projector gets to the screen the more likely it will have visual artifacts.

For 120" the throw is 1.6x and 1.54x for 125".

As it's mentioned above, it's difficult to determine if there will be any hotspot/sparkle with some fabrics.

There will likely be on the Cinegrey 3D/5D, Slate 1.2/0.8.

It could be relatively inoffensive, only visible on very bright images:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post59026970

You could get samples for a the ones mentioned above, as well as the ones mentioned in the previous post, take pictures with the sample at the center of the screen and at the edge. The edges technically are always dimmer than the center, even if it's not visible.

Although a more difficult to make but with better results would be special mix of paint. Can be customized. Will improve blacks and keep the brightness. ALR properties and no hotspot. Budget friendly. Can be applied on a drop down screen. Not complicated, but requires painting.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The closer the projector gets to the screen the more likely it will have visual artifacts.

For 120" the throw is 1.6x and 1.54x for 125".

As it's mentioned above, it's difficult to determine if there will be any hotspot/sparkle with some fabrics.

There will likely be on the Cinegrey 3D/5D, Slate 1.2/0.8.

It could be relatively inoffensive, only visible on very bright images:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post59026970

You could get samples for a the ones mentioned above, as well as the ones mentioned in the previous post, take pictures with the sample at the center of the screen and at the edge. The edges technically are always dimmer than the center, even if it's not visible.

Although a more difficult to make but with better results would be special mix of paint. Can be customized. Will improve blacks and keep the brightness. ALR properties and no hotspot. Budget friendly. Can be applied on a drop down screen. Not complicated, but requires painting.

What drop down is budget friendly that won't result in eventual waves?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
What drop down is budget friendly that won't result in eventual waves?
ive had a 92" xy screen black crystal for a year and its still nice and flat. its used daily 16 hours down 8 hours up. Really no negatives to the retractable system, no roller marks are visible in viewing, only slightly visible up close with a flashlight, no waves or bunching, nice flat projection surface. There are some slight manufacturing defects with the material but only visible on a very bright solid color image with a short throw, theyre hard to describe and harder to photograph and not distracting.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
ive had a 92" xy screen black crystal for a year and its still nice and flat. its used daily 16 hours down 8 hours up. Really no negatives to the retractable system, no roller marks are visible in viewing, only slightly visible up close with a flashlight, no waves or bunching, nice flat projection surface. There are some slight manufacturing defects with the material but only visible on a very bright solid color image with a short throw, theyre hard to describe and harder to photograph and not distracting.

What's the difference between EC1 & 2? And do you buy directly from them?
post #12 of 12 Old 01-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
What's the difference between EC1 & 2? And do you buy directly from them?
EC2 is tensioned, ec1 is not. Sorry I thought i put it in the last message, I have the ec2. Yes I bought from them dirrctly. I originally messaged them through alibaba for information then used emails to order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page