Horizontal lines on Carl's FlexiGray Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Horizontal lines on Carl's FlexiGray Screen

I just finished installing the Carl's Flexigray screen on my wood frame for a 170 inch screen. I am seeing some horizontal lines on the screen as per the pictures shared below. Is there anyone that recognizes what these lines are?

What have I tried so far?

1) Tried moving projector to see if its a result of the lens (Epson 6050UB) - no change in location of lines.
2) Move projector screen up and down - lines move with the screen.
3) Visible in normal light? - Yes, when viewed from the correct angle, I can see almost an alternating pattern of shinier/no so shiny parts of the screen.
4) Covered all reflecting surfaces around the screen - yes, no impact.
5) Check screen for tension - Yes, its as straight as it can be. Its pretty well tensioned on all sides.

Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200121_081728.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	2673486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200121_081645.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	2673488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200121_081709.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	916.8 KB
ID:	2673490  

Last edited by 4everalone; 01-21-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everalone View Post
I just finished installing the Carl's Flexigray screen on my wood frame. I am seeing some horizontal lines on the screen as per the pictures shared below. Is there anyone that recognizes what these lines are?

1) Tried moving projector to see if its a result of the lens (Epson 6050UB) - no change in location of lines.

3) Visible in normal light? - Yes, when viewed from the correct angle, I can see almost an alternating pattern of shinier/no so shiny parts of the screen.

Looks like line from where the screen material was rolled up on itself. Have you tried a blow dryer. It will usually tighten up the material and remove the wrinkles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Looks like line from where the screen material was rolled up on itself. Have you tried a blow dryer. It will usually tighten up the material and remove the wrinkles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have not tried anything except checking for dust etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I just finished installing the Carl's Flexigray screen on my wood frame. I am seeing some horizontal lines on the screen as per the pictures shared below. Is there anyone that recognizes what these lines are?

I had the exact same problem with Carl's Ultra Grey. The lines never went away in my case. I was replacing some old black out cloth that was getting ratty. Manufacturer had no answers for me. Ended up replacing it with a Silver Ticket 92" grey fixed frame and it made me wonder why I ever built my own to begin with. It's a little more expensive, but the pre-manufactured frame and perfectly cut and stretched material was a joy compared to my half-assed attempts at carpentry. It also just looks better. Perfect lines and edges. No ripples. It's worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerseve726 View Post
I had the exact same problem with Carl's Ultra Grey. The lines never went away in my case. I was replacing some old black out cloth that was getting ratty. Manufacturer had no answers for me. Ended up replacing it with a Silver Ticket 92" grey fixed frame and it made me wonder why I ever built my own to begin with. It's a little more expensive, but the pre-manufactured frame and perfectly cut and stretched material was a joy compared to my half-assed attempts at carpentry. It also just looks better. Perfect lines and edges. No ripples. It's worth the money.

Appreciate the input, did you try reaching out to Carl's? If so, what did they say? I only did this to get a custom screen size, and because I like DIY projects. Also, I don't know anyone selling a gray 175 inch screen.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-22-2020, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Had anybody else seen, or better yet, overcome this issue? I'm hoping that it's just something simple I'm overlooking.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Had the same issue with Elunevisions reference 100el material(same material but white). I sent it back to the seller and they sent a replacement with the same issue and then stopped returning my emails. Does yours have a black backing?
post #8 of 20 Old 01-23-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Had the same issue with Elunevisions reference 100el material(same material but white). I sent it back to the seller and they sent a replacement with the same issue and then stopped returning my emails. Does yours have a black backing?
Yes it does.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the input, did you try reaching out to Carl's? If so, what did they say? I only did this to get a custom screen size, and because I like DIY projects. Also, I don't know anyone selling a gray 175 inch screen.
I spoke with them repeatedly and they said that they had no idea what the issue was and possibly a manufacturing defect. They had no answers. Mine seemed to be a little better after cleaning several times with a light mix of simple green, but not in any satisfactory way. My guess is that they effed up the reflective coating and I'm also guessing that most of them look this way...just most people doing the diy thing think anything clearer than a white wall is good enough. The uniformity of the pre-manufactured screen was almost startling. Truly looks like an HDTV now. The size of your screen really limits your options though. I've heard people get good results from layering different colored spandex (usually white over black, I think), and it's cheaper than screen material.

