Newbie - Screen & distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-09-2020, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie - Screen & distance

This forum is awesome and helped me in making some decisions regarding speakers and receiver. The next big item is screen and projector. I have never built a HT so this is my first, please advice.
I plan to have just 1 row seating, the dimensions of the room at 17'.4" length and width is 13'.4". The couch is going to be about 12' away from the front wall. My questions are:

i) What is ideal screen size that i should pick without causing strain on eyes , i have a 2 and 4 year old also, not sure that changes anything .

ii) I have been reading a little bit on how others are getting DIY screens, looks very exciting. I am not super handy, i can few small things. How hard and how much does it cost roughly? Is there significant price difference between DIY AT and non-AT screen? Estimated cost of each please.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0619212 View Post
This forum is awesome and helped me in making some decisions regarding speakers and receiver. The next big item is screen and projector. I have never built a HT so this is my first, please advice.
I plan to have just 1 row seating, the dimensions of the room at 17'.4" length and width is 13'.4". The couch is going to be about 12' away from the front wall. My questions are:

i) What is ideal screen size that i should pick without causing strain on eyes , i have a 2 and 4 year old also, not sure that changes anything .

ii) I have been reading a little bit on how others are getting DIY screens, looks very exciting. I am not super handy, i can few small things. How hard and how much does it cost roughly? Is there significant price difference between DIY AT and non-AT screen? Estimated cost of each please.

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the projector model, the source, personal preference, etc:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ed-angles.html

For a DIY screen you need the lumber to make the screen, the tools, felt tape for edge. As for fabric you can use spandex or buy AT screen material.

There are many threads on spandex.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Personal preference is by far the most important here. All the industry standards and others opinions are only rough guide lines and of no real value. Get the projector first and shoot on the wall or temporary screen for a least a few weeks and decide for your self what works for you as this is the only way to get it right the first time.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Hi there - You have the exact same room dimensions as I do (and I also have little kids). I also only have one row of seating that is about 11’ from the screen.

I have a 140” 2.40:1 screen that I recently built and covered with spandex. I am using the JVC NX7 projector. I LOVE this setup so far. I have the LCR speakers behind the AT screen. I like a big screen that provides an immersive experience.

As said already, the seating guides are just that... a guide. Go with what feels right for you.

Bigger is better in my mind . I was at another members house recently and he had a 160” scope screen with a 10’ seating distance. It was the most amazing theater experience I have had. Mind you he had the best of everything...

You can check out my build thread. Search for the Cloverdale Cinema Build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A2070, 1 Totem Tribe III, 4 x Totem Tribe II, 2 x Totem Tribe I, 2 x SVS PB2000, 4 x Beale Street In-ceiling
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
No one ever said "I wish I made my screen smaller" . . .

Kidding aside, I started with an 88" DIY screen (with blackout material) in an apartment thinking I would never want more. Then moved into a house, and currently have a 121" DIY painted screen. I still want bigger, but this time the room won't really allow unless I put the speakers closer to the side walls which I don't want to do.

Go as big as you can! Just remember you also need to factor in the power of the projector the bigger you go. A dim image can be just as unsatisfying as a screen too small. Target 18 foot-lamberts for SDR with a fresh bulb, because it will dim over time, and try to factor in that advertised projector lumens are often higher than the mode of the projector you'll actually want to use. For HDR, you'll probably want even brighter. My projector (RS2000/NX7) has high and low lamp modes. I use high lamp/wide open iris for HDR, and low lamp 3/4 closed iris for SDR, and the picture looks amazing.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have seen something to this effect repeatedly suggested on here:
Quote:
Get the projector first and shoot on the wall or temporary screen for a least a few weeks...
And I don't understand it. There's an old saying, "Go big or go home". EVERY time I have bought something new, I've gone pretty much as big as I could (affordably) buy at the time. I just went front projection last month at 120" and it is as large as I can go with a UST projector/screen. There was absolutely positively no reason to try out other (smaller) image sizes. I can physically fit a 135" screen between the towers, but they don't make UST screens that size and the projector is only "rated" to 120"(presume performance will start to suffer after that), BUT if I could have gone that big I would have, sight unseen. And honestly 120" doesn't seem as big as it did a few weeks ago... Whatever you get, it won't seem as big as it did that first day. So, save yourself some time and effort and just go as big as you can while still getting the performance you want.

OP, btw: my den is 12'x20', my screen is 120" and I'm sitting about 16.5'-17' away. 120" @ 12' would be pretty nice, but if you can go bigger and not sacrifice image quality, why not...?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelton43 View Post
Hi there - You have the exact same room dimensions as I do (and I also have little kids). I also only have one row of seating that is about 11’ from the screen.

I have a 140” 2.40:1 screen that I recently built and covered with spandex. I am using the JVC NX7 projector. I LOVE this setup so far. I have the LCR speakers behind the AT screen. I like a big screen that provides an immersive experience.

As said already, the seating guides are just that... a guide. Go with what feels right for you.

Bigger is better in my mind . I was at another members house recently and he had a 160” scope screen with a 10’ seating distance. It was the most amazing theater experience I have had. Mind you he had the best of everything...

You can check out my build thread. Search for the Cloverdale Cinema Build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks . JVC NX7 is freaking expensive !!!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page