AT screen vs. Center Channel on floor? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 2 Post By Kal Rubinson
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer

post #1 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 28
AT screen vs. Center Channel on floor?

I have a 11ft wide space front stage and am looking to get multiple motorized screens to handle 16x9 and 2.35 AR (and perhaps a ALR too though doubt I'll find a good one for cheap) with JVC DLA-X770R lens saving for each.
Hoping to buy quality used (on the cheap)
In order to buy cheap I want to broaden my choices and am wondering if I need an Acoustic Transparant screen, or can buy 120" screens with the R & L channel on each side (i.e. next to the wall w/ acoustic panel) and if I put the center channel on the floor (I still have to figure out the aethetics of that)
How will that impact the audio quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I have a 11ft wide space front stage and am looking to get multiple motorized screens to handle 16x9 and 2.35 AR (and perhaps a ALR too though doubt I'll find a good one for cheap) with JVC DLA-X770R lens saving for each.

In order to buy cheap I want to broaden my choices and am wondering if I need an Acoustic Transparant screen, or can buy 120" screens with the R & L channel on each side (i.e. next to the wall w/ acoustic panel) and if I put the center channel on the floor (I still have to figure out the aethetics of that)

Just purely from an audio standpoint having speakers behind the screens with all the tweeters aligned roughly at ear level will give the most realistic soundfield. Depending upon the speaker it might be negatively impacted by being placed directly on the floor. Even getting it 12 inches off the floor would be much better. Angling it up would help as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bluer101 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
It really depends on your audio quality expectations:
1. Putting the center on/near the floor so that it is not at the same height as the L/R will affect imaging and the illusion of horizontally moving sources.
2. Putting the L/R speakers against the side-walls even with an "acoustical panel" is going to excite main room modes and demand a lot from your REQ (and it will be required).
3. Using an AC screen will free up your speaker positioning for all of the L/C/R speakers and even permit you to use a center speaker which is identical to the L/R speakers.
OTOH, you may not care that much...............................
chriscmore and rossandwendy like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks - it sounds as though it'll have too much of an impact
Also I assume the same is true of putting behind an regular (i.e non-AT) screen - would also have a big impact
so I need to hold out for AT screens?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
thanks - it sounds as though it'll have too much of an impact
Also I assume the same is true of putting behind an regular (i.e non-AT) screen - would also have a big impact
Oh yes.
Quote:
so I need to hold out for AT screens?
That would be my move under those conditions.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
OP you may want to try a phantom center setting also. If your seating is not widely off center I find this works great.
rossandwendy likes this.

Bud
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Technically, identical LCR speakers mounted at exactly the same height produce the optimum sound stage. In the real world many people are not overly sensitive to this and get along quite well with a center mounted directly below or above the screen. The ventriloquism effect can be powerful in convincing us the voice is coming from the lips on the screen and not a speaker above or below the screen. Due to the wide variability in individual sensitivity to this effect it's hard to predict how any one person will react.

While others have gotten along just fine with an LR and phantom center I found that in my setup with widely spaced LR a center speaker helped anchor center channel sound on the screen. I experimented with a center speaker both below and above the screen, and in the case of my room environment the above screen placement produced a slightly more convincing soundstage. What any individual may find satisfactory depends on the exact setup along with the individual's sensitivity to sound perception.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7452 Post(s)
Liked: 9021
Quote:
I put my center speaker above my two electric screens ( link to my theater photos is in my signature ). It works well. You will be hard pressed to find a " cheap " electric AT screen, and even more hard pressed to find a good / cheap AT screen.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I have to say after having at my old house a electric screen with center channel below to my dedicated theater with an AT spandex screen, I will never go back to a non AT screen. Having 3 matched tower speakers directly behind the screen imo is night and day.
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I put my center speaker above my two electric screens ( link to my theater photos is in my signature ). It works well. You will be hard pressed to find a " cheap " electric AT screen, and even more hard pressed to find a good / cheap AT screen.
I saw the pics of your setup . That's what I'm looking for. I'm going to move my CC to the floor (and set to phantom) and see what sound difference my ears hear. How far does my front speakers need to distanced be from the wall (as one side might get too tight).
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I saw the pics of your setup . That's what I'm looking for. I'm going to move my CC to the floor (and set to phantom) and see what sound difference my ears hear. How far does my front speakers need to distanced be from the wall (as one side might get too tight).
I have my front speakers pretty close to the wall - just the way it has to be. Make sure you re-run Audyssey before testing any new speaker location. Re-run it every time you make any changes.
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I have to say after having at my old house a electric screen with center channel below to my dedicated theater with an AT spandex screen, I will never go back to a non AT screen. Having 3 matched tower speakers directly behind the screen imo is night and day.
I prefer a non AT screen, since they are sharper and brighter for 4K / HDR ( Stewart StudioTek 130 ). That said, your theater looks great. In a small space like that, an AT screen gave you a larger screen and makes perfect sense. Nice job !
bluer101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page