post #10 of 20 Old 01-23-2020, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
I spoke with them repeatedly and they said that they had no idea what the issue was and possibly a manufacturing defect. They had no answers. Mine seemed to be a little better after cleaning several times with a light mix of simple green, but not in any satisfactory way. My guess is that they effed up the reflective coating and I'm also guessing that most of them look this way...just most people doing the diy thing think anything clearer than a white wall is good enough. The uniformity of the pre-manufactured screen was almost startling. Truly looks like an HDTV now. The size of your screen really limits your options though. I've heard people get good results from layering different colored spandex (usually white over black, I think), and it's cheaper than screen material.

Just because it's not expensive does not mean that it should have this defect. I had fabric from Elite with vertical lines and they sent a replacement.
Have them send a new one.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Just because it's not expensive does not mean that it should have this defect. I had fabric from Elite with vertical lines and they sent a replacement.
Have them send a new one.
I didn't feel like tearing off all the old stuff and doing it again to possibly have the same problem. Decided I had better things to do than tear up five million staples, lol. And it was the Ultra material...it was kinda expensive. The screen I bought was only $200 and the Carl's Ultra material was well over $100, plus felt tape n all that jazz, plus if you add in the lumber, jig, etc for building the frame initially, I'd bet they're pretty close to the same price. I won't ever build one for myself again. (and yes, I know the Ultra isn't recommended to be stretched, but it had nothing to do with the issue I had. Lines were perfectly uniform.)

Last edited by dyerseve726; 01-23-2020 at 08:20 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't feel like tearing off all the old stuff and doing it again to possibly have the same problem. Decided I had better things to do than tear up five million staples, lol. And it was the Ultra material...it was kinda expensive. The screen I bought was only $200 and the Carl's Ultra material was well over $100, plus felt tape n all that jazz, plus if you add in the lumber, jig, etc for building the frame initially, I'd bet they're pretty close to the same price. I won't ever build one for myself again. (and yes, I know the Ultra isn't recommended to be stretched, but it had nothing to do with the issue I had. Lines were perfectly uniform.)

Wow! that's exactly the same issue I have. I suppose I was lucky to try it out before installing the felt edge, but I do hear you about the staples. I too wish Silver Screen had a grey option, since they already sell a white one in this size.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! that's exactly the same issue I have. I suppose I was lucky to try it out before installing the felt edge, but I do hear you about the staples. I too wish Silver Screen had a grey option, since they already sell a white one in this size.
What do you mean a grey option of Silver screen? Isn't this the FlexiGrey and other grey materials?
post #14 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
What do you mean a grey option of Silver screen? Isn't this the FlexiGrey and other grey materials?
I think he's saying he wishes Silver Ticket Screens sold a grey screen in the size he wants, not the Carl's.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think he's saying he wishes Silver Ticket Screens sold a grey screen in the size he wants, not the Carl's.

What's the size he wants?
post #16 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
What's the size he wants?
175" - Their grey screens top out at 150" for some reason.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Here's what mine looked like, btw. Mine were vertical, but they look the same to me. Interesting that the Flexi and Ultra Grey would suffer from the same defect.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
175" - Their grey screens top out at 150" for some reason.

What about paints?
post #19 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I meant the silver screen brand. Sorry about the confusion.

The size I'm doing is 175" with the 186" material.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-24-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I meant the silver screen brand. Sorry about the confusion.

The size I'm doing is 175" with the 186" material.
As I mentioned previously, with paints you can do whatever shade is needed.

I'm sure some screen manufacturers can do that size, maybe contact some of them.

I know of a cinema screen manufacturer which can do that size, Harkness Screens. You have to email them.
They quoted me for an 120" 0.7 gain screen about 25% higher cost than Carl's, without shipping on both.
UK based, this store sells the fabric in the US:
https://www.av-iq.com/avcat/ctl1642/...ntrast-grey-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page