Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Luxini ALR screen material?

Has anyone else seen or tried this stuff?

Im not expecting miracles here as it crazy cheap but I did place an order to check its out after verifying the website is real. The reviews and pictures look really promising, almost too much so... I really need a motorized screen but want to see if ALR is even going to work well in my setup and this will allow be to see hotspotting better than samples I guess. Thats if the material is any good. It doesn show any type of frame so im going to assume its just the cloth and be presently surprised if otherwise..

https://www.luxinishop.com/products/...19776228261958
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Has anyone else seen or tried this stuff?

Im not expecting miracles here as it crazy cheap but I did place an order to check its out after verifying the website is real. The reviews and pictures look really promising, almost too much so... I really need a motorized screen but want to see if ALR is even going to work well in my setup and this will allow be to see hotspotting better than samples I guess. Thats if the material is any good. It doesn show any type of frame so im going to assume its just the cloth and be presently surprised if otherwise..

https://www.luxinishop.com/products/...19776228261958
There is no information about the fabric, gain, half angle, placement recommendation.

What is your projector and how far away can it be installed?

I'm not even sure it's an ALR screen.Probably you get what you pay for.

A drop down budget ALR could be XY BC 0.8 gain screen, but that is many times more expensive than the linked screen above.

Another alternative is to get a cheap drop down screen and paint it with some mix. The mix will have ALR properties and improve the PQ of the image.

To check for hotspots with a sample:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Since hotspotting is relative to your eyes and the lens, you can have a sample at your screen location, look at it straight on and move off the side and see the illuminance of the material change.

Once you have an idea of the various materials and their requirements, you can just hit a sample with a flashlight and gauge what the recommended throw ratio would be as its entirely how matte the material is.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I am aware this is likely a lower quality screen but the screen shots if accurate show what looks like a higher gain material than the usual .8 It had me curious. I already have an $800 motorized and tensioner alr screen bookmarked. Due to the nature of how they work I dont think my attempts at making my current screen an ALR type would result in a consistent durable image and product.
If anything I have a few old projectors now due to upgrades and perhaps this screen with one of them will make a good starter setup for someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I am aware this is likely a lower quality screen but the screen shots if accurate show what looks like a higher gain material than the usual .8 It had me curious. I already have an $800 motorized and tensioner alr screen bookmarked. Due to the nature of how they work I dont think my attempts at making my current screen an ALR type would result in a consistent durable image and product.
If anything I have a few old projectors now due to upgrades and perhaps this screen with one of them will make a good starter setup for someone.
Not clear if it's positive gain.

It's not complicated to use paints:

Not sure what to make of this, but a few days ago another thread was created with what looks like the same screen, with a different name:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...projector.html

If you look at some the pictures in the Luxini and the ones in this video they are the same:

post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes but I need a motorized screen as I have a 65" tv behind it. Thanks for the links I have some research to do.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes but I need a motorized screen as I have a 65" tv behind it. Thanks for the links I have some research to do.

You can paint a motorized screen, not an issue. That was just an example.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Thanks, I'm aware a screen can be painted... But im also aware that its very likely that paint will end up sticking or becoming damaged in some way that would effect performance since we are talking about a reflective screen being rolled up on itself and many ALR mixures are directional reflective screens and a lot can go wrong. years ago I used an automotive paint gun and set it up to spray rustoleum silver metallic really dry so it left a nice dry rough surface and the picture was amazing except it was too directional and had too narrow of a viewing cone.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'm aware a screen can be painted... But im also aware that its very likely that paint will end up sticking or becoming damaged in some way that would effect performance since we are talking about a reflective screen being rolled up on itself and many ALR mixures are directional reflective screens and a lot can go wrong. years ago I used an automotive paint gun and set it up to spray rustoleum silver metallic really dry so it left a nice dry rough surface and the picture was amazing except it was too directional and had too narrow of a viewing cone.
Paint should definitely not be sticking and become damaged. Speak to some of the members here for the proper mix.

Not a lot can go wrong if you're doing it right.

The viewing cone of the paint mix can be adjusted, it's not a fixed value. You can have whatever viewing cone is required.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Paint should definitely not be sticking and become damaged. Speak to some of the members here for the proper mix.

Not a lot can go wrong if you're doing it right.

The viewing cone of the paint mix can be adjusted, it's not a fixed value. You can have whatever viewing cone is required.
Well my experience has not been quite as simple your suggesting. I painted many different samples of different mixtures well over 10 years ago looking for the perfect screen for my first projector and recently I found those samples, some were stuck together a bit from sitting against each other. The thing with painting a fabric or plyable material is the paint needs to remain pliable without cracking which often means the surface is somewhat soft leaving marks or even sticking to another surface when its resting against it for a period of time.

While im not saying it cant be done because with the correct mixture and process on the correct surface maybe it can but I'm not going to ruin the motorized screen I have now to find out.
Also my current screen does not lay completely flat due to not being side tensioned and with a somewhat reflective screen this will result in an even more unven image. So for my particular setup, paying $770 for a 106" side tensioned motorized ALR screen wont be a waste of my time or money as long as the alr material works for my environment with my projecto placement which was the reason I ordered this fabric above.

BTW I got a shipping confirmation email last night along with a tracking number but if it shipped from china its probably not moving any time soon due to the corona virus commerce halt.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well my experience has not been quite as simple your suggesting. I painted many different samples of different mixtures well over 10 years ago looking for the perfect screen for my first projector and recently I found those samples, some were stuck together a bit from sitting against each other. The thing with painting a fabric or plyable material is the paint needs to remain pliable without cracking which often means the surface is somewhat soft leaving marks or even sticking to another surface when its resting against it for a period of time.

While im not saying it cant be done because with the correct mixture and process on the correct surface maybe it can but I'm not going to ruin the motorized screen I have now to find out.
Also my current screen does not lay completely flat due to not being side tensioned and with a somewhat reflective screen this will result in an even more unven image. So for my particular setup, paying $770 for a 106" side tensioned motorized ALR screen wont be a waste of my time or money as long as the alr material works for my environment with my projecto placement which was the reason I ordered this fabric above.

BTW I got a shipping confirmation email last night along with a tracking number but if it shipped from china its probably not moving any time soon due to the corona virus commerce halt.
I don't know how much the cheapest electronic screen plus the paint will cost, but the paint should definetly not stick or anything like that.

Speak to MississippiMan or Ftoast about this.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 180
@augiedoggy What screen did you end up getting?

I use an xy black crystal 0.8, and Ive been tinkering with shades on either side of the screen and low light light lamps on either side of the shades, as well as an led strip behind and above the screen.

No direct light is hitting the screen and it's been very successfully at providing a high contrast image with low ambient light. Lights off provides pure black like the masking even in low apl content.

Then I have two sets of lights, the first set for darker content with lots of low apl and black, and I'll turn on a second set for more light for brighter content.

I have a third set as well that really brightens up the room and direct light hits the screen, but this is good for high apl content where you dont want lights off and dont have alot of shadow detail.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have only bought the screen mentioned in this thread so far to experiment with. I am looking at this long term.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...88%233325%2311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page