Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
120" UST ALR Screen

Hello All,

I am looking for an affordable solution for my living room. 120" 16:9 - Ambient Light will be a huge factor here as it is very SUNNY in Texas .

Thanks Everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What does your room look like? White/light or dark colored walls, open floor plan or stand alone room, lots of windows and can you cover them? Direct light or just lots of indirect/ambient? What type of content? Bright and colorful like football or sitcoms or dark like movies and higher-end episodic?

I have an Elite Screens 120" UST CLR(ALR) and it does a nice job in my den, but my den is only a few steps removed from a dedicated room, as far as light control. It's a stand-alone room with windows on the east and north that are covered with curtains or wooden blinds and the walls are wood paneling, so even during the day, unless you open the curtains and blinds, it's fairly dark and there is never any direct light coming in. With "normal" content, you can turn on the lamps in the room and it's absolutely fine. Actually better than the rear projection TV it replaced. Even if I opened the curtains on the east bay window, you could still watch bright/colorful content, but it does start to wash out. I would say watching "dark" content during the day/lots of ambient is a no-go and would be un-enjoyable. ALR screens are not magical silver bullets. If there's a lot of ambient light, you'll be better off with a large flat panel.

Below are a few quick pics. There is a little light coming in between the blinds next to/to the right of the screen(north windows), but the blinds are closed otherwise.

Brightish/colorful with the curtains closed and curtains open(I'm actually casting a shadow on the screen in this one, so it's a little better than it would actually be). Then some content with some dark/darker parts with the curtains closed and open, again, but I stepped back to keep my shadow off the screen when the curtains were open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3839.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	837.4 KB
ID:	2669402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3840.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	912.6 KB
ID:	2669404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	2669406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg
Size:	772.3 KB
ID:	2669408  

Last edited by Run&Gun; 01-13-2020 at 12:24 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gonzalez View Post
Hello All,

I am looking for an affordable solution for my living room. 120" 16:9 - Ambient Light will be a huge factor here as it is very SUNNY in Texas .

Thanks Everyone.
To be realistic you don't want a projector. It may work well after dark but will be useless if you can't control the ambient light to some extent. Maybe drill an oil well in your back yard and suck some of that "Texas gold" so you can afford a modular LED wall costing $100K+.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Thanks Guys

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Well while not the answer I was looking for, it's the direct answer that I needed. I will see if I can find another use for my UST projector, and start looking for a TV.

Thanks,
Luis G.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
TV in the daytime and projector after dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page