White vs Gray screen for my Benq HT3550 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By annihilator

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
White vs Gray screen for my Benq HT3550

Hey! I've just started in this projector world with the Benq HT3550. I have to buy my first screen, so I don't know if I should buy one gray screen (gain: 0.9) or a white screen (gain: 1).

The projector will be placed in the living room, with white ceiling and light green walls, at 3,4 meters (11 ft) from the screen. And I will be sitting down under the projector. I can control any external source of light, so the room will be dark.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi!
i attach here some pictures.
Back is my wall painted very carefully and very smooth. Then a 1.2 gain ultra neutral white pro reference and a grey one. JVC RS46 eco mode the projector.
I don't like the grey at all, black is better (with jvc no necessary at all) but all rest is...simply dark. I never suggest a grey screen.

Always a 1.2 (or wall, there is no differences from the wall to the 1.2 gain white)

https://imgur.com/a/UkaYmNn
Jusep likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
[quote=annihilator;59192320]hi!
Back is my wall painted very carefully and very smooth. Then a 1.2 gain ultra neutral white pro reference and a grey one. JVC RS46 eco mode the projector.
I don't like the grey at all, black is better (with jvc no necessary at all) but all rest is...simply dark. I never suggest a grey screen.

Always a 1.2 (or wall, there is no differences from the wall to the 1.2 gain white)

Wow! I see that the the image is more vivid, for me the colours are important but I've heard so many people saying that if you don't have the Batcave, buy a gray screen. In the other hand, my projector has only 2.000 lumens and is placed at a medium distance so maybe if I set a gray screen I will lose some colour.

So your suggestion is, even if I'm projecting in a room with light colours in the ceiling, walls and floor, a white screen is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2020, 06:51 AM

Well people advices are always...as intended to be.
I mean, you must see the result with your eyes, not just "white, quite lot lumens so grey it is"

My jvc has a real 1300 output lumens. I must say in eco of course (and with almost all iris closed) it's absolutely enough bright for me, more than 50 nits on screen which is perfect.
But the point is, yu can have even 6 millions of lumens but with a grey screen you will always see dark whites and dead colors...it's not a matter of ambient or lumens, it's always a matter of in what you are going to project, the image is "created" there. And the grey (for me at least but you can see with your eyes)is absolutely never a good point to be used.

My suggestions is to take a great contrast projector as jvc for ex and a good white screen. Grey is useless even in ambient like ours (white walls ecc).
OR

Take a less good projector and a ALR screen...

OR
As i'm going to do...
Take a jvc with not a lot of money (i sold my rs2 for 450 euros and took this RS46 for 520, so basically 100 euros i put on) and a ALR screen...the result is more or less an oled big screen

Cant' do any comparison now, i'm waiting for a cinegrey 5D and will post then...I tried the 3D nad the result is absolutely stunning on one way, but poor on brightness. That's why i then chose to see a 5D with more gain...the ALR screens unifies basically the grey pros with white pros screens. expecially in our environments...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-06-2020, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by annihilator View Post
hi!

https://imgur.com/a/UkaYmNn

I have a JVC x790r, its got amazing black level and is also very bright especially with HDR. I used a 120 inch cinegrey screen of .9 or 1.0, cant remember. I used it with my previous optoma. the screen works very well for semi light controlled room (no light sources except bright walls and carpet etc). If you get a decent screen the grey is a neutral color (no alteration of colors) only helps to make the blacks darker and the whites slightly dimmer. Imagine casting an image onto a black screen and a white screen, the black would be oled like but dim, the white would be bright but blacks wont be inky. Id recommend a neutral grey with a gain of 1.1 to 1.2, anything higher will be spotty without spending a couple thousand. For ALR it can help with white walls but make sure where the projector is located. mine is to far up and angled to use ALR without losing some light from the projector.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-06-2020, 01:26 PM

i agree

but i don't like grey screens at all
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also own the BENQ HT3550. I couldn't decide either on which color screen would benefit this projector so I just bought both black and white. I have white paint on all walls and ceiling. Currently use it in the family room. (new house will have dedicated room). Anyway, my results found that the 3550 benefits more towards a white screen for me. First while I enjoy deeps blacks, you tend to sacrifice color in order to achieve this. I personally like a higher color ratio/deep blacks. One of the reasons why I chose this projector was because it produced deep blacks while providing bright colors on factor settings. So of course I tweaked it for better blacks while maintaining my vibrant colors.

Outcome:
White screen: provides more than enough deep blacks with vibrant bright colors. (tweak settings to get factory blacks even better)
Black screen: In a lot of scenes I found the blacks were being too washed out. Visually seeing more grey than black especially during dark scenes. Then of course scenes where its all about color just don't pop the same way they do with a white screen.

Last thoughts: When it comes down to picture quality it becomes very subjective to screens. While other prefer rich dark blacks some want colors to be bright and just pop. So for this you need to strike a balance like I did with mine.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 05:47 PM

well i partially agree...
the grey surface change the colorimetry with all projectors and in all ambients. That's a full stop
You can like more the deeper blacks but all rest completely out of acceptable range.
That's why i don't like grey surface at all..

Pair with a JVC means also (like with my jvc rs46) that blacks are extremely deep also in white surface, but everything else is much more "good, fine and pop".

I will try the cinegrey 5D too which provides also great point white and deeper blacks
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
A lot of what is being said about gray screens is not scientific or factual. It is ok to not like gray screens and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The study is much deeper than what is being stated here and the particular projector the OP is talking about and I assume wants the benefits of 4K HDR won’t have the firepower to work with most simple low gain gray screens once you start then talking about ALR gray screens now you are comparing apples to oranges with a simple lambertian white surface screen.

There is no reason a neutral density lambertian gray screen surface won’t reflect the entire spectrum of light. It is exactly the same thing as placing an ND filter over the lens everything passes but it is all equally attenuated.

The deepest black any front projection system can produce is what the screen looks like (Reflects) with whatever ambient light is in the room. That is both introduced ambient and rebounding ambient from the projector. The best CR projector specs will not hold up on the black end with ambient light. That is because projectors do not project black they project no light when black is needed.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page